2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Snow socks?

01-27-2011, 03:49 PM   #1
MySport
M40d Phytonic Blue
Rep
Drives: M40d

Unhappy Snow socks?

With the weather we have received over the last couple of winters I thought it would be prudent to invest in some snow socks.

However, after scouring the Internet it appears to the are available for every tyre size except those fitted to the 520d M Sport (275 40 R18).

There are a set listed on e-bay, but they seem to be 'one size fits all' offering.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #2
Aktalacken
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M40i on order

English is not my native tongue, but I'm very pleased to be living in a country where I don't have to put "snow socks" on potent cars...
I'll enjoy driving with my brand new studded Nokia Hakkapeliitta 7 even more now, thanks!

------------------------------------------------
F11 530d xDrive M-sport March prod. on order
Winter driving mantra: Door first!

Last edited by Aktalacken; 01-28-2011 at 12:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 04:20 AM   #3
svowles
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 525d M Sport Touring

Hi.

I think you are out of luck for the AutoSocks, but I believe Spikes Spiders make some very good chains that will fit.

I used to have a 2wd Audi that was taken to the Alps many times. I had no problems in some pretty bad conditions with Spiders on the drive wheels.

Socks are very good though, but you are already aware im sure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-28-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

As a general comment about snow socks, I note that those who use them find the limitations of use and the hassle of when to use, and also the fitting. Can be a right mess.

We've had the discussion in our family, particularly as my brother in law has a Jaguar XJ and it got into trouble last winter, outside my son's house. His car went into limp mode and then into 'protection mode'. Had to be uplifted to the dealers, to reset the car.

So his decision, to have a set of snow socks. This winter, hasn't used the Jag when snow was about. Why? The conditions for fitting snow socks were not really met, other than fitting and then removing, to drive a distance. So he used another vehicle with all season tyres, just for the simplicity of use, saving time and hassle.

We have all kinds of vehicles in the family, FWD, RWD, AWD with a mix of summer, all season and winter tyres. The best car to get around with, my RWD BMW, on winter tyres.

Seriously think of a winter wheel set if you want ease of use and continuous winter mobility. It is typically thought traction is the issue, but it's braking and conering ability that are compromised as well. Don't forget ice, I had a car go out of control in front of me last week, on black ice. I had to brake mid bend, on black ice, winter tyres saved me ditching the car. Tyres paid for themselves in that one incident alone, besides the confidence to drive whatever the conditions.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 08:37 AM   #5
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Living in the Midlands, it's hard to justify the cost of another set of wheels and winter tyres when there's every chance we won't see snow at all in a given winter, or if we do its for the odd day or so and I can get by without driving.

My new job has me driving a couple of times a month up to Liverpool, Manchester or Wigan where I guess the chance of snow is somewhat higher and the risk of getting stuck 140 miles from home because of a snowfall does trouble me.

Snow socks would seem to be a great compromise to get out of trouble. Does anyone have a recommendation for a brand they've used?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0