2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Rules that everyone should follow!!

02-28-2006, 01:10 PM   #23
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobechrome
although I was treated like a pile of steaming doodoo, it was worth the $$.
and that's what i hear from every waiter/tress i know. i have to work with bitchy clients on every day basis who don't like a line on my webpage and want it removed NOW and they call it an outrage and demand a discount and blah blah blah. i just learnt to ignore it and only register the parts where they say "we don't want that line there." so, i just take the bitching and mistreatment as a part of my job cause i know it won't be any different anywhere else, unless i'm on top of the food chain.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 01:12 PM   #24
Phat Ham
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
You'll do way better than 8.40/hr as a stripper and it'll be tax-free also
fixed
      02-28-2006, 01:13 PM   #25
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

I usually tip 20% if it's good (usually it is, I'm not fussy), 18% if he/she messed up a couple things, and like 10% if they just straight up sucked.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 01:14 PM   #26
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vladinecko
and that's what i hear from every waiter/tress i know. i have to work with bitchy clients on every day basis who don't like a line on my webpage and want it removed NOW and they call it an outrage and demand a discount and blah blah blah. i just learnt to ignore it and only register the parts where they say "we don't want that line there." so, i just take the bitching and mistreatment as a part of my job cause i know it won't be any different anywhere else, unless i'm on top of the food chain.
That's well said... that can be applied anywhere. We deal with the same thing with our clients and the software we provide. We get on telecons and they kick and scream and tell us we suck and they want everything done yesterday for less money. We just go about our business and at the end of the day - we still give them a quality product. I'm not going to purposely deliver buggy code/software just because my client cussed me out on a telecon - just like a waiter has no right to spit on food of a rude customer.

As I said before, "customer is always right". Even when you are the top of the food chain, you're most likely going to have some customer somewhere that you're trying to kissass to or please.
      02-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #27
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phat Ham
You'll do way better than 8.40/hr as a stripper and it'll be tax-free also
      02-28-2006, 01:18 PM   #28
BellasBmw
If love is the answer,please rephrase the question
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tit Silver 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharp1183

All in all, I look at it like this: if the waitress knows you're a big tipper, she'll let you sit in the corner away from everyone else, if you ask, and she'll make sure no one "messes" with your food if you've got a reason to send it back....
If i go somewhere that i really like the food, i always tip well cause i will be back and i dont want the waitresses to hate me. When my regular customers come in, the ones i know tip well, i always give them extra stuff. It comes with the perks of the server liking you. If my table comes in that always leaves a mess and tips horribly, i give them the basic service. Sometimes ill try to be REALLY nice, to see if it changes, then it doesnt.

I hate the customer is always right theory. Im gonna open a restaruant that is a server friendly place. Meaning, what we say GOES! hahha.. They have a place here in SD like that. Dicks last resort. The serves are rude (but its part of the atmosphere). Alot of times ill get people that forgot what they ordered, so when i bring the food, they look at me like im an alien. I cant throw a fit and say you are soooo old that you forgot what you ordered, im 22, my memory is 100% dead on. Nope, i have to say.. o.. well, im sorry.. guess i heard it wrong. *then i walk away while cursing to myself* hahaa
      02-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #29
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep
Drives: Entwicklung 90 - 325 Xi

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Sorry about integrating my responses into the body of the quote, but this was the easiest way for me to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellasBmw
These rules apply to everyone.
A few rules to follow for all of you that dine out:
1. Servers make minimum wage, they support themselves off of your pathetic tips. True
2. Do not go out to eat after 10, the servers and cooks have probably began to clean and don't want to do it again. Some people, like doctors, police, nurses, etc have jobs that get them out at various hours. Certainly a server would know that. If you don't want patrons after 10, then change your hours. That being said, I try not to be the guy who sneaks in 5 minutes before closing.
3. Special orders suck, if you are that picky or allergic to that much... eat in. So people with allergies should never eat out? That sounds not quite right, but if servers ruled the world, I guess TV dinners would be better! Anyway, I think it should be acceptable to bring kids to a "Family Restaurant", don't you?
4. Servers are people too, don't talk to them as if they are second class citizens...they will spit in your food. Amen to treating them well. I'm all for that. I say 'please' 'pardon me' and 'thank you'. As far as the threat of them spitting in my food, that should be grounds for dismissal....but maybe that explains how hepatitis is so hard to avoid....
5. Don't shake empty glasses, snap your fingers, or whistle to get a server's attention... they will ignore you. Yeah, that's totally rude. They're people, not dogs
6. If the server asks "Do you need anything else?" only respond if you really really need something, and tell them everything at once, so there isn't a need to make 5 unnecassary trips. My mouth always seems to be full when I get this question. I don't always think of everything instantaneously, tho. Gosh, cut a forgetful guy a break.
7. Tip generously... whether or not you believe they deserve it. Your boss does not hold some of your pay because he doesn't think you deserve it all. I agree with generous tipping (heck 20 or 25 % is easier math, anyway) , but if I don't believe they deserve it, then I generally won't. I think people should be rewarded on performance rather than need. Naturally this will differ based on one's political philosophy.
8. If your server does not seem happy...it's probably because you are crappy to wait on. This goes with the philosophy that the patron is always wrong...something some of us on this forum believe this to be the philosophy at BMW Service
9. Do not go out to eat if you are miserable... no one wants to wait on a grouch and tip extra for being lousy. Go to the bar? See related post on favorite beers!
10. Do not insult your server... she/he handles your food. Amen.11. Do not leave a crappy tip and then say "this is all for you hunny." Leave a good tip, and say, 'no change'. And smile.
12. Leaving change is frowned upon... especially when there are more coins than bills.
13. minimum wage?!? So, if you leave three dollars, and your server ran around, got you drinks, brought your food, refilled drinks, brought more napkins, clean silverware, ketchup, another side of bleu cheese... all for your crummy $3 tip, it's just not right. I think this was point #1
14. If you have not seen your server in awhile... maybe you were being an awful table and they need to bitch about you in the back... next time you ought to be a better table. Oh. I thought y'all were just busy.
15. Do not hit on your server... they do not like you... they just want your tip and it usually makes everyone all around feel awkward, and then they will go in the back and tell the other employees about it, who will in turn come out and stare at you. I agree. It also tends to irritate the wife.
16. A cup of coffe and a glass of water is a pain in the ass to get... so just don't order it. I'm quitting coffee and water tomorrow.
17. If you see your server cleaning around you... it means you have been there too long and they want to go home... no one cleans for fun.
18. Do not bring small children out to eat... they are useless for tips... but if you have to, do not allow them to make a mess, leave your server $3 and expect them to clean up after your scuzzy kid. While I find bringing kids to restaurants a pain at times, I think this one is clearly something which will change after you have kids. I agree that my kids aren't great tippers, tho'. Maybe I should be paying them more for their chores.
19. Do not make lame jokes... no one thinks they are funny. Crap. You probably have already read some of my posts....crap.20. The bigger a tip you leave, the better chance of you being remembered... and then you will get better service and maybe even a smile. True that!
21. Don't ever order hot tea under any circumstances. We don't care if you're sick. And if for some reason you do order it, that should extend the tip to at least 25% Friggin' tea drinkers! Go back to England. Don't you remember how we felt about your tea in Boston?
22. No yourserver cannot take two coupons off of your check, no not even if you are getting separate checks. True
23. It doesn't matter if all 15 of you are getting separate checks, you came in as a party and you are paying the gratuity. True
24. If there is a hostess stand at the front door, do not assume it is a seat yourself restaurant. I usually read the sign.
25. If you want to drink alcohol, bring your ID with you. PERIOD. It is not the servers job to guess how old you are, it is their job to check your ID. True
26. If you have some kind of coupon, discount, or your server comps something for you, you need to tip based on the amount as if you were paying for it. It is not fair when a man and his two bratty kids come in and get $80 worth of food, have a $75 gift certificate, and leave $1.25. That's just bullshit. Amen to that. Free meal or not, tip according to original cost.
Lastly, your poor yet loving server only makes minimum wage and depends on your tips... don't be an asshole, tip 20%...or more.
Please remember these rules next time you dine out. This is point #1 again.

So true! I waitress, and let me tell you.. all of these are right on!
So as you can see, I agree with many of these, but some are clearly myopic in viewpoint. The two things I get out of this are:
1. Treat your server with dignity and respect. Of course you should treat everyone with dignity, but some people like to go out because they take orders all day and finally have someone to boss around. I think that people who are used to giving orders all day are actually apt to be appropriate because they know how to get results, and it's not by being a jerk. I don't think that you should treat people better because they might spit in your food. That's like a valet saying "tip me $10 cuz I just might key your car".

2. Tip well, don't be a cheapskate.

3. Some servers think everything is your fault, and that you should not bring kids to restaurants, have allergies, drink coffee, tea or water. Keep your list of requests at the tip of your tongue, and it should be short. There are no excuses for eating out late, and if your server is nowhere to be seen, it's because you were a jerk- you jerky jerk!. Restauranteers should be screened for TB because they might spit in your food.

I think I just pissed off a beautiful girl.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #30
nabutes
career student
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

Quote:
I hate the customer is always right theory....
You better start getting used to it if you want to start your career in marketing. It's the marketing mantra...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 01:24 PM   #31
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Dick's Last Resort, eh? Ha ha ha!

See, that's the kind of stuff I wish they had around here...places that dare to do something different
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #32
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks
Sorry about integrating my responses into the body of the quote, but this was the easiest way for me to do it.

So as you can see, I agree with many of these, but some are clearly myopic in viewpoint. The two things I get out of this are:
1. Treat your server with dignity and respect. Of course you should treat everyone with dignity, but some people like to go out because they take orders all day and finally have someone to boss around. I think that people who are used to giving orders all day are actually apt to be appropriate because they know how to get results, and it's not by being a jerk. I don't think that you should treat people better because they might spit in your food. That's like a valet saying "tip me $10 cuz I just might key your car".

2. Tip well, don't be a cheapskate.

3. Some servers think everything is your fault, and that you should not bring kids to restaurants, have allergies, drink coffee, tea or water. Keep your list of requests at the tip of your tongue, and it should be short. There are no excuses for eating out late, and if your server is nowhere to be seen, it's because you were a jerk- you jerky jerk!. Restauranteers should be screened for TB because they might spit in your food.

I think I just pissed off a beautiful girl.
I like your imputs on the list. HAHAHA esp the one about irritating the wife. That happened to me, no lie. The husband kept saying how cute i was, and when i asked if they needed a doggy bag, he said how bout you just yourself in a box and i can take that home. The wife looked liek she was ready to BLOW, i felt so bad. They come alot, but just not on my nights..

When i go out to eat, i dont tip extremely well all the time either. If the server sucked, then the tip will suck. You have to earn it, so i get worked up, if i did a really good job, and i get cheated. But if i know i was being rude or something, then im not mad when i see $2
      02-28-2006, 01:31 PM   #33
Nikki
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sepang Z4MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabutes
You better start getting used to it if you want to start your career in marketing. It's the marketing mantra...
I was going to make the "customer is always right" remark too, lol. i'm a marketing major.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 01:42 PM   #34
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not going to purposely deliver buggy code/software just because my client cussed me out on a telecon - just like a waiter has no right to spit on food of a rude customer.
exactly! i'm always so happy when they catch those fuckers that spit on food and get like 10 years in prison because with today's diseases, giving someone hepatitis C or AIDS just because they wanted their steak medium and not rare is simply ridiculous.

it just happened here in pittsburgh the other day where a customer opened his coke after he drank some going through a drive-through and noticed a big spit, the kind that comes all the way from your heels, just floating in his coke. the asshole waiter, or whatever you call them, is facing up to 10 years in prison because he gave the guy some kind of herpes.
1994 E36 325i - Boston Green/Beige/Automatic/ZPP/Heated Seats/Premium Sound - Sold
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 01:50 PM   #35
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Ahhhhhhh! :mad: That's disgusting!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 01:54 PM   #36
BellasBmw
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
I have NEVER spit in someone's food. Thats wrong, even if the person is a complete A-hole, i dont do it.

Yea PR/marketing is a def a customer's always right major. But thats a good thing, cause i have LOADS of experience in it.
      02-28-2006, 01:58 PM   #37
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Ugghhhhh!

Quote:
exactly! i'm always so happy when they catch those fuckers that spit on food and get like 10 years in prison because with today's diseases, giving someone hepatitis C or AIDS just because they wanted their steak medium and not rare is simply ridiculous.

it just happened here in pittsburgh the other day where a customer opened his coke after he drank some going through a drive-through and noticed a big spit, the kind that comes all the way from your heels, just floating in his coke. the asshole waiter, or whatever you call them, is facing up to 10 years in prison because he gave the guy some kind of herpes.
Man, let me know where that is so I don't go there!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #38
kobechrome
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Holy crap! He deserves to die for doing something like that.
      02-28-2006, 02:13 PM   #39
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
i know, people like that should get death by combination of hanging, lethal injection and electric chair. no mercy.

it was a mcdonald's somewhere in the area, i don't remember where. i don't think anyone from that mcdonald's is going to spit in anyone's food anymore...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #40
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
Yuck

As long as it's not North Hills or Monroeville.
I really don't want a McPhlegm drink.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #41
vladinecko
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [9.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
1994 BMW 325i  [0.00]
e90rocks, didn't you see it on the news though? it was on maybe a week or two ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 02:28 PM   #42
deutschmann59
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90rocks
I really don't want a McPhlegm drink.
You guys are really starting to gross me out!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 02:31 PM   #43
e90rocks
Myrmidon
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325 xi  [0.00]
No

Naw, I guess I missed it. Been getting home after work well after evening news and haven't listened to local radio since I got my car (Sirius rocks!). I'll search The P-G.

BTW my sister worked at a North Hills McDonald's while in H.S. now she's a business consultant in DC and makes pretty major bucks. People can learn a lot about customer service if they keep their eyes open, even in these jobs. To the best of my knowledge, she never spat in anyone's food, but she did bring an occasional Big Mac home for me. Since I was 10 y.o. I thought this was like food from Olympus.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #44
findtom
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E60 545i

Garage List
2005 545i  [0.00]
Quote:
If you have never served, then you wouldnt relate. But ive been doing for 6 years.. and you def get to know ALL kinds of people, and deal with every type of situation.

for example: I have this middle aged woman come in with her husband, she wears mouse ears and carries teddy bears in with her everytime she comes. She even asked for an extra chair.

Last night, a couple came in (middle 20's). The guy was plastered and he brought his own beer in his pocket. Then he thought my other table was staring at him, so he went over and put his beer on their table and started talking shit. Then his gf (who was on something) starts crying and getting upset.
Then a older woman came in to order food to go. She began talkin on her cell phone SO loud that everyone and their mother knew what she was saying. And she was saying how she was gonna beat someones ass cause they owed her money..

WTF... haha a day in the life of a server.

Okay the teddy bear thing is really weird. You should offer her high chairs for all of them so she can strap them in like babies.

I have never served, I've heard it is some of the best work/life experience you can get though.... so maybe I'm poorer for it. I've done telemarketing as well as over the phone debt collections those were both pretty shitty jobs that involved dealing with all the wackos the United States had to offer.

Anyway, I tip well and consider myself a pretty well mannered person. I can also sympathize with the shit servers have to put up with... but that person still needs to find a new job.
Appreciate 0