2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Which Exhaust Setup?

09-28-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Which Exhaust Setup?

1) Megan 650i Mufflers just straight up welded into place.

2) Resonator delete with Straight Pipes or X-Pipe with the trapezoid lexus exhaust tips deleted into quad tips.

I just want a LITTLE bit more sound coming out of this thing but I don't want it obnoxiously loud and definitely don't want any drone.

Which exhaust setup would suit my lifestyle best? I have done a lot of reading here but with no definitive answers...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
omer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple3

2) Resonator delete with Straight Pipes or X-Pipe with the trapezoid lexus exhaust tips deleted into quad tips.

I just want a LITTLE bit more sound coming out of this thing but I don't want it obnoxiously loud and definitely don't want any drone.

Which exhaust setup would suit my lifestyle best? I have done a lot of reading here but with no definitive answers...
M performance
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #3
Simple5
Major
Rep

I have a 550i not a 535i
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
pdrf10
A Man of Wisdumb...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10 550i M Sport

I Went the DINAN Route...

After reading your comment:

"I just want a LITTLE bit more sound coming out of this thing but I don't want it obnoxiously loud and definitely don't want any drone"

I wanted to let you know I too did an "exhaustive" amount of research into upgrading the OEM system on my 2011 550i, and came to the conclusion that the DINAN product for our car was the best choice for me.

I had their free flow exhaust system installed earlier today, AND I LOVE IT! It's very classy at idle (sounds just a bit louder than stock, but way smoother and more menacing), but really comes to life when I toe in to the accelerator pedal. I drove around town for a bit after installation with all of the windows down, and really enjoy how it sounds. I then got on the freeway for the drive home, and with the windows up and radio off, there's hardly any increased drone over the OEM set up (just a bit around 2,000 - 2,500 RPM, but in no way offensive or obnoxious).

Step on it for some aggressive driving, however, and you'll know without question that you're not running stock...

Plus, the laser-engraved quad pipes look fantastic too!

I know there were cheaper options out there to consider (as well as a bunch of more expensive ones as well), but in the end, I think I made the best choice when it came to getting a greatly improved exhaust note without having to deal with increased cabin drone. The DINAN set-up maintains the valved system as found on our OEM exhaust, but does a much better job at producing a healthier and much more pleasing sound without being too loud or offensive (which is exactly what I was looking for).

Hope this helps...

Appreciate 0
      09-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
combatbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 20' X3M CP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple3 View Post

Get the LSD system, drone free, and do what I did, get the controller to control the flaps.
When Mine is closed I can barely hear anything, then I just open it and
Retired:2015 M5 CP MSR Intake|Carbon Fiber Fender Vents|Meisterschaft GTC catback with LXR mid pipes and ER Catless DPs | BPMSPORT Stage II Tune | RKP Rear Diffuser and Challenge Center piece |RKP Front Lip| Painted Reflectors | H&R Springs | Strasse SM5R Carbon Fiber Wheels | Nitto R888 |
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2014, 03:55 PM   #6
Simple5
Major
Rep

I decided to go with a resonator delete with x-pipe and exhaust tips that will delete the trapezoids. Will report back once I get everything done!
Appreciate 0