2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 520d M Sport 2,000mile Review

06-07-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
F10N47
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 520D M Sport

520d M Sport 2,000mile Review

My 520d is just 6 weeks old and I'm already past 2,000 miles. To say I'm impressed with this car is an understatement! The M Sport suspension and 19" run-flats are comfortable for 99% of my journeys and really only causes any (minor) discomfort over severe potholes and badly broken surfaces. The competent handling and general feel of the chassis far outweighs the occasional discomfort caused by the stiffer springs and dampers. At 1,000 miles I wondered if I should have specified the VDC system, but now I'm convinced I don't need it. The ride is very, very good. I spent the first 1,000 or so miles in Comfort mode whilst the engine was running in, but now it's always in Sport mode as the gearbox is far more responsive. Economy is still pretty good at 49mpg overall despite the stop-start system being disabled each time I start the engine. It causes far too much stress when waiting to accelerate onto a busy roundabout or out of a side turning!

There have been a couple of issues which needed addressing. The glovebox on the passenger side had an annoying rattle right from day-one. On further investigation it seemed that the door was not closing fully, thereby allowing the plastic latches on each side to move around. I cured this with two small round sticky-pads on the glovebox door in the place where the rubber buffers meet the door when it's closed. This prevents any movement and has totally stopped the rattle. The second issue is somewhat more extensive and appears to be a well documented problem with many models of BMW over the past few years. Namely, a creaking sound from the rear parcel shelf. It did this right from day-one, too, and took a lot of courage for me to finally strip the shelf out to cure it. The creaking sound happened only when the temperature changed fairly quickly and appeared to come from the large plastic vent which runs the width of the parcel shelf underneath the rear glass. It made the noise even when the car was parked. It didn't take much investigation to see it was the plastic vent expanding & contracting as the temperature altered and rubbing against the metal shelf. Because I didn't trust my dealership to keep the Oyster interior clean, I decided to fix it myself. This involved removing the rear C pillar trims, removing the parcel shelf, taking out the plastic vent and covering the underside with felt, then replacing everything. It all went a lot smoother than I anticipated and only took an hour or so. The result is total silence from the rear of the car! I'm happy to provide step-by-step details if anyone's interested ... just pm me.

Last weekend I took advantage of the better weather and gave the car it's first real clean-up (Bilt-Hamber clay, followed by Werkstat Prime/Jett/Glos). BMW's paint is substantially more robust than Honda's offering and it's cleaned up really well. There are a few swirls which I suspect were inflicted by the dealership's PDI, but they can wait a while before correction.

My father was so impressed with the car that he too ordered a new BMW! A couple of weeks ago he took delivery of an Alpine White 125i (E82) M Sport Coupe. The 6 cylinder petrol engine sounds great and the performance is simply amazing. The ride is far less cossetting than my 5 Series, but it's still comfortable and perfectly suits the character of the car.

So, going on my experience to date, I can't imagine me driving anything other than a BMW in the future. It's a truly lovely car to drive and runs rings around all my previous cars in just about every respect

Last edited by F10N47; 06-07-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

My f10 is 7 weeks now, but only 1600km, and I've had no problems at all, so very happy about that.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0