2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding Help!::Bavsound/Bimmertech setup Vs HK setup

09-01-2016, 09:39 PM   #1
535d1420
Private
Rep
Drives: 535d

Help!::Bavsound/Bimmertech setup Vs HK setup

So, I've driven a 235m and 435i and they both had the HK speaker system. Both sounded pretty good and I could really turn the volume up and i heard no distortion.

Now, I currently own a 535d with upgraded bavsound speakers, bavsound underseat woofers, and the bimmertech amp. Yes, the sound is more clear with this set up but I always...ALWAYS hear distortion if i turn up the volume. Now, bavsound told me its my files (same files played in the other two systems was fine) bimmertech told me that they don't have a tune for the 5 series as of early this year. All this is understandable but will my setup always have some type of distortion at higher volumes? I'm not saying its so high that my ears are hurting. I could get up really loud in the HK system where it was uncomfortable but not with my system. Bimmertech told me i could flip two switches on my bimmertech amp to get the music louder. Maybe thats the issue? Does anyone with a similar setup have a similar problem? If so, is it the speakers? the amp? or both?!

Thanks a bunch in advance. This problem has been going on for like 9 months and I'm just not as satisfied as I feel like I should be.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #2
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Have you not hooked up your labtop to make the needed minor adjustments? Sounds liked you hooked everything up but never tuned it?
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #3
535d1420
Private
Rep

Tuned it with the files i got from Bavsound. Same issues.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 02:35 AM   #4
msfive
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 5281

You got to know how to tune it! The tune that's come with don't sound as good as if you know how to tune it. The Bavaudio tune cut a lot of bass & mid's. You need a old pc lab top & do a tune!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 08:33 AM   #5
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfive View Post
You got to know how to tune it! The tune that's come with don't sound as good as if you know how to tune it. The Bavaudio tune cut a lot of bass & mid's. You need a old pc lab top & do a tune!
+1!

exactly. i know Nelson will preset a file for the Bav's but a lot of times it won't sound the same in your car? not sure why that is but that's why you still have to go in and tweak according to your setup and what sounds good to you. what sounds perfect for me may not sound good to you when i built my system in my Titan it took a pretty good hour just going back and forth on what sounds perfect for me. a lot of adjustments on gain control from front to rear speakers. setting the crossover points. setting the crossover points for your lower frequencies to your subs. also setting the gain controls for your lower freq. so you have to keep tweaking and adjusting until you hit the sweet spot. nothing's plug n play.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535d1420 View Post
Tuned it with the files i got from Bavsound. Same issues.
here you go! here's a fellow member who just went through a similar process as you did!:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyGoSlw View Post

This folks is the heart and soul of the system. Once you do the speakers and the Subs, it will beg you to replace the factory Amp. The BavSound speaker kits are efficient, but they really do shine when driven with the clean power of the 82DSP. It is a 70x8 Amp with editable processing via a USB connected PC. I won't bore you with the details but suffice to say that there are more parameters on this DSP that you will want to look at. Everything from parametric EQ functions to seating position and everything else in between. I found the pre-loaded factory Bimmer-Tech tune file parameters works excellent and needed very little to no modification. I tried another tune file that was emailed to me and found that those parameters were not consistent with a tune that had been properly analyzed with a spectrum analyzer. So I went back to the original tune that was pre-loaded and after looking at the parameters I found that those were in fact consistent with a spectrum analysis of the system. Granted it may have been a generic analysis but looking at the EQ settings overall I could tell that specific frequencies were targeted for boosting and cutting. Over all I'm very happy with the tune.

Let me give you the overall impression of the system. This system after all the upgrades sounds spectacular. If I have any issues at all with it, it would be down in the subsonic range. It just doesn't have the 20 to 30Hz range response. But after all, this is a car. I didn't add a Sub box in the trunk so the low frequency range will suffer because of that. Everything else, this system now quite simply kicks royal butt. It has punch, it has a warm mid range, it has clean detailed highs. Doing critical listening in a car is very difficult to say the least, but when I connect my FLAC player to the Aux port of the center console, this system really takes your breath away. I even had my wife tell me the other day as we were enjoying a drive to dinner, she turn over to me as we were listening at a modest volume level, "This stereo system sounds better than most home systems!" I replied, "I know, it does doesn't it!".

I hope this helps anyone else looking to this upgrade to their system. Jump on it, if you're an audio person like me, don't do it half way. You won't regret it. I smile every time I start the car and turn the audio on.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #7
535d1420
Private
Rep

So, i took an audio sample of the distortion. At second 25,26, 27 you can hear the distortion. Is this the amp overpowering the subs??

Thanks for your help in advance! I will get my work laptop to show you what my eq settings are on hopefully tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 02:37 AM   #8
delje08
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 X5M, 13 550i, 04 545i

I get the same distortion with my bavsound setup when turned up, and i dont even have the bimmertech amp.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 07:10 AM   #9
535d1420
Private
Rep

Delje...did you flip any of the pin settings on the actual amp?

Also, for a guy that doesnt know how to tune. What parameters should i be messing with to get rid of that crappy noise?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2016, 07:55 PM   #10
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535d1420 View Post
So, i took an audio sample of the distortion. At second 25,26, 27 you can hear the distortion. Is this the amp overpowering the subs??

Thanks for your help in advance! I will get my work laptop to show you what my eq settings are on hopefully tomorrow.
I would not my speakers sounding like that either. How do you have you Equalizer, Base/Treble, & Balance/Fader Setup?
Appreciate 0