2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Vibration and pulling almost resolved...

07-08-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I bought my 5er with rims from a 6 series. They're 20" rims. Right from purchase the car vibrated and pulled to the right. I was thinking it was alignment and the dealer promised to correct immediately.

The first visit was balancing, alignment and a service bulletin for the electronic steering. No fix for vibration, pulling resolved.

The second visit was upper control arms. No fix

Third was struts, front rotors and brakes. No fix

Forth was road force balancing which ended up replacing 3 rims. 90% fix

Fifth was dissembling and laser precision reassembling of the suspension components. 95% fix

Looking at other posts regarding vibration it seems that the 5 series is plagued with this and no real resolve has been identified. I'm taking it to another dealership and getting another opinion. I am going to try hub centric rings even though these are bmw accessory rims to see if that will clean up that last 5%.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
UPDATES FROM THE DEALER:
They said because my car is a manual and I don't have EDC that this is how the car behaves. They tried with the original 19 inch rims that comes with the car and experienced the same thing. They said they would talk to their rep and I'll guess we'll see what happens in about a week.

I better be getting free oil changes for life!
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

Sorry to hear that! No issues here (knock-on-wood)

Shouldn't they have disclosed that to u when u first bought the car? might be all that power ur getting from that flash tune from GSR! breaking them tires loose! Maybe that's ur vibration!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2015, 02:27 PM   #4
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
So a BMW rep came out and said that the 5 series with a manual transmission and without DHP have an inherent vibration. I call BS, but I asked for a complete list of repairs since I've taken delivery. Already spoke with an attorney and they are in breach of warranty since they checked the box that said "vibration". There is no lemon law for CPO vehicles.

Does anyone have a 535 with manual and no DHP? And does it vibrate at freeway speeds 70-85?

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #5
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Update: another dealership diagnosed my vibration with bad runflats. Which would make sense due to the 3 bent rims. Wouldn't the runflats incur damage if a rim got bent?

Had the BMW rep contact the original dealership I purchased the car from and inform that shop foreman. Now let's see if the comply and replace the tires.

BTW: people have asked about the service where the electronic steering is reprogrammed which cures the pulling. Attached is the paperwork for that service. It's called "program for steer ahead"

FYI: hub centric rings did not help my case.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #6
Johnwhite
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Grey 535i

Ever since I installed h&r I get vibration accelerating to 80
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2015, 11:04 AM   #7
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwhite
Ever since I installed h&r I get vibration accelerating to 80
You might need precision laser assembly or manually release the load of the spring and turn it a few degrees. I'll find my paperwork and post back shortly.

Appreciate 1
      08-17-2015, 03:38 PM   #8
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 640i GC, X5

Same issue here with the vibration/shaking, but only at speeds over 60mph. The car came with 17" stocks and didn't seem to have any shaking. Originally, I bought used 20" wheels/tires and it was shaking like crazy on the highway. I replaced the tires with new tires/re-balanced, etc. and it was still shaking. Thinking it's the used wheels, I just ran out and bought a new set of 20" wheels so as of now, new wheels+new tires. Took it out yesterday and as soon as I hit 60mph, the car started shaking but much less than before but still not perfect. Before, putting the aftermarket wheels on the auction block, my last ditch effort will be to find a Hunter balancer and have that done. If that doesn't work, I'm going back to the ugly 17"-ers.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #9
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Dose your vibration transmit into the brakes at freeway speeds?

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 04:22 PM   #10
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No,not really. The rotors and brakes just got changed 2 weeks ago so these are definitely new. The vibration doesn't really start until past 60mph and when braking, there's no noticeable change in vibration. Hopefully, it's just the balancing. It's a bit odd that I've gone through 2 sets of wheels+tires and still have the same issue. I'm assuming brand spanking new wheels should be pretty round, no pothole damage or anything. With all the F10 owners running 20" wheels here, I'm hoping others have had the same experience and remedy.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 09:51 AM   #11
2tek
Daddy Wagon
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G31

ndinh Did you fix the vibration issue? I just did a whole set of mods and getting a gentle rumble at 110 - 120km/hr
My mods were in stages
1. Stock Springs + Stock 17" = No Vibration
2. ACS Lowering + stock 17" = No vibration
3. ACS Lowering + 20" rims = vibration
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #12
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek
ndinh Did you fix the vibration issue? I just did a whole set of mods and getting a gentle rumble at 110 - 120km/hr
My mods were in stages
No still have it between 65-85mph. Another bmw rep looked at it and claimed bad set of run flats. When I ditch my run flats I'll report back.

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2015, 11:05 PM   #13
ndinh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek View Post
My mods were in stages
Put on some Pirelli P0s and the vibration disappeared. A day later I changed the front to a larger tire (Dunlop sport maxx) and the vibration returned. I just took it to get road forced balanced and the vibration is there but minimal. I truly think it's mainly due to the tires. For now I can live with it until I wear these tires out and get some new pirellis.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2015, 11:22 PM   #14
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinh
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tek View Post
My mods were in stages
Put on some Pirelli P0s and the vibration disappeared. A day later I changed the front to a larger tire (Dunlop sport maxx) and the vibration returned. I just took it to get road forced balanced and the vibration is there but minimal. I truly think it's mainly due to the tires. For now I can live with it until I wear these tires out and get some new pirellis.
I have the dunlop sport maxx too and a BMW rep said my vibration only 20's was due to the tires. Good to hear the Perelli zeros fix that.

Appreciate 0