2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Gas pedal high-frequency 'ticking' sensation and noise

10-06-2011, 04:37 PM   #1
Kernie_K
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White

Gas pedal high-frequency 'ticking' sensation and noise

Hi,

I have a just nearly 2 months old UK F10 520d manual, bought from new. While I was driving just now, I felt something was 'ticking' under my gas pedal, like high frequency ticking that I can hear it and even feel it through my shoe, like something is 'knocking' or 'ticking' under the gas pedal. It is hard to explain, but it sounds like some 'sparking' noise from welding. It only happen at speed below 30MPH and below 3rd gear - didn't feel it while driving at around 70MPH. Not very loud, but definitely can hear and FEEL it!

I went on to touch the gas pedal and it seems to have slight heat on the pedal - not sure if it is due to the heating from the air conditioning, but the break and clutch pedals are cold.

This was the first time it happened, quite shocking! I don't expect to have any mechanical moving component under the gas pedal, and wondering would that be some kind of 'electric short circuit' thing happening down there? Or could that be the malfunction of cruise control?

I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience before? Please help!

Many thanks

Kernie
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Does it only happen once after driving off? If so, that's the ABS self check.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #3
Kernie_K
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Does it only happen once after driving off? If so, that's the ABS self check.
No, it happens during driving randomly but only happens while light press on the gas pedal - like driving at rev below 1500rpm at low speed. I monitored it roday, and it happened again. The strange thing is that I can feel this light 'knocking' or 'ticking' feedback on my foot from the behind the pedal, what kind of mechanism in the gas pedal would actually does this kind of thing? It really puzzles me...!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
radarguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440ix, 2023 X3 M40ix

Since you also describe the ticking as a sparking noise, I suppose it is possible that the gas pedal position sensor is arcing over. The gas pedal has no mechanical connection to the engine controls. Instead an electrically driven sensor measures the pedal position and sends it to the engine control unit. However, if it were arcing over, I would think the whole contraption would stop working or blow a fuse.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarguy View Post
Since you also describe the ticking as a sparking noise, I suppose it is possible that the gas pedal position sensor is arcing over. The gas pedal has no mechanical connection to the engine controls. Instead an electrically driven sensor measures the pedal position and sends it to the engine control unit. However, if it were arcing over, I would think the whole contraption would stop working or blow a fuse.
I think you have a very good point here, but I can't imagine that the voltage in the sensor/transmitter unit would be sufficient to arc over an air gap.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #6
Kernie_K
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Quote:
I think you have a very good point here, but I can't imagine that the voltage in the sensor/transmitter unit would be sufficient to arc over an air gap.
Many thanks for all your input!

The noise is definitely sounds like arcing from electric switch in which I also suspect, but like you guys would have thought this would be some kind of malfunction that will blow the fuse! Today it happened again, I'll observe this for a few more days and if it keeps happening then I'll send it to the dealer to have a check, but my main worry is as it happens quite randomly so the dealer might not pick that up while they have it!

At the mean time if any of you have this problem before, any info would be very much appreciated. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
Expatmarais
France
Rep
Drives: f10 535d MSport

Hi there, I was getting this when in heavy traffic, diagnosed as a sticky mechanism that clicks at the hinge (spring loaded) when it gets warm. It has been fixed although im not sure what my dealer did. Hope this helps/reassures you.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Lol!

We put 50,000 Voltaires in z gas pedal. Z arc give z engine its schmoopernoodle!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon D View Post
Quote:
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #9
grahamcoxon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 G05 3.0D M Sport

Had exactly the same thing.

Took it to the dealer and we couldn't get it to repeat the noise (typical!) but fair play to them, they took it away for the day and found a crack in the throttle mechanism which was replaced the next day.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #10
Kernie_K
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamcoxon View Post
Had exactly the same thing.

Took it to the dealer and we couldn't get it to repeat the noise (typical!) but fair play to them, they took it away for the day and found a crack in the throttle mechanism which was replaced the next day.
Many thanks for your info! The problem is still bugging me. It's sounds like I definitely need a trip to the dealer! I'll keep u guys posted about the progress.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 08:09 AM   #11
dogruyolk
Rep
Drives: Bmw F10 520d

I had the exactly same problem on my 2011 520d. Just left the dealer. Annoying ticking sound seems to be gone. When i asked them what they have done, they told me that there was dirt around the spring under the pedal and they cleaned and lubricated it.

I will test it within a week and leave a feedback how it goes...
Appreciate 0