2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum What is everyone replacing there Run Flats with??

05-13-2017, 12:37 AM   #23
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Because, you cannot fix run flats. This results in throwing away a tire with perfectly good tread life.

Why? Because you can only drive a limited mileage in it's under inflated condition. There is no way to know how many miles were driven on the tire in its deflated condition. That's why they can't be fixed. So, for want of a plug and the number of miles driven while flat, you toss perfectly good rubber into the landfill.
Same thing happens with a non-ROF that can't be repaired.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 12:45 AM   #24
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Like when you get a blow-out at highway speed, and by the time you pull over, the tire is toast. Happened on my E39.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 01:24 AM   #25
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Quote:
Because, you cannot fix run flats. This results in throwing away a tire with perfectly good tread life.

Why? Because you can only drive a limited mileage in it's under inflated condition. There is no way to know how many miles were driven on the tire in its deflated condition. That's why they can't be fixed. So, for want of a plug and the number of miles driven while flat, you toss perfectly good rubber into the landfill.
No. You don't understand.

Run flats can never be repaired.

Non-RSC tires (traditional) can often be fixed and placed back into service with no degradation.

Yes, if a traditional tire gets its sidewall damaged it must be discarded. But, by far, the most damage from nails, screws in the part of the legacy tire that can easily be repaired.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 07:23 AM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:

Non-RSC tires (traditional) can often be fixed and placed back into service with no degradation.

Yes, if a traditional tire gets its sidewall damaged it must be discarded. But, by far, the most damage from nails, screws in the part of the legacy tire that can easily be repaired.
Run-flats can be repaired, in certain conditions. Tire manufacturers don't all have the same criteria. What is pretty consistent for UK users is only one repair, if the repair criteria is met.

Not running at zero pressure is one area where we can influence the possibility for a repair. Top up the pressure, if we must run-on-flat. It is the internal inspection which is critical and typically determines whether it is possible to have a repair.

Tire shops may have a different opinion, some won't repair even where the tire industry allows for a repair.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #27
gabypr
First Lieutenant
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: Jet Black 2015 F10 535i

Garage List
I switched my OEM 351 wheels with the M5 343 ones along some Michelin AS3 tires. Ride is more smoother compared with the run flats.

CQuartz UK 3 Ceramic Coating | GeoShield Pronano 50% Ceramic Window Film | M5 M Perf Steering Wheel | M6 Comp Pkg Mufflers | M Perf Floor Mats | CF Spoiler | RW CF Quad Setup Diffuser | RW CF Front Lip | CF Trim | BMW Interior Leds | M5 343 Wheels | Pure Stg 2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:50 PM   #28
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:

Run-flats can be repaired, in certain conditions. Tire manufacturers don't all have the same criteria. What is pretty consistent for UK users is only one repair, if the repair criteria is met.

Not running at zero pressure is one area where we can influence the possibility for a repair. Top up the pressure, if we must run-on-flat. It is the internal inspection which is critical and typically determines whether it is possible to have a repair.

Tire shops may have a different opinion, some won't repair even where the tire industry allows for a repair.
Nope. Run Flats cannot be repaired.

Even if you could perform a finite element analysis on all of the possible locations in a tire that can be repaired, once you take the size of the hole, the materials used to plug the hole and the various glues it's far to risky for any corporation leader to give its blessing because you now have three different states that the tire must perform: pressurized, partially pressurized, and flat.

Too many variables.

You show me one major tire company willing to repair runflats. There are none.

You have no way to know how many times the tire went flat let alone the distance driven in its flat condition.

This is why I say runflats are an unmitigated ecological nightmare.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #29
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Costco & Discount Tire for two.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 10:52 PM   #30
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Costco & Discount Tire for two.
I said tire company. Those are retailers.

Plus, you haven't shown me anything.

Show me some legitimate corporate communique like an advertisement or other writings that clearly state they will repair RSC run flats.

You think my wheel and tire insurance contracts would rather throw a way a perfectly good run flat rather than repair it if they could?

Nope. Show me something more substantial than your word.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2017, 11:20 PM   #31
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Looks like Continental, Pirelli and Yokohama are the ones that recommend replacement.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=226
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 09:11 AM   #32
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Looks like Continental, Pirelli and Yokohama are the ones that recommend replacement.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=226
Ok, you win.

You know, under any other circumstance I would pat you on the back and say you utterly won the argument.

But, if you read the fine print on the document you provided, it completely contradicts the little chart that says "repair permitted."

I think it's a bait and switch.

Let me research this.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #33
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Certainly a mixed bag of opinion in the UK.

Here's one of our most popular mobile tyre services understanding:

http://www.etyres.co.uk/run-flat-tyr...un-flat-tyres/

Part quote:

Quote:
Official advice on run flat tyre repair

etyres takes advice direct from tyre manufacturers in respect of whether to repair run flat tyres. Currently the following tyre manufacturers acknowledge that, in line with British Standard BS AU 159 and subject to certain other conditions, their run flat tyres can be repaired:
•Bridgestone
•Dunlop
•Firestone
•Goodyear
•Michelin

The following tyre manufacturers advise that their run flat tyres should not be repaired:
•Avon
•Continental
•Hankook
•Pirelli
•Yokohama
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2017, 03:43 PM   #34
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Certainly a mixed bag of opinion in the UK.

Here's one of our most popular mobile tyre services understanding:

http://www.etyres.co.uk/run-flat-tyr...un-flat-tyres/

Part quote:

Quote:
Official advice on run flat tyre repair

etyres takes advice direct from tyre manufacturers in respect of whether to repair run flat tyres. Currently the following tyre manufacturers acknowledge that, in line with British Standard BS AU 159 and subject to certain other conditions, their run flat tyres can be repaired:
•Bridgestone
•Dunlop
•Firestone
•Goodyear
•Michelin

The following tyre manufacturers advise that their run flat tyres should not be repaired:
•Avon
•Continental
•Hankook
•Pirelli
•Yokohama
I knew as I was typing my post that was going to eat my words. How embarrassing.

Although, I still feel that it's a bait and switch in that there is wide latitude for the service center to refuse to repair.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 12:40 AM   #35
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ok, you win.

You know, under any other circumstance I would pat you on the back and say you utterly won the argument.

But, if you read the fine print on the document you provided, it completely contradicts the little chart that says "repair permitted."

Let me research this.
Not a competition in my view. My only intent is to learn as these are my first ROF tires. I've read a lot and as has been said, the available info is a mixed bag at best. It's almost as "bad" as the my-oil-is-better-than-your-oil argument!

Take care my friend!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 02:19 AM   #36
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ok, you win.

Let me research this.
Not a competition in my view. My only intent is to learn as these are my first ROF tires. I've read a lot and as has been said, the available info is a mixed bag at best. It's almost as "bad" as the my-oil-is-better-than-your-oil argument!

Take care my friend!
Look, my point was, and still remains, that there is a dirty side to runflats.

Plus, in response to your point, I did read that some customers have had trouble getting their runflats fixed (by companies allowing repair).

This would suggest there is a seedy side to runflats as well.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 05:49 AM   #37
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Look, my point was, and still remains, that there is a dirty side to runflats.

Plus, in response to your point, I did read that some customers have had trouble getting their runflats fixed (by companies allowing repair).

This would suggest there is a seedy side to runflats as well.
I agree the whole run-flat repair subject is not straightforward. We have tire shop chains in the UK who won't repair any run-flat, even if the user knows the tire hasn't been run-on-flat.

One problem associated with liability, is the customer lying about the use when there is a puncture. The "only a couple of miles mate, since the warning popped up", type comment. I've spoken to a few guys in the business and they just won't take on the liability, or can't get insurance cover for that particular liability.

Then the whole subject of the run-flat has often confused.

We've had some tire shops getting users to sign disclaimers when changing from run-flats to conventional tires on BMW cars.

Then there is the poor history/performance of the first generation run-flats. A current assumption all run-flats, even the latest generation are the same as those fitted back in say 2003.

Changing from run-flats these days doesn't give the same changes as we experienced years back. Some of the latest generation run-flat tires are very close to the vertical stiffness of conventional high performance tires.

I hated the run-flats on my 2006 3-series, changing to conventional tires, made a massive difference to the car. Happily run Continental Sport Contact 3 SSR on my F11, fitted the same again when the first set needed replacing.

Yes, there is a small compromise in tire performance at the extremes. But after the hassle of a spare wheel, mobility kit, etc., in the 3-series, I didn't want the same with the F11 if tire performance had improved, which it has.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #38
flamelauncher14
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: my neighbors crazy!

Garage List
2009 Nissan GT-R  [10.00]
OEMs have Michelins on them, my Niche's have V12s, which are being replaced with sumitomo tires today. I plan on using the OEMs in the Winter
Past: 2011 550i ///M Sport | 2010 M6 Coupe | 2004 BMW M3 Convertible | 2003 BMW 330i
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 08:50 PM   #39
Silent_308
Knees in the Breeze
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10

+1 on the Continentals, I just switched my 5 to those today. I have them on my wife Q5, and they've lasted through some pretty terrible roads here in DC MD VA. As for the ROFs.. never again! I went through 2 sets in two years, replaced 2, twice... Most if not all places will refuse to fix or patch ROFs and for several good reasons:

1) Depending on where you get said loss of pressure... driving on only the support of the sidewall compromises the integrity of the sidewall. Meaning, you are crushing the sidewall making it more susceptible to bubbles or structural separation.. ie a bubble or tit. That alone is not worth the trouble as a repair on such a structurally compromised tire would place liability for any malfunction on the repairer.

2) Most of the shops that you would pull into for emergency repairs will not be equipped to remove the ROF properly or put it back on properly without damaging either your rim or the sidewall. They aren't going to take the chance and either be held liable for any resulting damages to your rim, or issues you may encounter down the road.

3) ROFs are designed to allow you as the operator to maintain control of the vehicle in the event of a sudden loss of pressure..a blowout. The stiff sidewall allows you to safely limp your vehicle to the nearest safe place to stop, not cruise down the highway till you decide you've had enough of that cladding noise. Within a mile or two, yea, but 6+ that tire is toast, and there’s no way of telling just how far you drove without pressure if you pull in with 0psi..

For instance my wife hit a pothole (more like a crater left by a mortar round) on 295 near Baltimore a few nights ago. About 4-5 hours later, when we're leaving the event, I feel that all too familiar ass end bounce coupled with the "thud, dud, thud, dud.." .. My rear end is twerking to the next trap album. On the way home, that tire burst I was able to limp into this Pep boys not to far off the road. Tried as they might, they could not get the tire off the rim..

"PLF and PFL are interchangeable terms when it comes to Holland DZ" -1SG Bailey 319th AFAR
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 12:46 AM   #40
Gilgorm
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i Xdrive GT

Quote:
I agree the whole run-flat repair subject is not straightforward. We have tire shop chains in the UK who won't repair any run-flat, even if the user knows the tire hasn't been run-on-flat.

One problem associated with liability, is the customer lying about the use when there is a puncture. The "only a couple of miles mate, since the warning popped up", type comment. I've spoken to a few guys in the business and they just won't take on the liability, or can't get insurance cover for that particular liability.

Then the whole subject of the run-flat has often confused.

We've had some tire shops getting users to sign disclaimers when changing from run-flats to conventional tires on BMW cars.

Then there is the poor history/performance of the first generation run-flats. A current assumption all run-flats, even the latest generation are the same as those fitted back in say 2003.

Changing from run-flats these days doesn't give the same changes as we experienced years back. Some of the latest generation run-flat tires are very close to the vertical stiffness of conventional high performance tires.
Just to throw another log on the fire.

I had a 3.5" screw through the centre of the tread on my Dunlop winter run-flat. The car was fully loaded with passengers and luggage. I drove on the tire for three days over the Christmas holidays. I went to my tire shop and saw the inside of the tire. The entire inside was shredding and the sidewalls were visibly flattening. The tire was NOT repairable.

My second flat was on one of my GY LS2s. Same type of screw through the tread. However, this time I knew better and constantly kept the tire inflated every few gas stations on my way to the same tire shop. Other than the screw there was no visible sign of inside stress and no shredding. That tire looked perfect and was easily repaired just like a regular tire. It was on my car three years.

Please note that Canadian F10s don't have TPMS with sensors. They have a FTM(Flat Tire Monitor) which tells you the tire is flat when it has 0 psi. So both tires ran flat. The difference was the distance. The Dunlop for a longer period over a period of days while the GY was only flat for a short time due to the constant fill-ups.
So if you have a tread flat, keep the tire inflated and you may be able to save it.
2018 640ix GT; Alpine White, Blk Nappa, Piano; M-sport, Premium (Ceramic, SIRIUS, Soft-close, Vent/Massage Comfort seats, Surround, Sunshades, Parking Ass't), Advanced Driver Ass't (Lane keep, Steering/Lane control, Cross traffic, ACC with Stop/Go), Smartphone, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i, 12 BMW 535i X-drive
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 11:32 AM   #41
Pavement Molestor
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i N52 RWD

I have yokohama ig52c winter tires and pilot super sports. love both sets of tires.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #42
Bbmw535
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.Hunter View Post
I have to ask.

I'm looking into buying an F10 535i. And I know they come with Run Flats.
I am aware that just about Everyone hates the Run Flats, for good reason I'm sure. I have heard that some have purchased an E60/E90 Spare Tire & Jack Kit to put inside the Trunk. And bought Standard Awesome Tires at all 4 Corners.

How many Miles do your cars go on a set of Tires? Run Flats don't last as long, cause they have such a stiff Side Wall the Tread takes all the impacts of the road. But with a set of Standard All Season Tires, how long do they last?

I am from the F-Body community, and know a thing or 2 about Performance Tires. [BF Goodrich G-Force Series are the best All Season Ultra-Performance Tires for a Performance Car with a somewhat Stuff Suspension on 16" Wheels]

I'm sure these cars already have a rather Cushy though Sophisticated suspension, and the G-Force A/S's may not be as Suitable for such a car with 18" Wheels.

I'm not sure if Ultra High-Performance tires are the right thing to put on a 535i, compared to Grand Touring tires.
Performance Tires are a little more stiff, providing better Control and Handling around turns and a good Feel for the Road.
Some performance tires tend to be 'Sticky'. (Most tend to have a stiffer sidewall to maintain control when turning the wheel fast or hard)
Touring Tires are all about a smooth, quiet ride with little to no road-feel. But still have plenty of Traction in all weather conditions, especially Winter Weather. (And a softer sidewall gives better Traction in slick weather conditions)

Clearly, a Touring Tire will last longer than a Performance Tire.

So what tires are on your F10?!? And how long do they, or do you Think they will last?? What Tire / Wheel Sizes?
I replaced my run flats with 255 Michelin sport as+ i believe and absolutely love them. The ones that came on the car are junk and my whole car felt like a cart or a bucket when driving over bumps and pot holes. They also started chipping off!?!? Horrible pieces were coming out.
Now my f10 feels like new and what bmw should feel like from factory.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 12:17 AM   #43
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Days after buying my 2016 X3, I had a large puncture in an OEM GY RF. I took it to a local General Tire outlet and asked about possible repair. Before removing tire from wheel, the manager provided a qualified response: depending on brand, some RF are constructed with a dense foam liner designed to help support an underinflated sidewall. Other brands (including GY's) use very rigid sideways instead. The latter design could be patched because there was access to the inner tire and puncture, while those with the foam insert bonded to tire carcuss permitted no access. His response might better explain why some brands of RFs are repairable while others aren't.

Nevertheless, mine are coming off as soon as I can justify cost of conventional-tire replacements.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 09:04 AM   #44
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
I'm running BF Goodrich G Force Comp 2 A/S on 20" and these are the best god damn tires I've ever owned. 10k miles on the rears and they are still holding like they're brand new. Slight wear. I'm hoping I can see 25k off these things unlike my RF where 10k they were shot. Only down side is ugly sidewall, but well worth the trade off in performance.
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0