2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 5-series spyshots keep rolling in, this time in space gray

07-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #23
spikes111
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

I'm digging this car like everyone else!
Attached Images

07-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #24
Mii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Nice find! The short front/rear bumper really made the F10 stance looked great with long wheel base. The proportion seemed like the rebirth of E46!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #25
Empowered
Private
Rep
Drives: VW GOLF GTTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
pretty obvious by the way - the rear headlights. Have u forgotten the previous 7, 5GT, prerestyle 3 series 5 door, etc??

I read an interview with some car designer, cant remember who, and he said bmw just wanted to provoke, his brand wanted to make beautifull cars.
in regard to the pre LCI 3 and previous 7- yes but that was when BMW were developing the new look. Now I dont see them being so radical. I happen to like the new rearlight styling and graphics on the GT and X1, so see no problem there.

I also think BMW styling although not always conventional, grows on you over the life of the car and as a result looks less dated than its rivals- for instance the current 5 vs previous e-class, Jag S-type etc.
      07-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #26
matze328
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Alpina B3S Coupé

some more:

07-15-2009, 05:07 PM   #27
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Honestly it just looks like an over-sized e90 with a version of the new 7er on the front...

While I agree its time for an updated car, why so bland?

The current 5er was somewhat controversial, not as controversial as the 7er but similar, which is part of the reason I find it attractive...

Hopefully we'll see some drama when all of the camo falls off.

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #28
MCMLXXXIX
wat
Rep
Drives: a gr3at whit3 5hark

those dual exhausts look a little far apart dont they? and the tips are so small

2012 Toyota Highlander SE - PAST - 2008 e92 335i, 2006 e90 325i
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 06:38 PM   #29
bmwF10
Dark Knight
Portugal
Rep
Drives: Ask NASA.

The 3 only things i "don't like" : Pig nose too out, the dual exhausts too small, and the rear drive light (i think is big or a bit dislocated)

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 2000 328i

first of all, to all the ppl saying that this is bland I can almost guarantee you that when it is unveiled it will not be bland. BMW has carefully put the camo in all the right places and with that camo design it does an excellent job of making the car look very bland. the "character" crease (or w/e you wanna call it) that runs from the front to rear on the sides, cutting through the door handles, is very well camoed, it looks like the side of a Camry. trust me, all that camo is thought out first of all as to where it goes, it's not just ripped from the car randomly when the tester feels like he wants to peal more camo off cause he's bored. so ya.... IT WON'T BE BLAND!!!

and i really love what they did to the front looking at it from the side profile. it looks like they borrowed this from the CS concept, the nose as you go up from the ground is angled forward instead of the traditional angling back to be more "aerodynamic". i think this makes it look very nice because it's very subtle and makes it look aggressive and classy at the same time. exactly how a 5 series, or a BMW for that matter, should be like IMO.

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #31
samuraisaiyo
First Lieutenant
Thailand
Rep
Drives: 318i E36

Comming Soon
      07-16-2009, 02:34 AM   #32
Los Angeles
Steve Forte Rio
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 08' 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
While I agree its time for an updated car, why so bland?

The current 5er was somewhat controversial, not as controversial as the 7er but similar, which is part of the reason I find it attractive...
Because they no longer have Bangle.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 02:53 AM   #33
Empowered
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles View Post
Because they no longer have Bangle.
Bangle will have had input in this car. He said many times that the initial looks of the new styling would shock but this generation would be evolutionary and would refine what was started previously.

I think its fair to say that its the next generation of cars that he will not have had any input in, as the design department are usually well in front of what we see.
      07-16-2009, 04:25 AM   #34
Antinontoxic
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empowered View Post
Bangle will have had input in this car. He said many times that the initial looks of the new styling would shock but this generation would be evolutionary and would refine what was started previously.
Exactly.

E60 was a revolution over E39 and F10 will be evolution of E60. After 7 years we can again expect lambo-doors, 5 wheels, 3 doors and no windscreen as they have to do a revolution over F10
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 06:39 AM   #35
drivendriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 E83 X3

So far, it looks a lot like a supersized 3-series.

Personally, I find the current Bangle design more elegant and distinctive.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #36
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by italy430 View Post
first of all, to all the ppl saying that this is bland I can almost guarantee you that when it is unveiled it will not be bland. BMW has carefully put the camo in all the right places and with that camo design it does an excellent job of making the car look very bland. the "character" crease (or w/e you wanna call it) that runs from the front to rear on the sides, cutting through the door handles, is very well camoed, it looks like the side of a Camry. trust me, all that camo is thought out first of all as to where it goes, it's not just ripped from the car randomly when the tester feels like he wants to peal more camo off cause he's bored. so ya.... IT WON'T BE BLAND!!!

and i really love what they did to the front looking at it from the side profile. it looks like they borrowed this from the CS concept, the nose as you go up from the ground is angled forward instead of the traditional angling back to be more "aerodynamic". i think this makes it look very nice because it's very subtle and makes it look aggressive and classy at the same time. exactly how a 5 series, or a BMW for that matter, should be like IMO.

Wow, I'm so excited to see what ONE crease in the side of a car will do to make it look more dramatic...

lol

The trunk is shaped like an e90 and the side will have one body line...

wow

On the flip side, what you mentioned about the front, I had not yet noticed. It will be interesting to see how that looks without the camo, and in person, however, I'm guessing it will be a shrunken version of the new 7er...

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #37
Antinontoxic
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep

Quote:
I'm guessing it will be a shrunken version of the new 7er...
At least they did not use photocopier as Audi does...

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #38
Empowered
Private
Rep

Good point, I think Audi are coming to the stage where BMW were pre Bangle- 'same sausage- different lengths'. It will be interesting to see if they come in for the same criticism BMW did, and how it will affect their styling.
      07-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #39
bmwF10
Dark Knight
Portugal
Rep

i would like they put the 750i dual exhausts on the 550i =DDD

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 11:21 AM   #40
bmwF10
Dark Knight
Portugal
Rep

i think the best rendering so far is this from valencia, and i think it will be like that wich is a good think i guess

Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #41
bloomjbmw
Private
Rep
Drives: MY 2008 135i

F10

To me it looks like the next iteration of the e39. I still love the e39 so this is great IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 05:47 PM   #42
135Eye
Accountants have fun 2!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Silber

Quote:
Wow, I'm so excited to see what ONE crease in the side of a car will do to make it look more dramatic...

lol

wow

On the flip side, what you mentioned about the front, I had not yet noticed. It will be interesting to see how that looks without the camo, and in person, however, I'm guessing it will be a shrunken version of the new 7er...

What are you talking about... You act as if the E60 has some huge crazy side sculpting going on. The E60 is quite a bland design except for the front headlights. Most modern BMWs have fairly flat sides with just the right bumps here and there, if you don't like that styling facet of the car then you just dont like BMWs at all. Please don't bring up the E36 or E39. Im sorry, but the 90s and black mouldings on the sides are gone and they won't come back.

Now return to the current spy photos and look at it more carefully, theres obviously the main swash line which runs along the door handles similar to what the E90, X5, X6, F01, F07, etc.. have Also if you notice the black taping on the bottom of the side panel, it actually bumps out, so there is a curve there that will give alot of depth to the side view, especially with a metallic color.

Now the Front and rear of the car are still taped up, and those are some of the most distinctive and important styling features of any car, those haven't been revealed yet, so being critical of something you haven't seen yet just makes you look... well... I won't say it.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #43
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:

lol

wow

Just reiterating what 135Eye said... you should take a closer look at the current 5 series. i can bet you a lot of money that one "crease" along the side will be more prominent on the F10 than on the current 5 series. basically i think a way to describe what the F10 will be like is this: it will be the current 5 series, sculpted more, more character added to the big sheetmetal areas (hood, trunk, sides of the car), and then soften ALL the lines of the car without taking away any of the "depth" of the character lines, creases, sculpting, etc.

that's a very basic way to took at it and obviously the front is pretty much completely redesigned. like you said it being a shrunken version of the new 7, i agree with that but i believe it will be more "sculpted/aggressive" than the 7, and the M5 even more aggressive! . i think you will be surprised at how much better the F10 will look compared to the current 5... but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2009, 11:40 PM   #44
italy430
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antinontoxic View Post
At least they did not use photocopier as Audi does...

haha ya.. when i saw the A5 sportback i was like really?!

ya, IMHO... WAY too closely designed. kudos to Audi if they pull it off and have good sales between all 3 models but like you said with them being photocopies... reminds me too much of what GM did making the exact same vehicle with different badges (this is a little different tho)... and everyone knows how GM is doing right now, and that was a factor in why they went down. i just think those A4, A6 and A5 sportback models make buyers stressed because can't make their mind up. then they go to say BMW and are like ok, i want the 5 series or i want the 3 series which are hugely different and then thye just have to pick what engine and what packages they want from a decently short list. i think BMW does quite a good job of packaging and making it easy for customers so they have less decisions to make. for me personally, i hate it when they offer soo many options and it takes you forever to decide and wonder do i want that, well what if i dont' get that option and get this option instead... hmm.... hmm.. hmm. but when there are less packages, easier decision, less stress (you're spending between like $35,000 and $120,000 and anywhere in that range I think you'd like to make sure you're getting the right one and what you like), and i think more satisfied.

on the other end of the scale, the Aston martins, rolls royce, bentleys, lambos, etc where you can specify exactly what you want down to the stitch color, that works FANTASTICALLY!! they're not mass market cars and owners want their vehicles to stand out and be different and be unique and exactly to their taste. there is a different mentality when purchasing a very expensive, exotic car than purchasing a "lower end" vehicle.

i can see a $120,000 BMW being more "customizable" than say the 3 series but as an overall trend i believe less is more in terms of "options" on vehicles. i think there is an overall trend that the more money ppl pay for something, the more they want to be able to customize and also equally important, the less ppl pay for something, the more they want customization to be simpler.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion!
Appreciate 0