2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Thoughts on a 2011 535i 6 speed for sale

12-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: I6-> iX

Thoughts on a 2011 535i 6 speed for sale

Came across a pretty clean 535i manual shift car. I realize we've debated the 50i to 35i on power standpoint. But what about a used car value?

The car is loaded but there are two options it lacks that make me think it might not be the find of the century for me.

1. Adjustable suspension is missing. This is the option that allows you to ride in comfort - sport plus. How would this affect future resale? IS this option a must have on a 535i?
2.Wood trim. It has antracite verses burl wood. I've always thought the burl on the 5 was inviting... can anyone post a manual transmission with antracite?
3. Gray ceiling lining... its got sports pack but lacks the black ceiling color...
4. Oyster leather. I have heard its a lot of work to maintain. A tale or is it easier than many have said?

Thanks for input! I realize the trim could be switched out, but would that create creaks and moans in an otherwise factory built car?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-sport

1: Definitely a must have option. Not sure about resale, but for personal use it is.

4: I have Oyster leather, and maintaining it isn't hard at all. Everything just wipes off. I use Scholl Spam. But it's not something you need to do very often. I haven't heard any tales about it being hard to maintain, but if there is any at all, it has to be vastly exaggerated.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
1: Definitely a must have option. Not sure about resale, but for personal use it is.

4: I have Oyster leather, and maintaining it isn't hard at all. Everything just wipes off. I use Scholl Spam. But it's not something you need to do very often. I haven't heard any tales about it being hard to maintain, but if there is any at all, it has to be vastly exaggerated.
Can anyone chime in who has a non adaptive suspension? Honestly I've driven the 5 series multiple times. ALL of the cars had it. Anyone care to explain if their driving experience is good without it?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
vdubturbo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90, E36, 997

I have oyster and the non-black headliner. Oyster looks great and is not hard to clean at all. Lexol leather cleaner easily takes off dirt and grime. No one ever notices the non-black headliner... even myself.

As for the suspension, I have never driven the electronic version. I can say, though, that I'm perfectly happy with the 535i w/sport (non-electronic) suspension. But I live in an area that's so congested it's hard to push a car anyway.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

The thing with the electronic suspension is that when going fast in corners, the car still stays almost perfectly level.

Check this out:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759602
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #6
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
My 2011 535i without adaptive suspension, but with Eibach springs, is a pleasure to drive and is very responsive without being ADHD. The roads here in San Diego vary in quality but the freeways are universally very good. I did put Eibach springs on my car and the ride is much more what I expected it should be than it was with stock springs.
I do have oyster, which has been easy to keep clean. I'm the car's second owner, and the only soiling done by the previous owner is in the driver's side door "pouch/pocket" on the door armrest. It looks like the previous owner used it to store opened pens and I have had no luck cleaning the marks from the plastic. The leather surfaces all clean nicely using normal leather cleaning supplies.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 02:37 PM   #7
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubturbo View Post
I have oyster and the non-black headliner. Oyster looks great and is not hard to clean at all. Lexol leather cleaner easily takes off dirt and grime. No one ever notices the non-black headliner... even myself.

As for the suspension, I have never driven the electronic version. I can say, though, that I'm perfectly happy with the 535i w/sport (non-electronic) suspension. But I live in an area that's so congested it's hard to push a car anyway.
Thanks. Maybe less gadgets = a better ride?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
The thing with the electronic suspension is that when going fast in corners, the car still stays almost perfectly level.

Check this out:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=759602
fascinating... figures the M5 is the car they show the advancement on...
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #9
JK479
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
My 2011 535i without adaptive suspension, but with Eibach springs, is a pleasure to drive and is very responsive without being ADHD. The roads here in San Diego vary in quality but the freeways are universally very good. I did put Eibach springs on my car and the ride is much more what I expected it should be than it was with stock springs.
I do have oyster, which has been easy to keep clean. I'm the car's second owner, and the only soiling done by the previous owner is in the driver's side door "pouch/pocket" on the door armrest. It looks like the previous owner used it to store opened pens and I have had no luck cleaning the marks from the plastic. The leather surfaces all clean nicely using normal leather cleaning supplies.
I wonder if a mechanic would have the ability to add springs easily. Would this void a BMW warranty? Maybe just the old springs?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
LiveLarger
Second Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3355 View Post
fascinating... figures the M5 is the car they show the advancement on...
It was available on the F10/F11 before the M5 hit the market. But it's great stuff
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
MWPos
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Garage List
2013 535i  [0.00]
In reply to JK3355, please review http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781186 for a spring installation discussion. There are several others in addition to this one. BLUF: A mechanic can install the springs, but there is much more to the job than the manual labor. MY BMW SA told me that if any component breaks whose failure could be blamed upon the new springs then BMWNA's stance is that the warranty is void FOR THAT ITEM. My SA has taken my car in for a brake clanking noise, and fixed it, even after the new springs were on the car. He gave me the struts and contol arms as examples of items which would be out of warranty if they fail after the springs were installed. If you want to wait until the spring of 2013, Dinan will be releasing their 535 F10 upgrades then. Pun intended, you can get springs in the spring. Dinan takes over any aspect of the car's warranty which its products could affect. The problem with Dinan is the cost, but with your money you'll also buy peace of mind.

Last edited by MWPos; 12-18-2012 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: accuracy
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
OnlyTruth
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWPos View Post
...He gave me the struts and control arms as examples of items which would be out of warranty if they fail after the springs were installed. ...
In my case BMW refuses to warranty upper control arm insinuating that I hit a pot hole. No modifications whatsoever. It is a long story, but another dealership was able to align the car without a control arm change.
The bottom line is if BMW wants to screw you it will.

2011 535 iX lemoned
Appreciate 0