2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum M5 front bumper fit?

10-30-2012, 01:07 PM   #23
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

So I should probably clarify... I'm pretty sure I didn't come off as a jerk to the guy with the 528. I asked him first about the car because it was my favorite color, DGII. Then (playing dumb) why it was missing the badge.

He said HE took it off. I then asked for a little more detail and said that the 535 looks better with a clean rear.

That was not a 535. And that's when I called his bullshit and he told me to go fuck off.

As for the diffuser I love how this keeps coming up by people on here wanting to pathetically attempt to challenge my opinion. As i said numerous times in other posts I didn't like the rear of my car and wanted something body colored. I wasn't wanting to spend thousands on a CF diffuser. So I bought a part and I knew it wouldn't work before it even arrived because someone else tried it first so I never even installed it. I just sold it.

The regular F10 non-sport has a different rear bumper so that piece wouldn't work. And my body shop advised against painting the M Sport diffuser. So there was a perfectly valid reason. This was the only OEM option I had and I didn't agree with it.

Perhaps fact checking before accusing will serve you better in future.

Besides, the diffuser is inconsequential to my argument. The front end - what the OP asked about - is for the M5. The rear bumper is a common piece among the M/M Sport F10 models. From a distance I couldn't tell if it were a non-sport 550 or M5. From the front though its a dead giveaway.

I'm not going to waste my time responding to some other stuff here. But I will say I bought this car because of how it drives. Not because of what it is.

While I paid for this cash I took a gigantic loss trading in my 7 month old 550. I did it because I couldn't make the 550 handle any better.

The OP can certainly do what he wants. I'm sorry I have an opinion... And also sorry that some of you are fellow BMW drivers.

The M brand is just sacred to me and I hate seeing fakes.
      10-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #24
snj1013
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV0LVE View Post
When somebody tells you to fuck off on your face, you gotta know you're doing something off.

To even post it on a forum... You da man mr m5! Enjoy your prestige.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #25
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj1013 View Post
+1
Yeah, yeah. See above for context.
      10-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #26
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
So I should probably clarify... I'm pretty sure I didn't come off as a jerk to the guy with the 528. I asked him first about the car because it was my favorite color, DGII. Then (playing dumb) why it was missing the badge.

He said HE took it off. I then asked for a little more detail and said that the 535 looks better with a clean rear.

That was not a 535. And that's when I called his bullshit and he told me to go fuck off.

As for the diffuser I love how this keeps coming up by people on here wanting to pathetically attempt to challenge my opinion. As i said numerous times in other posts I didn't like the rear of my car and wanted something body colored. I wasn't wanting to spend thousands on a CF diffuser. So I bought a part and I knew it wouldn't work before it even arrived because someone else tried it first so I never even installed it. I just sold it.

The regular F10 non-sport has a different rear bumper so that piece wouldn't work. And my body shop advised against painting the M Sport diffuser. So there was a perfectly valid reason. This was the only OEM option I had and I didn't agree with it.

Perhaps fact checking before accusing will serve you better in future.

Besides, the diffuser is inconsequential to my argument. The front end - what the OP asked about - is for the M5. The rear bumper is a common piece among the M/M Sport F10 models. From a distance I couldn't tell if it were a non-sport 550 or M5. From the front though its a dead giveaway.

I'm not going to waste my time responding to some other stuff here. But I will say I bought this car because of how it drives. Not because of what it is.

While I paid for this cash I took a gigantic loss trading in my 7 month old 550. I did it because I couldn't make the 550 handle any better.

The OP can certainly do what he wants. I'm sorry I have an opinion... And also sorry that some of you are fellow BMW drivers.

The M brand is just sacred to me and I hate seeing fakes.
As for fact checking, none of your statements bring new facts to your argument. It's just your opinion on what arguments validates putting on a M5 diffuser in your book, and why that is NOT a replica of a M5. Those are your views and you might argue them. But attacking other people who have similar arguments for putting on other body parts comes across as a little bit of double standards...

I love how you are able to argue your own belief that the M5 diffuser is NOT a exclusive, or stand out, part for the M5 whereas any other part (that you haven't ordered yorself) IS what defines the M5. So, following your argument, any other body part, apart from the diffuser, is a big NO NO to put on a F10 It's also interesting that your reason for trying out the M5 diffuser constitutes a valid reason to put on M5 parts, whereas no other reasons are valid...

If the M brand is sacred, why on earth did you buy an M5 diffuser for your plane jane 550i? Surely that's just as much of a fake as putting on a M5 bumper. At least it is IMHO. Driving behind a car in a queue gives you a much closer look and longer time to check out the rear in front of you (no pun intended) and thereby more time to notice that it's a M5 (or at least a car with a M5 diffuser) in front of you...

It's obvious that you don't feel that the 528i is worthy of being a BMW and that owners of such vehicles are to be belittled (pathetic is the word you used I guess...)

No one blames you for having an opinion, it's just that you accuse others of doing what you have done yourselves that doesn't really add up. Since you argue that putting on a M5 diffuser doesn't constitute faking a M5, then perhaps you should be more humble and appreciate that that is just your opinion and others might argue likewise regarding the front bumper.

I'm also sorry that you feel that other people on this forum are not worthy of being BMW drivers.

For me the difference between a regular F10 and a M5 rear are quite easily distinguishable:

Last edited by Boss330; 10-30-2012 at 05:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Nice pictures.

So here's the point I'm trying to make: every time I share my opinion on here I get attacked. I'm sorry, but it is a public forum and I am entitled to share my thoughts. This should be a community and there should be respect. Clearly there isn't at times, and that's why I said it's unfortunate that some people here are BMW drivers because I expect a certain level of decorum among us.

I'm not trying to belittle 528 owners. I belittle those who are too self-conscious about their purchases and feel they have to hide what they really have. And to convert a 528 into an M5? That is pathetic. You're taking one of BMW's slowest cars [no offense intended] and making it look like it's one of their fastest. How exactly is that right? I can't wait for somebody with an ActiveHybrid 5 to do the same thing. :rollseyes:

As for the diffuser, yes... I guess you could loosely argue that I was doing the same thing I'm accusing the OP and others of. So I apologize to the OP if his intention isn't to make his car look like an M5. My car didn't look like your pics, though. I had the Dinan quad exhaust - which changed the look to begin with. I wanted better sound out of my car and I wanted a different insert to better highlight the exhaust. The M5 diffuser was the only OEM option at the price I wanted to pay.

BUT... I never installed it. Though if I did my plans were to paint the inner piece white to make it look LESS like the M5 diffuser! My 550 remained a 550 w/M Sport for the entire 7 months I owned it. The ONLY change I made was to replace the 550i badging with a Dinan badge since the car was a 14/15 point Dinan car after I went Stage 4. [A debate for another day - cars with unauthorized Dinan badges.]

There's a lot more involved to a front-end conversion than snapping out a piece of plastic that costs less than $100. That's my point here. Modifications and replacements are required that are costly. So you really need to be committed to the end product. If you look at your pictures above - from the front - it's easy to spot the M5: unique bumper, unique fenders, etc. I personally can't reliably use the rear since there are so many aftermarket exhausts, diffusers, etc. out there for this car - far less for the back than the front. And that's not for the sake of my argument. That's just fact. People could've mistaken my Dinan exhaust for the M5, etc., etc. It's more than just tips and a diffuser. And you never saw me saying I'm ordering the M5 front bumper or fenders.
      10-31-2012, 03:18 AM   #28
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for a well articulated and reasoned reply.

I feel that the reason you get "attacked" when you "share your opinion" is that the way you share your opinion seems like an attack on other peoples views and/or cars. If you attack others, you should be prepared to have people raise their voices and air their disagreement with your views. Thats your fellow forum members way of sharing their view.

Just like in every other area, if you hold strong views and are prepared to stand up for them, you should also be prepared that other people have strong views that are different than yours. It should not be about attacking each other and calling someones car or views as "pathetic".

BTW, the 528i/530i is a upmarket version in most European countries. The big seller over here is the 520d (and it took a few years before the 520d became accepted as a "proper" 5-series). Maybe us Europeans have become more used to smaller capacity engines being part of the 5-series (as it seems that "elitist old world" europeans aren't so concerned with these issues as "equal new world" americans are). I guess when you are used to the fact that about 90% of the 5-series you meet are 520d's then a 528i isn't such a "unworthy" car anymore
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 06:03 AM   #29
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
Thanks for a well articulated and reasoned reply.

I feel that the reason you get "attacked" when you "share your opinion" is that the way you share your opinion seems like an attack on other peoples views and/or cars. If you attack others, you should be prepared to have people raise their voices and air their disagreement with your views. Thats your fellow forum members way of sharing their view.

Just like in every other area, if you hold strong views and are prepared to stand up for them, you should also be prepared that other people have strong views that are different than yours. It should not be about attacking each other and calling someones car or views as "pathetic".

BTW, the 528i/530i is a upmarket version in most European countries. The big seller over here is the 520d (and it took a few years before the 520d became accepted as a "proper" 5-series). Maybe us Europeans have become more used to smaller capacity engines being part of the 5-series (as it seems that "elitist old world" europeans aren't so concerned with these issues as "equal new world" americans are). I guess when you are used to the fact that about 90% of the 5-series you meet are 520d's then a 528i isn't such a "unworthy" car anymore
I didn't realize you were in Europe. I wish BMW offered more diesels here. I'd take the M550dx over the M5 any day. And no, I wouldn't stick an M5 anything on it.

I agree my opinions are often harsh. But I think you'll notice that it usually only happens after I get confronted with equally harsh replies. I think Evolve was a bit rude in suggesting that the guy I talked to was somehow in the right and that I deserved his response. He did the very thing I'm so vocally critical of and called him out on his blatant lie.

I will say that the 528 is not unworthy by any means. It's very economical and efficient. I could very well drive one in the future should gas prices continue to rise.

I do stand by my pathetic comment, though. The example cited is precisely why. That M5 conversion car screams performance. Absent the M5 conversion it still is silly. The exterior modifications are in no way backed up by the engine above the front wheels. All show, no go... if you will. Legitimate M cars do not fit that statement.

I appreciate the time and effort that people spend on their cars. I always love looking at pictures here. There are lots of options that don't entail putting model-specific parts on the wrong model. That's all. I can't stop it but I can certainly disagree with it. If it makes someone happy I'm all for it so long as they don't try to pretend it is something it isn't. Make sense?
      10-31-2012, 06:33 AM   #30
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Great thread

Too bad there isn't a flogging a dead horse animation -would be perfect here
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 02:30 PM   #31
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I didn't realize you were in Europe. I wish BMW offered more diesels here. I'd take the M550dx over the M5 any day. And no, I wouldn't stick an M5 anything on it.

I agree my opinions are often harsh. But I think you'll notice that it usually only happens after I get confronted with equally harsh replies. I think Evolve was a bit rude in suggesting that the guy I talked to was somehow in the right and that I deserved his response. He did the very thing I'm so vocally critical of and called him out on his blatant lie.

I will say that the 528 is not unworthy by any means. It's very economical and efficient. I could very well drive one in the future should gas prices continue to rise.

I do stand by my pathetic comment, though. The example cited is precisely why. That M5 conversion car screams performance. Absent the M5 conversion it still is silly. The exterior modifications are in no way backed up by the engine above the front wheels. All show, no go... if you will. Legitimate M cars do not fit that statement.

I appreciate the time and effort that people spend on their cars. I always love looking at pictures here. There are lots of options that don't entail putting model-specific parts on the wrong model. That's all. I can't stop it but I can certainly disagree with it. If it makes someone happy I'm all for it so long as they don't try to pretend it is something it isn't. Make sense?
Makes sense.

BTW We pay about $ 10 per gallon of fuel over here...

And the M5/6 obviously is a VERY different experience to drive compared to a regular F10. Much more so than the 0-60 times suggest (I guess even compared to the improved 0-60 of a tuned 550i). It really feels like a different car and a beast. The noise, gearshifts, suspension etc. all makes this a truly spectacular car. Much more so than I ever expected before I drove one...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #32
GIANITALY
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6 M/MPPK

Garage List
  [0.00]
And In Other Countries A 528 Will Cost Ur M5 $110 K.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:46 AM   #33
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANITALY View Post
Sure it may cost the same, but it's still not an M5.
      11-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #34
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

So, yes (after all the other stuff) the M5 bumper will fit if you change the front fenders and a bit of other stuff (washer fluid tank). Or you could go the aftermarket route and get a M5 bumper thats made to fit the std. F10 fenders.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 04:24 AM   #35
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330
So, yes (after all the other stuff) the M5 bumper will fit if you change the front fenders and a bit of other stuff (washer fluid tank). Or you could go the aftermarket route and get a M5 bumper thats made to fit the std. F10 fenders.
In the picture forum someone has pictures of a replica M5 bumper on the standard F10 chassis. Can't remember where they sourced it from but it does exist and fits without modification.

Doesn't look like a bad replica.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
      11-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #36
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
In the picture forum someone has pictures of a replica M5 bumper on the standard F10 chassis. Can't remember where they sourced it from but it does exist and fits without modification.

Doesn't look like a bad replica.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
You might possibly be referring to my car...

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=120

In my defence I can at least say that I still have the original fenders and rear end... And when my BMW dealer wanted me too change the rear end as well, I said that I didn't want to do that because I felt that, for me, that would be going too far on the M5 look.

I just think the M5 front end and wheels are so much nicer than the M-sport equivalent. And, it was factory debadged by the previous owner
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:07 AM   #37
Be.Em.We
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
He converted a 528 to an M5 look-alike. It doesn't get much more pathetic than that. Sponsorship is great, yes. But regardless of parts keep it real and improve the car you have. Don't make it something it isn't.

I am extremely touchy on this subject. I care because I paid $110,000 for the privilege and exclusivity of driving the real deal. Look-alikes and fakes cheapen my purchase and degrade the performance aspect of the M brand. What are you going to say when someone wants to see what your "M" can do? "Sorry, bad oil pump?"

This ticks me off no matter what brand or car. People debadging a car to "hide" what it is because they couldn't afford the better/faster model? Stupid. People re-badging a car to make it something it isn't? Also stupid.

There was an F10 528 parked in front of my condo the other night, missing badging on the rear. I was walking my dogs when the driver came back to the car. I asked him (somewhat jokingly) if he did it for the look or to disguise the fact that it's a 528. He told me to fuck off, which pretty much confirms my points above.

Whether or not the OP applies M5 badges or not is irrelevant. The M5 has a unique look from the front and sides that is for the most part instantly recognizable as being such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIANITALY View Post
Quote:
Sure it may cost the same, but it's still not an M5.

Hi Mr. wdimagineer.. FYI, USD110,000 is cheap for an M5... In here you wont' even get a standard option 528i.. So in terms of monetary issue u shouldn't need to brag about it..

Good day
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #38
tnikolov
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40d,Porsche 911 Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be.Em.We View Post
Hi Mr. wdimagineer.. FYI, USD110,000 is cheap for an M5... In here you wont' even get a standard option 528i.. So in terms of monetary issue u shouldn't need to brag about it..

Good day
Full spec'd M5 here is 110,000 EUR (142,000 USD) prior to 20% VAT tax. And income in general is lower per person than in the US. Just sayin...
Retired - 2011 F10 550i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #39
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnikolov View Post
Full spec'd M5 here is 110,000 EUR (142,000 USD) prior to 20% VAT tax. And income in general is lower per person than in the US. Just sayin...
Man, that sucks. An M5 here in the U.S. starts at $90k USD and premium gas is only $3.40/gallon (where I live). I laugh when people cry about paying $4/gallon for gas, they have no idea that it costs around $3-4/liter in EU.

With that, I will export you a US M5 with a full tank of gas for a $10k commission.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #40
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
You might possibly be referring to my car...

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...&postcount=120

In my defence I can at least say that I still have the original fenders and rear end... And when my BMW dealer wanted me too change the rear end as well, I said that I didn't want to do that because I felt that, for me, that would be going too far on the M5 look.

I just think the M5 front end and wheels are so much nicer than the M-sport equivalent. And, it was factory debadged by the previous owner
Haven't seen your car until now. Nice ride. The one I was referring to is Alpine White - somewhere in Asia.

Funny you say that. I actually miss the M Sport front end and the fog lights. The M5 front shares too much of the same look/feel as the E9X M3 I think.
      11-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #41
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be.Em.We View Post

Good day
You should move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnikolov View Post
Also, you should move.

Just sayin'.
      11-01-2012, 02:04 PM   #42
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Haven't seen your car until now. Nice ride. The one I was referring to is Alpine White - somewhere in Asia.

Funny you say that. I actually miss the M Sport front end and the fog lights. The M5 front shares too much of the same look/feel as the E9X M3 I think.
Thanks

The nicest car BMW makes right now is the 6-series GC. I love the looks of that car, looking forward to the M6 GC.

I recently drove a M6 and it's just amazing how brutal that car is. I love it's Jekyll and Hyde personality between std and the M2 button... It's just so much more brutal than the previous generation M3 and M5's I have driven. I love that engine and I'm totally supporting the turbo engine decision. Hopefully my next car will be a F10 M5.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 02:55 PM   #43
Konig Ludwig
Second Lieutenant
Rep

wdimagineer, you would thinks someone with all that money and prestige would be more happy.

Chill out dude.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2012, 03:36 PM   #44
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig Ludwig View Post
wdimagineer, you would thinks someone with all that money and prestige would be more happy.

Chill out dude.
I'd like to think I'm pretty happy in general. Years of busting my ass and making reasonably intelligent investments have paid off and rewarded me with what I have now. And that is precisely why I'm so vocal about this stuff. It's not just cars that bug me. It's replica watches, replica handbags, replica clothing, etc. I've worked hard for what I have. It wasn't handed to me.

I hate coming across like a jerk because it's really not my personality. I just get upset when I see someone diminish something I paid a lot of money for, like a watch - or car. I get even more upset when they try to pass it off as the real thing.

Example: I'm proud to wear the Breitling I have on now - because I know what it took to put it there. My coworker with the inexpensive replica doesn't care about that. He just wants the feeling and reaction from people. "He's wearing a Breitling - they're expensive, he must be doing well." I know it's fake, but he's tried to pass it off as real before - and I called him out, publicly, when he was showing it off. Just like 528-pretending-to-be-535 guy. And so many others I've come across at car shows, etc.