2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Damaged f10 BMW: need guidance on fix-up

01-01-2016, 04:50 PM   #1
ellicitcs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f12 640i - f10 535i - e39 530i

Damaged f10 BMW: need guidance on fix-up

Hi,

Recently took ownership of a 2011 BMW 528i, car starts and drives, but I have to replacing the following stuff

1. The car was hit from the front, only airbag that deployed was the knee airbags.

Question: If I purchase the airbag form eBay, can I plug it in? will it work? Im sure I'll need to reset computer? what exactly would I have to do?

2. The iDrive isn't working, no screen, where should I look? like where should my first diagnostic begin? maybe some module in the trunk?

3. I need a front bumper, I have seen a lot of Mtech or M5 front bumpers on eBay, thinking of purchasing one, my car has PDC.

Question: How hard is it to transfer all the PDC from the old bumper to the aftermarket bumper. Also any recommendation or DIY on getting this done.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

I'd honestly leave it to the professionals. Airbags are probably one of those things you don't want to DIY if you're not in-the-know. While I don't know for certain, I'm also guessing that there are electronic elements here at play to register/reset... complicated much further, perhaps, if your entire iDrive system is missing/broken.

Where there's a will there's a way, as they say - so I'm certain one COULD do this work themselves - but I'm not sure I'd recommend taking it on unless you're really comfortable with work of this sort.

As for the body work (bumpers and the like), this may be easier. But you'll still end up having to do paint work - not a real DIY project unless you have access to the right shop / tools. Perhaps you do.

Sounds like an interesting project, nonetheless. Best of luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2016, 11:52 PM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellicitcs
Hi,

Recently took ownership of a 2011 BMW 528i, car starts and drives, but I have to replacing the following stuff

1. The car was hit from the front, only airbag that deployed was the knee airbags.

Question: If I purchase the airbag form eBay, can I plug it in? will it work? Im sure I'll need to reset computer? what exactly would I have to do?

2. The iDrive isn't working, no screen, where should I look? like where should my first diagnostic begin? maybe some module in the trunk?

3. I need a front bumper, I have seen a lot of Mtech or M5 front bumpers on eBay, thinking of purchasing one, my car has PDC.

Question: How hard is it to transfer all the PDC from the old bumper to the aftermarket bumper. Also any recommendation or DIY on getting this done.

Thanks
If you replace the airbag incorrectly and you sell the car and let's say 5 other people buy and sell it over the next six years.

Then, 6 years and 1 day the car gets into an accident.

The airbag does not deploy because 6 years ago you installed the airbag with a faulty connector.

Guess who is liable?

Guess who can be drawn into a liability issue?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
SLVSRFR
Captain
Guam
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

As for the bumper, PDC sensors are held on my double sided tape, some blow dryer heat, pulls right off.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 01:41 AM   #5
ellicitcs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: f12 640i - f10 535i - e39 530i

I have done bumper changes to my e39, my e60, even my current e63 so that's something I can do myself. (paint will be done by a bodyshop)I just needed to know how to remove the PDC, I guess it's also glued on just like it was on my e63.

As for the airbag, I definitely would have someone look into it, as its a safety issue even for myself. My question was if I purchase a airbag from ebay, it will be good as buying a brand new air bag? and is it required me to take to a dealer and are coding involved,

iDrive, it could be a small issue or a complete fail, I just need some direction on where to start the diagnostic, I read sometime if the battery isn't fully charged, the iDrive fails. I even read if I discount and reconnect the battery that could also reset the idrive, any advice on that?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2016, 08:27 AM   #6
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

I'd say a 5 year old BMW airbag from eBay would be no different than a 5 year old BMW airbag in any other 5 year old BMW.

These cars are very sensitive to battery charge levels and I'd image the battery in your car has been subject to some unusual activity. Getting it charged up or replaced would be akin to checking the fuse/ground in other cars.
Appreciate 0