2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes How much do 2011 550i wheels weigh

04-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #23
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN_GT View Post
I feel like I must but my little F07 nose into this thread.

In all fairness, ezmaass is right about it not being a track-focused car, but to be quite frank, who the hell cares what someone does with their car? It's theirs and let them do what they want with it. That's the beauty of having your own vehicle.

In another sense, let's say the OP doesn't have the opportunity to own a second, more track-ready vehicle and must compensate with the 550, a blend of luxury and some sportiness. Does that mean he can never unravel his inner racing-instincts ? Not at all, anyone can track their car no matter what the hell it is. Last time I was at the ¼ mile strip I saw a damn Honda CR-V do some times there!

If one was not interested in power and speed, one could have been just as happy with a 528 and save a pretty penny, but no, one of our reasons for having a 550 is for that little extra push. So if OP wishes to make his car lighter or slap a tune on it, so well be it. As long as he's happy, that's all that matters. My good friend @badblack550xi has the World Record for the fastest 550 currently, and is that not something he should be proud about with a 5-door sedan not designed for tracking? I sure as hell would be ecstatic.

Was the 550 specifically designed for track use? No. Are there cars faster than it? Yes. Does that mean the car can never be taken to a track or drag strip? No, of course it can be.

In the end, it's a car, and whether it was designed for off-roading or racing, one can do whatever they want with their car. That's just my two cents
I agree 100% with you Dinan_GT. So what if he wants to track his car whether it is on the strip or on the circuit. Let's not get off track here, BMWs are still really fast cars (I know there are faster cars out there but Bimmers compromise between luxury and sportiness). After all, our cars are called The Ultimate Driving Machine. As others have stated, unsprung weight makes a huge difference in the way a car performs on the road or track. He could be modifying the car to make it more enjoyable on the road and faster on the track. Maybe he also wants to compromise between luxury and performance but he wants to up the performance so stripping out the interior could not be an option. All this to say that we shouldn't try and prevent the OP from doing what he wants. However, ezmass, you are entitled to your opinion and though some may not agree with it, it still is valid. Everyone has a different opinion so we shouldn't get all fussy about who is right and who is wrong. After all, we joined this forum to get information and help and to give the preceding to those who ask it albeit with a bit of opinion.

Getting back to the OP's question, you may want to consider the M5 wheels since they are much lighter than most other OEM wheels that could fit on the F10. If these aren't good enough or you don't want 20" wheels, aftermarket is your best bet. Although I am no tire/wheel expert, I think that a set of lighter tires could help you out in the long run.

Good luck OP!

-F10 Enthusiast
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 01:55 AM   #24
s.alnaqbi
Rep
Drives: f10 523i 20" style 356 premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
I believe those are even heavier than the 19" 351M wheels.
When I changed my tires I weighed them they were about 7 or 8 Kg
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:17 AM   #25
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.alnaqbi View Post
When I changed my tires I weighed them they were about 7 or 8 Kg
No way an OEM 356 wheel is only weighing 7 to 8 kg.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #26
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Quote:

Also, OP if you want OEM 19" wheels, you could go with the style 345 wheels (Seen here : http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/345 ). They were the original equipment for the M5 when it first came out. They are pretty light since they were made by BBS (Correct me if I'm wrong). For tires, I would recommend the Pilot SS by Michelin since they are the OEquipment for the M5 and that should be good enough for some track use. You could find them for sale straight off an M5 if you look around enough.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:01 PM   #27
s.alnaqbi
Rep

Quote:
Check
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #28
s.alnaqbi
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10Enthusiast View Post

Also, OP if you want OEM 19" wheels, you could go with the style 345 wheels (Seen here : http://www.bmwstylewheels.com/bmw/345 ). They were the original equipment for the M5 when it first came out. They are pretty light since they were made by BBS (Correct me if I'm wrong). For tires, I would recommend the Pilot SS by Michelin since they are the OEquipment for the M5 and that should be good enough for some track use. You could find them for sale straight off an M5 if you look around enough.
Agreed
Appreciate 0