2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum alarm keep going off, any clue?

04-24-2015, 12:00 PM   #1
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

alarm keep going off, any clue?

This is also posted in F30 forum, but since F10 comes standard with alarm, I will repeat the post here to see if there is any additional clue.

My F30 has false alarm triggering for a while. The dealer replaced internal motion sensor(roof function unit) and tilt sensor with siren but the alarm keeps going off randomly. The tech said the panic function was triggered(based on ECU counters), but they said the key fob looks OK, given the metal clip of the OEM key fob case should actually protect the panic button from being pressed accidentally. It has been in the shop for a few times, except for one trigger at the service bay they could not reproduce the problem. The tech also suggested to do double-push, i.e. shut engine and then turn off ignition, before locking car. I also tried double-push, and then double-lock(lock, unlock, lock again), but the problem persists. As of now, every time I lock the door, there is a 50%-65% chance the alarm will either trigger within 1-2 minutes, or the red nose blinking when I return to car. At times I will be at restaurant, or at home, or at work, for an hour or so, and see the alarm going off from a distance(say, more than 150 feet?) with no one/car in the vicinity.

Has anyone experienced this on F10?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride
This is also posted in F30 forum, but since F10 comes standard with alarm, I will repeat the post here to see if there is any additional clue.

My F30 has false alarm triggering for a while. The dealer replaced internal motion sensor(roof function unit) and tilt sensor with siren but the alarm keeps going off randomly. The tech said the panic function was triggered(based on ECU counters), but they said the key fob looks OK, given the metal clip of the OEM key fob case should actually protect the panic button from being pressed accidentally. It has been in the shop for a few times, except for one trigger at the service bay they could not reproduce the problem. The tech also suggested to do double-push, i.e. shut engine and then turn off ignition, before locking car. I also tried double-push, and then double-lock(lock, unlock, lock again), but the problem persists. As of now, every time I lock the door, there is a 50%-65% chance the alarm will either trigger within 1-2 minutes, or the red nose blinking when I return to car. At times I will be at restaurant, or at home, or at work, for an hour or so, and see the alarm going off from a distance(say, more than 150 feet?) with no one/car in the vicinity.

Has anyone experienced this on F10?
Be advised, the double push is disabling the motion detector---a key feature of the security system.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 12:23 AM   #3
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Be advised, the double push is disabling the motion detector---a key feature of the security system.
Double push refers to the start-stop button, the first to shut off engine, the second the ignition.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 02:23 AM   #4
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

Turn the car on and turn it back off. Unlock and lock.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 03:21 AM   #5
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavariaExclusive View Post
Turn the car on and turn it back off. Unlock and lock.
Are you suggesting to stop, double-push start-stop to turn off car, then restart engine, then turn off car a 2nd time(double-push again), before exiting and locking door? Is this normal operation?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 05:11 AM   #6
BavariaExclusive
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Spaceship

It happened to me once. I turned off the car, turned it back on and turned it back off. Then went outside and locked it and un locked it and then restarted the car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
bavarianride
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavariaExclusive View Post
It happened to me once. I turned off the car, turned it back on and turned it back off. Then went outside and locked it and un locked it and then restarted the car.
So when did the alarm go off unexpectedly in the above sequence of events?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride
Quote:
Double push refers to the start-stop button, the first to shut off engine, the second the ignition.
Got it. I was wrong here. I thought they advised the op to double push the lock button on the fob, that would turn off the motion sensor.

Actually, if the op was not advised to try this .then he should. This will rule out a problem with the motion detection.

OP: if your car is parked in a safe spot, you could try deactivating the motion detector. You can RTM, but I am pretty sure you press the fob's lock button twice. You will note a peculiar flash on the clown nose.

If your troubles go away after disabling the motion sensor that may be a helpful clue.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2016, 01:45 PM   #9
propchef
Registered
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Got it. I was wrong here. I thought they advised the op to double push the lock button on the fob, that would turn off the motion sensor.

Actually, if the op was not advised to try this .then he should. This will rule out a problem with the motion detection.

OP: if your car is parked in a safe spot, you could try deactivating the motion detector. You can RTM, but I am pretty sure you press the fob's lock button twice. You will note a peculiar flash on the clown nose.

If your troubles go away after disabling the motion sensor that may be a helpful clue.
My f30 has this issue but only when the sunshade is in place. Sensor has been replaced and it's been to the dealer 3 times. They're stumped.

Yes, there is a feature to turn off the motion sensor (in the case you leave a pet in the car) but it defaults to back normal every time the car is unlocked. It cannot be permanently disabled.
      06-20-2016, 08:41 AM   #10
David3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E21 (x2), E46, F15, G05 LCI

On my older BMW's the #1 cause of random alarm triggering was caused by a faulty hood switch. Try disconnecting the hood switch and see if the "false" alarms stop.
Appreciate 0