2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Goodyear LS2 RFT Class Action Lawsuit

08-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #23
RH512
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i xDrive, C4S cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneil44 View Post
That's a nice tire, certainly an upgrade from the LS2s but it is also a summer tire. You don't have a 1 for 1 replacement for the LS2 which is an all season RFT. The PSS tires won't do after October in the Northeast. Is Goodyear going to spring for winter tires for you also? If that's the case, you really got a good deal. Although you've still got the noisy, rough ride from the winter tires. Where you're located doesn't seem to me to get snow and ice on the roads all winter long although you would get below freezing temperatures for a good portion of the winter.

I'm curious, if you're purpose is to go to a non run-flat tire why you didn't ask Goodyear to put on a good quality all season non run-flat tire like the Pilot Sport A/S Plus or the Conti DWS?

I bring this up cause I am in a similar situation - bubbled LS2s which BMW replaced w/ 4 Potenza RE050A RFT at no cost. I stayed w/ RFT (BMW obviously is not going to approve a non run-flat tire for the car) but I'm now in a summer tire which means I've got to make a change after October. If Bridgestone doesn't come out w/ a Potenza RE960AS (all season RFT) in the 245/40R19 size, then my only viable option is to go to Goodyear like you did but get them to put on the Pilot Sport A/S Plus or the Conti DWS.
I've switched to winter tires for years on past vehicles (Nov-April). Was always my plan (not a fan of all season on a vehicle like the F10), will most likely order Pilot Alpin PA3 as 245/45-18 shortly, already have 18" 350M wheels in my garage. Goodyear provided the summer tires is all.

Since I couldn't order the car with any other tire than the LS2's figured I would see how it went, got 300 trouble free miles.

See my thread on creating a compact spare.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2011, 12:11 PM   #24
F10550xi
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550xi ZMP

Lawster888 - I cannot send you a PM. Please send me a message so that I can reply.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #25
boaz
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 535 Xi

All run flat tire are having the same issues Bridgestone as well

All run flat tires are having the same issues (Bridgestone as well) specially .
size 245/40R19 since it's a sports tire.
BMW is aware of this but is making lots of money as many people are paying for these tires all the time.
Check out this video to see BMW employee admitting to the issue and saying that M cars "do not have RUN FLAT TIRES for performance purposes"

Please email me your story so we could have a class action lawsuit against
BMW for their poor handling of this issue

bmwrunflatsuck@yahoo.com
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #26
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

^Holy crap that's a lot of bubbles.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 03:56 PM   #27
BD997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 550i M-Sport

my dealer (Herb Chambers Boston) replaced one of my front tires already at 1,200 miles with the same tire Goodyear for free, they said they are aware of the problem and are handling their customers coming in with bubbles as warranty issues....they told me when the others tires bubble up they will replace all my tires with bridgestones (which supposedly has no issues) if they do not have anymore goodyears available ... for free of course. I think every dealer should handle this issue like this...
Attached Images

Last edited by BD997; 10-28-2011 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 03:07 PM   #28
crmgr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport

It's nice to hear that your dealer is giving you this kind of service. Only problem is that Bridgestone still does not make an all-season runflat in a 245-40-19. I see they have added some additional sizes to their Gen 3 runflat, just not our size. Maybe it's coming in the next couple of months to give us a choice in tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD997 View Post
my dealer (Herb Chambers Boston) replaced one of my front tires already at 1,200 miles with the same tire Goodyear for free, they said they are aware of the problem and are handling their customers coming in with bubbles as warranty issues....they told me when the others tires bubble up they will replace all my tires with bridgestones (which supposedly has no issues) if they do not have anymore goodyears available ... for free of course. I think every dealer should handle this issue like this...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:12 PM   #29
BD997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Alpine White 550i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmgr View Post
It's nice to hear that your dealer is giving you this kind of service. Only problem is that Bridgestone still does not make an all-season runflat in a 245-40-19. I see they have added some additional sizes to their Gen 3 runflat, just not our size. Maybe it's coming in the next couple of months to give us a choice in tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD997 View Post
I didn't know that... I need all season
      01-26-2012, 02:04 AM   #30
brandonwal79
550 dinan s2 flyer
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i Dinan S2 premium 2

BMW 550 bubble within 5000 miles

Hey how has the situation been going with this? I had an enormous bubble in the front left tire and I hadn't hit anything. It then exploded and left me completely flat immediatley. I had a 4 inch gash in the tire. I was exploring to get some PSS since I now have dinan s2 and saw this post. I'm interested in recouping the $500 to get a new RFT since I was nieve and didn't even think about changing type of tire when I lost the one aat 5k miles. So let me know if you are still on this.

2011 BMW 550i sports package p2
Goodyear 245/40r19
Goodyear 275/35/r19
I think that is the standard. If you want to reach me, contact me here.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:09 AM   #31
alpinef10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 550xi M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawster888 View Post
Hello:

New to the forum but this thread came up on a google search for BMW 535 lawsuit. In short my 2011 535i has gone through 8 tires in the 8 months that I've owned it. Also numerous drivetrain malfunction alarms at least one full month's time at the dealer. So I'm in the following position. I'm exhausted from speaking with customer relations and getting nowhere. At this point if they won't take the car back I'm just going to initiate a lawsuit against them and my dealer alleging misrepresentation, breach of contract, breach of warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, and the NJ consumer fraud act (triple damages). I'm an attorney. If anyone is interested in joining or has had a similar experience, please send me a private message. Thanks
I am having similar problems and want to escalate the problem, would like to contribute if this is still an pending lawsuit and if it isnt please let me know the outcome. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #32
vinred26
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 5 Series

Good Year

I had issues with my Good Year LS2 RFT around 4000 miles on the car. I called Good Year Customer Service and they adviced me to reach out to local dealers for replacement. unfortunatly local dealer was trying to sell me a new tire saying it is road hazard whereas brochure from Good Year says it will replace free even for road hazard.

i have to take it to local BMW dealer and show him the brochure of Good Year to get it replaced free of charge.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 03:15 PM   #33
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
I got the same bubbles issue on my Goodyear tires. I called BMW. They would not admit that picking Goodyear was wrong decision and move for them. My discussion with the Customer Relation rep was going no where. I esclated then esclated again. Then, I told them I want to open an official claim with BMW and may sue depending on the results of the claim. Then, called Goodyear, opened a claim. They will inspect the tires. The rep told me she has seen a good number of claims with those RunFlats. I will keep pushing as I do not want to pay the $2,245 my dealer is asking for to replace all tires or the $1,122 for the front two that are really in bad shape.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #34
proveg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19X5

any update or outcome on the issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #35
chico2011
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10

Cool Goodyear Eagle LS2 ROF

2011 535i with sport package and 245/40r19 Goodyear Eagle LS2 ROF. Past Saturday hit a pothole at approximately 45 mph on a construction zone in the interstate. Almost immediately, lots of front end vibration. Pulled over and did not notice tire/wheel damage (11 pm at night). Once at home, 3 inch bubble on the FDS tire. TPMS never activated. Called Goodyear, and opened up a case, then visited their chosen shop for inspection. Almost immediately, the tech told me that it will not be covered. He said that Goodyear only covers vertical (up/down) sidewall failure, not failure along the sidewall tread. Insisted on the tire inspected and he did. Of course, there was a zipper failure of the sidewall. See attached picture showing an approximately 4 inch long tear of the inner wall. Not sure how many layers were involved, but obviously not the outer wall because I never lost tire pressure. Thankfully, it did not catastrophically fail on me on the way home at highway speeds. The new term that Goodyear is using is "road hazard sidewall failure". Claim denied! Of course the next question was, would you like a new tire, at $515. Hope that it does not take a fatality for BMW and Goodyear to do something about these sidewall failures. FYI, tire data is Goodyear Eagle LS2 ROF DOT NE66 JP1R 2011.
Attached Images

Last edited by chico2011; 04-01-2013 at 10:51 PM.. Reason: attach file
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 01:26 PM   #36
John1111
Rep
Drives: 2011 535xi

I also have the 19" Goodyear run flat tires on my 2011 535xi. I live in the northeast and have now gone through 2 winters. I have had to replace 7 tires so far (3 last winter and 4 this winter) due to sidewall bubbles.

Fortunately I purchased the BMW wheel and tire insurance so I haven't had to pay the $500 cost of each tire. Nevertheless, this is clearly unacceptable and I will have to seriously reconsider purchasing another BMW if this problem isn't resolved in the future.

Prior to this car I had a 2008 535xi with regular all season radials. Never had a problem with those tires. I also felt that car handled significantly better than my current one -- probably something to do with the electronic steering on the current car.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2013, 05:26 PM   #37
HDG
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535 X Drive

2011 535 Xi w/ Sport package and 19" Goodyear All-Season LS2 RFs. Have had the car two years,and driven it 20K miles. In NYC area; daily commuter betw Upper Manhattan and lower Westchester. This week: three of the four tires bit the dust. One with a sidewall gash; two with bubbles. All from your basic pothole/construction lousy road surface. In other words, normal drivng. This is on top of already having replaced five tires in the first two years. That's right. EIGHT TIRES IN TWO YEARS AND 20K MILES. UNBELIEVABLE!

Have gone ballistic on the BMW dealer this week. They say they there are no other (i.e., non-GY) all-season run flats in that size, and don't want to put non-RFs on. They are suggesting we put 18" GY RFs on the car. Say they've had much better success with the 18s. At their cost, they will put the new tires AND wheels on the car.

QUESTION: Anyone have any thoughts on this fix. Any experience with the 18s?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0