2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Retrofitting 4 Zone Climate Control on My 2016 BMW 550i xdrive

09-03-2022, 04:05 PM   #23
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

Per the TIS wiring diagram, you will need to wire the following to your FKA (rear climate controller):

1. Wires from the IHKA (front climate controls)
2. Wires from the temp sensor on the left rear floor vent
3. Wires from the stratification on the left rear floor vent
4. Wires from the temp sensor on the right rear floor vent
5. Wires from the stratification on the right rear floor vent
6. Wires from the rear blower
7. Wires from your rear vent thumb wheel
8. Wires for 12 VDC to left floor vent for heater element
9. Wires for 12 VDC to right floor vent for heater element
10. Wires for 12 VDC to FKA
11. CAN bus wires to left rear floor vent
11. CAN bus wires to right rear floor vent
12. CAN bus wires to FKA
13. Ambient light wires from footwell to FKA

Additional wiring required for 4-zone on the IHKA:
1. Wires from your left front vent thumb wheel to IHKA
2. Wires from your right front vent thumb wheel to IHKA
3. Wires for additional thumb wheel on the center vent to IHKA

The above wires are part of the main body harness, and cannot be purchased as a separate harness. You have two choices:

1. Buy a used harness from the junk yard that had 4-zone, then pul the wires/connectors
2. Make your own

.....which is why the wiring is the hardest part of this Mod, and not do-able for most folks. A real pain-in-the-ass.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 04:13 PM   #24
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Bimmer View Post
Per the TIS wiring diagram, you will need to wire the following to your FKA (rear climate controller):

1. Wires from the IHKA (front climate controls)
2. Wires from the temp sensor on the left rear floor vent
3. Wires from the stratification on the left rear floor vent
4. Wires from the temp sensor on the right rear floor vent
5. Wires from the stratification on the right rear floor vent
6. Wires from the rear blower
7. Wires from your rear vent thumb wheel
8. Wires for 12 VDC to left floor vent for heater element
9. Wires for 12 VDC to right floor vent for heater element
10. Wires for 12 VDC to FKA
11. CAN bus wires to left rear floor vent
11. CAN bus wires to right rear floor vent
12. CAN bus wires to FKA
13. Ambient light wires from footwell to FKA

Additional wiring required for 4-zone on the IHKA:
1. Wires from your left front vent thumb wheel to IHKA
2. Wires from your right front vent thumb wheel to IHKA
3. Wires for additional thumb wheel on the center vent to IHKA

The above wires are part of the main body harness, and cannot be purchased as a separate harness. You have two choices:

1. Buy a used harness from the junk yard that had 4-zone, then pul the wires/connectors
2. Make your own

.....which is why the wiring is the hardest part of this Mod, and not do-able for most folks. A real pain-in-the-ass.

So if i got an oem wiring harness from a car with 4 zone climate control (assuming any 2012-2016 m5 f10 since I believe it was standard on all m5s) then it would directly plug in?

Do you know if that harness also affects or plugs into other parts other than the 4 zone climate system?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 04:23 PM   #25
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SreeM View Post
So if i got an oem wiring harness from a car with 4 zone climate control (assuming any 2012-2016 m5 f10 since I believe it was standard on all m5s) then it would directly plug in?

Do you know if that harness also affects or plugs into other parts other than the 4 zone climate system?
I purchased a wiring loom from eBay with a known VIN to verify it had 4-zone (some F10 ///Ms did not come with 4-zone), and for $400'ish, you'll end up not using 99% of the harness. You can almost make one for less, if you had wiring lengths, which I did not have.

When you pull the portion you need, it does tap into other parts of the main harness, such as power to rear fuse box, CAN bus, and lighting (button lighting comes from the footwell module).

Depending on completion of your 4-zone install, you'll end up with code errors if not done 100%.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 04:25 PM   #26
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I purchased a wiring loom from eBay with a known VIN to verify it had 4-zone (some F10 ///Ms did not come with 4-zone), and for $400'ish, you'll end up not using 99% of the harness. You can almost make one for less, if you had wiring lengths, which I did not have.

When you pull the portion you need, it does tap into other parts of the main harness, such as power to rear fuse box, CAN bus, and lighting (button lighting comes from the footwell module).

Oh okay, do you know the vin code that shows that the car has 4 zone climate control?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 04:35 PM   #27
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

If you type in the 17-digit VIN into MDecoder.com, it should be listed as "S4NB - Autom. Climate Control With 4-Zone Ctrl", under Comfort and Interior Equipment section.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 04:42 PM   #28
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
If you type in the 17-digit VIN into MDecoder.com, it should be listed as "S4NB - Autom. Climate Control With 4-Zone Ctrl", under Comfort and Interior Equipment section.
Thank you!

Do you know what parts of the center console needs to be cut/modified for 4 zone climate control?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 05:04 PM   #29
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thank you!

Do you know what parts of the center console needs to be cut/modified for 4 zone climate control?
Circled in the picture below.....on 2.5 zone, with no B-pillar vents, the center consoler is not "cut-out" on the bottom rear portion of the center console. On 4-zone, the circled items are "cut-out".

Once you modify your rear carpet, install your B-pillar ducting, and modify your center console "cut-outs" and rear motor, you'll use P/N 51169206796 -
"Adapter plate for air duct" to seal between the center console and the ducting.
Attached Images

Last edited by M_Bimmer; 09-03-2022 at 05:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2022, 05:19 PM   #30
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

SreeM, hopefully you are aware that your front air distribution box needs replaced to support 4-zone.

This requires you to remove the dash board, dash board carrior, and disassemble your distribution box with a different front, left, right and lower assembly, as there are more stratification motors required to support 4-zone over the 2.5 zone versions.

You will not need to replace the back portion of the distribution box, and will allow you to not disassemble your A/C condensor, but it will require you to remove the heater radiator.

Because the distirbution box has more stratification motors, the wiring harness is different, and at the end of that harness is your front blower motor. You will need remove your blower.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 11:08 AM   #31
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
SreeM, hopefully you are aware that your front air distribution box needs replaced to support 4-zone.

This requires you to remove the dash board, dash board carrior, and disassemble your distribution box with a different front, left, right and lower assembly, as there are more stratification motors required to support 4-zone over the 2.5 zone versions.

You will not need to replace the back portion of the distribution box, and will allow you to not disassemble your A/C condensor, but it will require you to remove the heater radiator.

Because the distirbution box has more stratification motors, the wiring harness is different, and at the end of that harness is your front blower motor. You will need remove your blower.

Hey, yes i do know i have to install a different distribution box, i was wondering if i could just directly replace it with this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275315725779

Also can the trim/leather be transfered from one center console to another? Or is it attached permenantly?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2022, 11:50 AM   #32
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hey, yes i do know i have to install a different distribution box, i was wondering if i could just directly replace it with this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/275315725779

Also can the trim/leather be transfered from one center console to another? Or is it attached permenantly?
The front air distribution in the picture, is a 4-zone unit. You can tell by the stratification motors for each flap. Some are shared by a single motor on the 2 zone version.

The leather side panels on the center console do not come off....I tried. So in your case, you'll need to modify your center console.

If you do NOT want to install the B-pillar vents, that are fed by the lower, rear center console ducts.....and modify your carpet for the duct work that runs under the carpet from the center console to the B-pillar, and add the duct work from the center console to the B-Pillar, and replace your lower B-pillar trim for the B-pillar vents, your system will install and work w/o issue. You'll end up with no air flow from the B-pillar.

(Note: I installed the B-pillar vents, and even on rear fan on high, I'm not very impressed with the amount of air flow - if I did it again, probably wouldn't install it myself. Most rear seat passanger's don't even see the b-pillar vent)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 05:24 PM   #33
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The front air distribution in the picture, is a 4-zone unit. You can tell by the stratification motors for each flap. Some are shared by a single motor on the 2 zone version.

The leather side panels on the center console do not come off....I tried. So in your case, you'll need to modify your center console.

If you do NOT want to install the B-pillar vents, that are fed by the lower, rear center console ducts.....and modify your carpet for the duct work that runs under the carpet from the center console to the B-pillar, and add the duct work from the center console to the B-Pillar, and replace your lower B-pillar trim for the B-pillar vents, your system will install and work w/o issue. You'll end up with no air flow from the B-pillar.

(Note: I installed the B-pillar vents, and even on rear fan on high, I'm not very impressed with the amount of air flow - if I did it again, probably wouldn't install it myself. Most rear seat passanger's don't even see the b-pillar vent)
What parts and steps are needed to just install the 4 zone climate control but only with the center console and no b-pilar vents?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:23 PM   #34
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Miniminally:

1. 4-zone distribution box under the dashboard
2. Center console w/ rear motor
3. Center console rear vent control unit and vents
4. Front center vents assembly w/ two temp thumb wheel version
5. Front left and right dashboard vents for 4-zone
6. Rear right and left floor vent stratification + heater + temp sensors
7. Wiring harness from front ventilation controls to items 3, 4 & 5
8. Wiring harness from item 4 to both item 2 and to item 6
9. Code for 4-zone

Note 1: Item 5 will require heavy durty wiring from the rear fuse box for the heater elements

Note 2: Rear controller HKA also supports rear heated seats, so you'll either need to wire your current non HKA controlled version to the HKA, or leave it disabled

Note 3: The disassembly of the center console to remove the front dashboard, and then change out the front distribution box will be where most of the labor and effort is required in this mod
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 10:35 PM   #35
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Miniminally:

1. 4-zone distribution box under the dashboard
2. Center console w/ rear motor
3. Center console rear vent control unit and vents
4. Front center vents assembly w/ two temp thumb wheel version
5. Front left and right dashboard vents for 4-zone
6. Rear right and left floor vent stratification + heater + temp sensors
7. Wiring harness from front ventilation controls to items 3, 4 & 5
8. Wiring harness from item 4 to both item 2 and to item 6
9. Code for 4-zone

Note 1: Item 5 will require heavy durty wiring from the rear fuse box for the heater elements

Note 2: Rear controller HKA also supports rear heated seats, so you'll either need to wire your current non HKA controlled version to the HKA, or leave it disabled

Note 3: The disassembly of the center console to remove the front dashboard, and then change out the front distribution box will be where most of the labor and effort is required in this mod
Thanks for explaining that, so I really only care about the AC function and i can add the heating function later. If thats the case do I still need to replace the HVAC box in the dash?

Also i have heated rear seats now but obviously not with the control panel, if i add the control panel, it wont work without special wiring?
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 06:22 PM   #36
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for explaining that, so I really only care about the AC function and i can add the heating function later. If thats the case do I still need to replace the HVAC box in the dash?

Also i have heated rear seats now but obviously not with the control panel, if i add the control panel, it wont work without special wiring?
The primary heat/cooling comes through the front distribution box, and add's stratification (air flow flaps) control to each vent output from the distribution box. In a 2 or 2.5 zone, the distribution box pairs some of the outputs with only 1 stratification motor, where in the 4-zone version, each output has it's own stratification motor. So, without changing out the front distribution box, you will not get 4-zone.

Coupled with independent stratification motors control is the need for temperature monitoring of those 4 zones. The temperature sensors for the rear zones are physically in the rear floor vents under the front seat, left and right. The rear floor vents on a 4-zone also has a pre-heater element, so if you are going to wire up the temp sensors, you might as well wire up the heater elements.

If you install a rear HKA rear seat climate control module, and you already have rear seat heaters, the HKA, that already has built in seat heater buttons, will require the LIN bus wires to be run to the JBE. Depending on your current version of your rear seat button topology, your rear seat heater module LIN bus wires may already be wired to the JBE, unless you have the REM topology, in which you'll need to run LIN bus wires from the two rear seat heater contollers to the JBE.

In the process of coding for 4-zone, you will also need to program the rear seat heaters to the HKA version.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 12:58 AM   #37
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
The primary heat/cooling comes through the front distribution box, and add's stratification (air flow flaps) control to each vent output from the distribution box. In a 2 or 2.5 zone, the distribution box pairs some of the outputs with only 1 stratification motor, where in the 4-zone version, each output has it's own stratification motor. So, without changing out the front distribution box, you will not get 4-zone.

Coupled with independent stratification motors control is the need for temperature monitoring of those 4 zones. The temperature sensors for the rear zones are physically in the rear floor vents under the front seat, left and right. The rear floor vents on a 4-zone also has a pre-heater element, so if you are going to wire up the temp sensors, you might as well wire up the heater elements.

If you install a rear HKA rear seat climate control module, and you already have rear seat heaters, the HKA, that already has built in seat heater buttons, will require the LIN bus wires to be run to the JBE. Depending on your current version of your rear seat button topology, your rear seat heater module LIN bus wires may already be wired to the JBE, unless you have the REM topology, in which you'll need to run LIN bus wires from the two rear seat heater contollers to the JBE.

In the process of coding for 4-zone, you will also need to program the rear seat heaters to the HKA version.
Thanks for the detailed explaination. Dumb question but is HKA and JBE? I am going to get this installed at the dealership.

And you're saying even if i have heated rear seats, they wont work with the new controller panel without new wiring?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 03:36 PM   #38
BMW FOREVER
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the detailed explaination. Dumb question but is HKA and JBE? I am going to get this installed at the dealership.

And you're saying even if i have heated rear seats, they wont work with the new controller panel without new wiring?
Those are the names of ECUs. Never heard of a bmw dealership retrofitting options…let alone something as complicated as 4 zone retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2022, 07:24 PM   #39
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
.... I am going to get this installed at the dealership
I've also never in my +30 years of BMW ownership witnessed an authorized BMW Dealership install an factory option....but if you really mean your BMW indy, then please let us know how it turns out. Dealership won't even flip a bit in the FDL codes to enable/disable "soft" features.

I'd like to know how they end up fabricating your electrical harness....a few posts up, I pulled my harness pieces from a used F10 interior harness, since it's not available from BMW as an aftermarket part.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 11:05 PM   #40
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I've also never in my +30 years of BMW ownership witnessed an authorized BMW Dealership install an factory option....but if you really mean your BMW indy, then please let us know how it turns out. Dealership won't even flip a bit in the FDL codes to enable/disable "soft" features.

I'd like to know how they end up fabricating your electrical harness....a few posts up, I pulled my harness pieces from a used F10 interior harness, since it's not available from BMW as an aftermarket part.

Good Luck
I have a good relationship with my dealership lol

For the harness I was able to buy this from overseas, is this the one you are referring to: https://www.ebay.com/itm/385117985177

Also do you have the TIS wiring documents for this retrofit so I can have it printed out?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2022, 11:06 PM   #41
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW FOREVER View Post
Those are the names of ECUs. Never heard of a bmw dealership retrofitting options…let alone something as complicated as 4 zone retrofit.

Well this is only really complex if you install the B pillars

If you have the 4 zone HVAC installed, which seems to be the most difficult and time consuming part, the rear connections and parts dont seem to be too difficult to connect, correct?
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 10:26 PM   #42
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I have a good relationship with my dealership lol

For the harness I was able to buy this from overseas, is this the one you are referring to: https://www.ebay.com/itm/385117985177

Also do you have the TIS wiring documents for this retrofit so I can have it printed out?

You scored an awesome deal on the wiring harness....
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2022, 10:39 PM   #43
SocomCA
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You scored an awesome deal on the wiring harness....
So is that the correct harness that i need or do i need something else?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2022, 09:30 PM   #44
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep

Quote:
So is that the correct harness that i need or do i need something else?
THe few pictures of the connectors look correct, but most certainly, not all the connectors are shown, but for $40, you can't go wrong.
Appreciate 0