2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding G30 Touchscreen and NBT EVO Install

10-14-2023, 09:43 AM   #1
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
G30 Touchscreen and NBT EVO Install

I did it! I finally did it!

I finally got a G30 touchscreen installed and connected to my retrofitted NBT EVO HU!

Here’s some background:

I installed an NBT EVO head unit into my LCI F10 about a year ago. I wanted to go with an OEM solution to keep everything functioning as it does from the factory (all buttons work, no extra button presses needed to get into CarPlay or back to iDrove, no adapters needed other than a voltage converter to keep the original screen) and I didn’t want to gamble on the quality of aftermarket solutions. I felt like it made a huge impact and really made the car feel new again. I LOVE having Apple CarPlay right there where it should be in iDrive!

One thing I really wanted to figure out though was how to install an OEM touchscreen to really complete the install.

After a lot of searching around the forum and the whole internet, I felt confident that a G30 screen would work, but would need some modifications. I reached out to a couple people on here and through the Internet from around different parts of the world that had posted pictures or videos of a completed install. Nothing I could find online had any kind of instructions for the modifications needed. A few people got back to me, but unfortunately weren’t able to provide much more detail.

I wasn’t sure what I was really getting into, and the project really isn’t 100% complete in my eyes yet, but as of now I can say it was too terribly difficult to accomplish what I have done so far. (Fingers crossed everything stay together during my first road trip with it installed today)

I don’t know how secure everything is, but for now this will work as a test to make sure everything works as it should. I can always make it more secure over time.

I will post more details when I have time, along with some more notes.
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Unspec1311.50
HI_F1067.50
      10-19-2023, 06:22 PM   #2
addy27
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Great Work!!

I took the long/expensive route to this goal, I scoured the web for an aftermarket screen that came with the bracket behind it, and then removed and modified that bracket and installed the G01/02 screen on it to make it look professional.

I felt in stock F10 form, the screen is farther away so farther to touch.. where as the pop out version is easier to operate via touch.
Appreciate 1
SWFLf10373.50
      10-21-2023, 12:25 PM   #3
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by addy27 View Post
Great Work!!

I took the long/expensive route to this goal, I scoured the web for an aftermarket screen that came with the bracket behind it, and then removed and modified that bracket and installed the G01/02 screen on it to make it look professional.

I felt in stock F10 form, the screen is farther away so farther to touch.. where as the pop out version is easier to operate via touch.
I’m in the opposite boat, I’ve seen modifications to install a screen that stick out further, but always hated the look. The OEM install is so clean and blends in so well with the dash, I really didn’t want to change the look.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 03:14 PM   #4
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 06:24 PM   #5
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
Any updates?
Sorry, got very busy traveling for work.

So it all seems to function correctly and I really love the better resolution and the touchscreen capability.

I still need to secure the screen better, as it is being held to the frame with hot melt glue and the whole assembly is being held in loosely with some foam for now. I would like to find a more permanent solution to replace the hot melt glue, and either a better foam or a custom bracket to hold it all in place.

I am having one issue, which may be related to the HU itself. Soemtimes seemingly at random I will get a “NO SIGNAL” error on the screen within second of starting the car. Sometime it’s fine for a few days, other times it will happen three times in a row.

But I believe I got the same error a couple times before swapping screens which leads me to believe the HU itself could be having issues. It’s a used unit that I bought pre-coded for my VIN. I have to contact the seller to see what they can do to help with this issue. I have another NBT EVO in my 6 series and I could swap it when I have time and have it coded to this car if needed.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 07:02 PM   #6
9mmkungfu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d, 535d, 750i, X5 35d

No worries. Hoping to do a similar retrofit myself. If not the G30 touchscreen, what touchscreen can be retrofitted relatively easily?

When you have a moment, I would love to see a parts list break down if possible. Previous owner on my 2016 F10 installed a large Android screen and I am interested in reverting back to stock. I don't want to go all the way back to NBT but I was thinking NBT Evo ID6. The G30 screen seems like a great pairing for that.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 01:01 PM   #7
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmkungfu View Post
No worries. Hoping to do a similar retrofit myself. If not the G30 touchscreen, what touchscreen can be retrofitted relatively easily?

When you have a moment, I would love to see a parts list break down if possible. Previous owner on my 2016 F10 installed a large Android screen and I am interested in reverting back to stock. I don't want to go all the way back to NBT but I was thinking NBT Evo ID6. The G30 screen seems like a great pairing for that.
I ended up getting a NBT EVO bundled with a WiFi adapter for wireless CarPlay and a modified screen cable to use the original non-touchscreen. (Not needed is using a screen that originally was used for the NBT EVO system, such as the G30 screen). There were two NBT EVO options available, one with GPS and one without. I got the one with so I don’t have to rely on just CarPlay or Android Auto.

I got the whole NBT EVOpackage from codemybimmer. And I got the touchscreen from opuradio.

I believe I’ve heard of people using touchscreens from some of the 7 series that came with NBT EVO, but the only setup I’ve seen that still retains the original screen trim was using the G30 screen, so that’s why I went that route.

Hope that all helps!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 06:51 PM   #8
James_Kav
Rep
Drives: 2013 520d F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
I ended up getting a NBT EVO bundled with a WiFi adapter for wireless CarPlay and a modified screen cable to use the original non-touchscreen. (Not needed is using a screen that originally was used for the NBT EVO system, such as the G30 screen). There were two NBT EVO options available, one with GPS and one without. I got the one with so I don’t have to rely on just CarPlay or Android Auto.

I got the whole NBT EVOpackage from codemybimmer. And I got the touchscreen from opuradio.

I believe I’ve heard of people using touchscreens from some of the 7 series that came with NBT EVO, but the only setup I’ve seen that still retains the original screen trim was using the G30 screen, so that’s why I went that route.

Hope that all helps!
Hi, I'm doing this exact same retrofit, and I'm OEM look all the way!

I was wondering if you did any further fixing of the screen, and I would love to see any pictures you have of the back of the screen etc. If you have them. I'm waiting for my G30 CID to be delivered, but ive been studying pictures etc. and assume you can pop the plastic trim off the back, or have you just mounted it to the modified panel?

Yours looks great, and I can't wait to get ID6 in my car too
Appreciate 0