2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Diesel System Cleaner

05-29-2015, 05:48 AM   #1
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M Sport (Sports Auto)

Diesel System Cleaner

I have just had my 2010 520d auto serviced, at 75k miles. Prior service I have undertaken at BMW, but have opted for my local Halfords auto centre now. Very happy with the service and treatment of these guys when having tyres fitted, so decided to give them my service business : very happy with this.

Only one item on the service report is "Diesel System Cleaner" - flagged as Amber. I spoke to the rep. and he advised that it is based on the mileage of the car.

I use Shell V-Power Nitro+ Diesel for every fill.

Should I be going for a Diesel System Cleaner?

If so, does anyone have any recommendations as to brand / specific product?

I plan to keep my car for a further 4 to 5 years, taking it to around the 150k miles mark ... and I want to do everything I can to ensure no problems. I am all for preventative maintenance, servicing, products, etc.

That said : I see no point in throwing money away on needless products - hence the query!

Thanks for your advice. Cheers ...
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 06:53 AM   #2
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I was at my local BMW dealers some weeks back and whilst waiting in reception, noticed that they had some leaflets about additives for both petrol and diesel. The only approved additives they approve .(BMW badged)

Might be worth enquiring about that, not sure how much or how often it should be used.

I use BP Ultimate diesel myself exclusively based upon that it contains additives to keep the engine and injectors clean. (how much difference it makes I have no idea but there must be some truth in it otherwise they'd be up in front of trading standards!)

So maybe worth a quick call to your local BMW dealership to find out about it.
Hopefully that's of some help.
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #3
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipso_facto View Post
Only one item on the service report is "Diesel System Cleaner" - flagged as Amber. I spoke to the rep. and he advised that it is based on the mileage of the car....
When you say "flagged as amber", do you mean a warning on the display?

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #4
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
When you say "flagged as amber", do you mean a warning on the display?

HighlandPete
Thanks. No Pete, not on the car's display : it is on the report produced after the service, it had this item listed as "Amber". The service was done at Halfords Auto Centre .. they have a two code system - their words :

Amber : some concern's registered. If not rectified these items need monitoring to ensure safety and / or reliability and prevention of added costs.

Red : require urgent attention.

I had a "Major Service", which was £257.

Had I gone the BMW service route, the cost would have been more than double this, as it was due for ;

Engine oil service with microfilter, air filter, fuel filter (£433)
Vehicle check (£69)

Thus far, I have gone BMW servicing all the way. This is my first departure. Any brake discs and pads, I intend to remain with BMW servicing, as the cost is fair. Everything else, I intend to use my local Halfords Auto Centre.

Appreciate your thoughts / advice on the Diesel cleaner ... cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 10:37 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Thanks. No Pete, not on the car's display : it is on the report produced after the service, it had this item listed as "Amber". The service was done at Halfords Auto Centre .. they have a two code system - their words :

Amber : some concern's registered. If not rectified these items need monitoring to ensure safety and / or reliability and prevention of added costs.
Ah, sounds like a recommendation to help keep the injection side clean. Is there any hint that the engine is not running well? Idle rougher than it ought to be, more engine noise than 'normal'?

As AP mentions, BMW have their own approved fuel additive available these days. There are other cleaning additives out there, something like Millers is used by many as a regular additive. Product like Forte diesel additive is used by many in the trade.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2015, 02:22 PM   #6
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Ah, sounds like a recommendation to help keep the injection side clean. Is there any hint that the engine is not running well? Idle rougher than it ought to be, more engine noise than 'normal'?

As AP mentions, BMW have their own approved fuel additive available these days. There are other cleaning additives out there, something like Millers is used by many as a regular additive. Product like Forte diesel additive is used by many in the trade.

HighlandPete
Thanks to both of you ...

The engine runs sweetly. Power output feels same as always.

For £11, I think I'll get a bottle of the Forte ... Forte Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment 400ml
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #7
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

I don't bother with my car, as I think ensuring that you give the car a good hammering regularly and an occasional long motorway run helps keep soot buildup in check.

However I guess as you start to hit higher mileage it may be worth trying out the additives. I use a basic additive in my transit vans that have some miles on them.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2015, 03:46 PM   #8
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
I don't bother with my car, as I think ensuring that you give the car a good hammering regularly and an occasional long motorway run helps keep soot buildup in check.

However I guess as you start to hit higher mileage it may be worth trying out the additives. I use a basic additive in my transit vans that have some miles on them.

+1

Perhaps worth of doing it when you car is 100K or above.
      05-31-2015, 04:38 PM   #9
F36 435d
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Individual Speed Yellow 435d M

I put a full bottle of Forte in a full tank of fuel in my F10 535d a few weeks ago. I didn't notice any difference but i like to think of it making a difference which cannot be seen. Cleaning the system out. Im sure it cannot do it any harm.

The Forte additive is different to others such as Millers. Forte does not increase the cetane level etc... It seems to be a more focused engine cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2015, 02:44 AM   #10
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Beast View Post
Thanks. It has 2 runs every two weeks on the M40 / A46 / M69 / M1 from roughly Oxford to Sheffield (and then back again). So it does get a good blast.

It is due for MOT in October, so maybe I will use a bottle the of the Forte Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment 400ml in early October.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2015, 04:52 PM   #11
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. It has 2 runs every two weeks on the M40 / A46 / M69 / M1 from roughly Oxford to Sheffield (and then back again). So it does get a good blast.

It is due for MOT in October, so maybe I will use a bottle the of the Forte Advanced Formula Diesel Treatment 400ml in early October.

Cheers.
I think you have got the wrong idea of what was flagged as Amber. It sounds like that is the status of your DPF (diesel particulate filter). Putting additives or cleaners in the fuel will do nothing for the DPF....

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 01:59 AM   #12
ipso_facto
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukbeemerboy View Post
I think you have got the wrong idea of what was flagged as Amber. It sounds like that is the status of your DPF (diesel particulate filter). Putting additives or cleaners in the fuel will do nothing for the DPF....
Thanks for the feedback : but if it was the DPF, I imagine that they would clearly state DPF, or other such nomenclature. As it stands, the report purely stated :

"Diesel System Cleaner" ... with the status flagged as Amber.

When I phoned them the next day, I was verbally advised that this means a recommendation to add some system cleaner.

That said : I am interested in the DPF .... is there a sign of it needing replacement? Black smoke? Anything else? Cheers.
Appreciate 0