2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Any TALL F10 drivers find headroom lacking? If so, any "secret" workarounds?

05-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #1
K-A
Nice
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S SportDesign

Any TALL F10 drivers find headroom lacking? If so, any "secret" workarounds?

I've documented this issue several times in the other Bimmer forum, but was curious if any additional help or thoughts can be given from any who've experienced something similar here.

I love my F10. My lease is almost up and I can't find one car out there that gives me the value proposition + engineering merits + "sex appeal" that the 535i decked out how I'd like it gives. Especially considering whatever other little improvements the 2015 MY should bring.

My issue is that at 6'4-6'5 with it mostly in my torso, I increasingly find myself cramped up front. Like if I sit straight up, my head can practically poke out of the moonroof opening if I so tried. The moonroof opening BTW gives me adequate headroom, it's just the surrounding borders that are beyond cramped for me. To the point where I have to slouch and roll the seat waaayy back, and my head is still grazing against the headliner. My biggest issue with this isn't just comfort, but mostly safety, as it makes me paranoid as to how many hard points my head is right next to and whether the airbags are even designed to go that high to protect, etc.

Funnily enough, I find perfect headroom in the 6 Gran Coupe, even with it being much lower slung than the 5 Series. The seat goes so low, I can sink into that cabin to here I feel very comfortable in it. I love the GC, issue is that the price increase is a very hard one to justify after you've been spoiled with the F10's relative value.

It's an unfortunate reality for my height that most large "family Sedans" such as the 5 Series give me less headroom than a Porsche 911.

I know with said 911, tall drivers say there are ways to bolt the seat in different places to get more room inside. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any ways to get the seat lower on the F10 (than what the factory settings allow)? It seems like the seat can go so much lower but maybe it's just my imagination (or it would literally have to get bolted to the floor).

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 12:06 PM   #2
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Man, you must be really long of torso!

I'm 6'4", and have found my last few 5 series to have more than ample headroom.

Sounds like a good reason to talk yourself into the 6GC.

Bill
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:10 PM   #3
Mr. Grumpy
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

I'm also 6"-4" and my F10 is by far the most comfortable car I have ever owned, and I've own quite a few cars. I also have 2 herniated disks and I did a 16 hrs. trip from NOLA to Richmond, VA only stopping for fuel and my back was completely fine. I love the comfort seats on this car.
      05-28-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Do you guys have sunroofs as per OP? They can cut down headroom considerably
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Standard equipment on US models.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Really, must loose at least 25-30mm of headroom to that
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:15 PM   #7
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

I have no sunroof in my F11, have massive space above my head.
I am only 5.10 though, but I have adjusted the seat up to get high enough, and still have 3-4" to go before my head hits the roof.

ask if you can get one without the sunroof and you should be OK.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder Bill View Post
Man, you must be really long of torso!

I'm 6'4", and have found my last few 5 series to have more than ample headroom.

Bill
Tell me about it! Didn't know that I'm a freak of nature until I started paying attention to my headroom in these cars.

I'm holding out hope that the LCI seat designs somehow have you sitting lower, but I'm sure it's a pipe dream.

Yeah, definitely a reason to actually find a justifiable reason to the 6GC price premium (rather than the superfluous "styling" argument). Problem is, considering how wide the gap currently is, that's a tough proposition!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Roughly 6' 4" here, too and no issue with hitting the roof or getting cramped. I have the seat all the way down (LCI '14 model) and at a normal slope for the back. I think you may have hit the nail on the head with your comment about torso length - an extra tall torso may be the real issue versus general height. The F10 seats ARE pretty gigantic, though... and I've noticed they don't really go "as low" as those of other BMWs... or perhaps that's just the sensation I've gotten due to their size?

Best of luck with it. Perhaps talk to your SA about ideas to modify it? Or, talk yourself into that 6GC?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #10
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
Roughly 6' 4" here, too and no issue with hitting the roof or getting cramped. I have the seat all the way down (LCI '14 model) and at a normal slope for the back. I think you may have hit the nail on the head with your comment about torso length - an extra tall torso may be the real issue versus general height. The F10 seats ARE pretty gigantic, though... and I've noticed they don't really go "as low" as those of other BMWs... or perhaps that's just the sensation I've gotten due to their size?

Best of luck with it. Perhaps talk to your SA about ideas to modify it? Or, talk yourself into that 6GC?
Exactly! The base of these seats are MASSIVE! It's like they don't let it go as low as some BMW's (like the 6 Series).

Man, hearing all you guys who are close to my height and fit with no problems is kinda depressing. Idk, I'll check out some LCI's with Nappa and see if I can finagle some way to comfortably fit.

For the record, the car itself is EXTREMELY comfortable to me, it's just when I want to sit in a position that all of a sudden makes me realize how little my headroom is, is when I start feeling cramped in there. I still play with the seat settings constantly to try and find some magical solution.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 10:51 PM   #11
Boulder Bill
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Cayman GTS

Do you think the luxury seating package (which I have) would have any impact?

I have driven many cars over the years, particularly rentals, and it is very uncomfortable or at least disconcerting, to have your noggin so close to the head liner. It is also less safe an any accident, particularly a roll over. There you go, it would be unsafe for you not to move on to a 6GC.
2013 F10 550i | 6 Speed Manual | M Sport Package | Carbon Black | Oyster & Black Nappa | Dynamic Handling w/Dynamic Damper Control | Executive Package (Comfort Access - Soft Close - HUD) | B&O Sound | Luxury Seating & Heated Seats
(retired: 2002 E39 540i | 6 Speed Manual)
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 01:31 AM   #12
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Do you think the luxury seating package (which I have) would have any impact?

I have driven many cars over the years, particularly rentals, and it is very uncomfortable or at least disconcerting, to have your noggin so close to the head liner. It is also less safe an any accident, particularly a roll over. There you go, it would be unsafe for you not to move on to a 6GC.
Yeah, I've become so used to my head rubbing against the headliner, it kinda sucks.

Haha, that's the excuse I'm using on the future wifey. It's for my safety! I need the 6 GC!

Issue is, convincing myself that paying a catastrophically higher rate for what is such a closely engineered car. It is a sexy beast though.

I'm gonna go sit in every LCI seating package I can find and play with the seats and see what's what, maybe they shaved an inch or so from the seat base in any of them? Wishful thinking.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 09:39 AM   #13
Russkey
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 BMW AW 550xi

Garage List
2012 550xi  [10.00]
I'm 6'6 tall and I know exactly what you mean. There's not much headroom in 5 series but it doesn't bother me that much. It's hard to believe that there's more headroom in 911 but it's true!
      05-29-2014, 10:02 AM   #14
K-A
Nice
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russkey View Post
I'm 6'6 tall and I know exactly what you mean. There's not much headroom in 5 series but it doesn't bother me that much. It's hard to believe that there's more headroom in 911 but it's true!
Ahh, was hoping to hear from someone who's 6'6! I assume that my torso is more akin to a 6'6 person. I can live with it as well, to be honest. Yes it sometimes gets annoying or uncomfortable when I focus on it, but I drove my F10 around for almost a year and simply felt overwhelmingly comfortable in the car, before I started focusing on the headroom thing. My MAIN concern isn't comfort, as the car is still very comfortable as long as I don't try and sit too upright, it's mainly safety. I've gotten paranoid while driving the car now considering how close my head is to so many hard points. I can only hope that the belt buckle holds us immediate and tight enough since even a centimeter of a jump up could do damage, and that the side airbags go high enough since my head is almost practically aligned with the grab-handle.

Very sad that such a big car is so tight up top. All Euro midize Luxury Sedans seem to have the same cramped headroom. It's really putting a hamper on what I can get next. My options seem like: SUV (I refuse, can't stand them as my primary car and could never find passion in one like I do a car), really expensive car (GC, 7 Series, S Class, 911, etc.), or a really cheap/basic Economy Car (I sat in a Nissan Sentra yesterday and guess what..... more than ample headroom).
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
bkM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 M3 Vert 6MT Carbon/Black

im 6'1 and fit very comfortably but i do not have the luxury seating package or m sport seats. i noticed that those seats are much bigger than the standard seats and take up much more space. have you tried sitting in a car without any of those packages??
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:09 AM   #16
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Large bucket seats to accommodate the large American bucket.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #17
K-A
Nice
Rep

Yeah.... sat in my car today, and did a "pretend accident test". It's pretty terrifying. If I sit straight up, I have to bend my neck pretty significantly under the borders to the side of the moonroof. My head is actually in direct connection with the upper "grab bars" which means no airbag protection. Pretty sucky.

I'll sit in an LCI with Nappa to see if some freak occurrence freed it of 1-2" of headroom. Otherwise, my only option to stick with an F10 would be putting racing seats in it, lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 09:42 AM   #18
MotormanDan
Motorman at MTA NYC Transit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Xdrive

I'm a fat F10 driver and I fit more comfortably in this car than my old E38 which was sort of tight in the front.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #19
K-A
Nice
Rep

LOL. Heightist! I'm skinny yet tall and I feel BMW have alienated me to accommodate you!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2015, 08:13 PM   #20
grubbab
United_States
Rep
Drives: 550i, 330i, M440i

Trouble getting into F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I love my F10. My issue is that at 6'4-6'5 with it mostly in my torso, I increasingly find myself cramped up front. Like if I sit straight up, my head can practically poke out of the moonroof opening if I so tried. The moonroof opening BTW gives me adequate headroom, it's just the surrounding borders that are beyond cramped for me. To the point where I have to slouch and roll the seat waaayy back, and my head is still grazing against the headliner.
I am 6'2" and have plenty of headroom, but does anyone else have trouble getting into an F10? I never paid attention before owning this car, but I get in every other car by putting my right foot in, then sliding into the seat. With the 2014 550i, I have to sit in first then pull both legs in, otherwise my thigh is too long and I get stuck with my knee against the steering wheel and my butt against the B pillar. I think the B pillar is so wide that the doorway is not long enough. I have an E46 convertible and a Camry that are no problem. The E46 has long doors, and the Camry has about 3 more inches between the B pillar and the steering wheel. Maybe my butt is too big.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 11:15 AM   #21
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Bill
+1. That, and the 6GC is so damn gorgeous. I parked my 550 next to one today and while I could never see myself driving something so long with seemingly poor rear visibility, it just looks so damn good!
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2015, 11:18 AM   #22
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Otherwise, my only option to stick with an F10 would be putting racing seats in it, lol.
Now you might be onto something.. how are the seats in an M5 for you? Worst case, those racing seats will look more at home in the M5 than a 535 lol
Appreciate 0