2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Next 5 series dash board opinion

11-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #23
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABMAN View Post
I hope that this is not the final picture of the new 5 Dash, IMO, it looks to be more of an update to exisiting Dash rather than what one would expect in a complete model change. I had Brushed Aluminum Trim in my previous MSport F10, if you live in a cold climate you would not believe how cold this material gets when the car is sitting outside all day in sub freezing temperatures. It takes forever to warm up. I would never order a car with this trim again .

While the pop up NAV screen is not exciting me , I wonder how the open/close function performs in freezing temperatures. I much prefer the current configuation that I had in my previous 3 F10's and E60 and my New F10 which will be delivered in December .
The nav screen is not a pop up screen, it's fixed.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #24
GABMAN
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535XI Med. Blue

I am sure my guys at my car wash will have a field day messing up this screen
2012 535XI White/Black, MSport, RETIRED
2011 535I, GraphGrey/Oyster, RETIRED
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #25
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep
Drives: 640d,X5 45e, 911c4s, 635csi

Looks like Jag's are the only one not going for the top screens, I certainly don't like how they replaced the gear stick with a wheel like the I-drive one, I did test drive the previous XF, the wheel is certainly a turn off, maybe because I am getting old.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 06:11 PM   #26
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

Looks like the new 7 dash is in dire need of the "ceramic" option. I much prefer the darker trim than the light one they slapped over the entire inside. As far as the iPad on top of my dash look, I don't mind it. Functionality wise, sucks... I had a 3 loaner and the screen washes out more, there's more glare, looks slightly more out of place (more of a design afterthought than trying to incorporate in).

Can't we just get the 6 dash? That's my favorite by far. I guess if I don't like the new 5, might for for the 6... Hopefully it's reaching the refresh too, so maybe I'll scoop up a remaining one before those go away too.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2015, 09:31 PM   #27
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Not a huge fan of the direction of BMW interiors. The F10 interior is a really nice place to be - was a big improvement over the E60, I think. But BMW is still doing better than the competitors, I think, in terms of design language. I just hope they don't screw it up too much!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 01:57 AM   #28
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

Totally with you on this, the 6 series is the best one! If the new 5 end up like the 7 series, I be seriously considering going for the existing 6! After all the one part of the car always in my view is the dash important to have it spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post
Looks like the new 7 dash is in dire need of the "ceramic" option. I much prefer the darker trim than the light one they slapped over the entire inside. As far as the iPad on top of my dash look, I don't mind it. Functionality wise, sucks... I had a 3 loaner and the screen washes out more, there's more glare, looks slightly more out of place (more of a design afterthought than trying to incorporate in).

Can't we just get the 6 dash? That's my favorite by far. I guess if I don't like the new 5, might for for the 6... Hopefully it's reaching the refresh too, so maybe I'll scoop up a remaining one before those go away too.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 02:59 PM   #29
ArchJR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 i4 xDrive40

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang View Post
Looks like Jag's are the only one not going for the top screens, I certainly don't like how they replaced the gear stick with a wheel like the I-drive one, I did test drive the previous XF, the wheel is certainly a turn off, maybe because I am getting old.
I am surprised Jaguar places the screens so low in the dash, as it looks to be about 6" lower from the line of site compared to the 5-series (or E-class or A6). Some models will have a full digital IP with redundant information, but not all. I would expect such a strategy to yield a lower cowl line for a more airy cabin feel, but the vents are still rather high giving the dash the upright feel of an SUV.

And then they have a small diameter shift knob centered in a ring of chrome, surrounded by a matte black plastic bezel, another ring of chrome, a wood panel, another ring of brushed metal, another panel of gloss black trim, edged by strips of more brushed metal on each side. This is done so that overall cutout of all those layers of materials is the same as that required for the manual transmission, but it is such an inelegant solution compared to the previous generation. It just looks clumsy.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #30
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseSRQ View Post
I am surprised Jaguar places the screens so low in the dash, as it looks to be about 6" lower from the line of site compared to the 5-series (or E-class or A6). Some models will have a full digital IP with redundant information, but not all. I would expect such a strategy to yield a lower cowl line for a more airy cabin feel, but the vents are still rather high giving the dash the upright feel of an SUV.

And then they have a small diameter shift knob centered in a ring of chrome, surrounded by a matte black plastic bezel, another ring of chrome, a wood panel, another ring of brushed metal, another panel of gloss black trim, edged by strips of more brushed metal on each side. This is done so that overall cutout of all those layers of materials is the same as that required for the manual transmission, but it is such an inelegant solution compared to the previous generation. It just looks clumsy.
Agree, love it or hate it the new 7 series dashboard makes the Jaguar dashboard look prehistoric imo..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2015, 09:17 AM   #31
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin mustang
Totally with you on this, the 6 series is the best one! If the new 5 end up like the 7 series, I be seriously considering going for the existing 6! After all the one part of the car always in my view is the dash important to have it spot on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsb007 View Post

Have you seen the new 7 dashboard in real life? It's not that bad. I was very skeptical when I saw the first spy pics of the 7 series.

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 06:28 PM   #32
marsb007
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

I haven't seen it live, I just prefer the darker look... I don't have any issues with the ergonomics of the half iPad.

I do believe however that the 6 has a more sculpted look, and I love how the passenger dash extends onto the center console.

Like with anything else, with time, you start getting accustomed to the look, and it slowly begins to grow on you. I'm sure it's going to be the same with the 7, 6, 5 and whatever BMW throws at us.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 01:54 AM   #33
martin mustang
Major
Ireland
Rep

I had the chance to see the new 7 with normal trim and an M sport one looks good specially with on the M version but nothing special! I think this is down to the missing flow from the gear section toward the upper side, add the fact the centre section i.e. radio climate controls section comes across as a small upgrade from the existing one design wise. I also prefer the upper section with the sat nav screen on the new X5, they managed stronger lines going around the screen to the passenger side.
It will be a nice to see some differences with the 5 in comparison to the 7!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2015, 09:56 AM   #34
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

I don't know why people make such a big deal about this. The picture made it look flat and a litle awkward and that's mainly because of photography and editing to show you everything in one picture. In person, it looks much better.

Do I like the pop up look over the in-dash design? no
Do I prefer the above dash function over the below dash function? definitely yes

This is one of those times where luxury goods were made with function-over-form instead of the asinine form-over-function. I respect that. Having the nav screen above the dash is very useful. Those with HUD should be able to relate to that. In cities like DC, NYC, etc... it definitely makes a difference. I don't want lose sight of the road and crazy drivers. I also don't want to miss my turn. It's a trade-off I can appreciate and live with as safety is paramount. I can see why it doesn't matter for people in suburbs and rurals.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #35
JamRWS6
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

I'm looking forward to the re-design. I've been in a new 7 and the design and materials are fantastic. Make the leather dashboard standard on the 540i and up and I'm sold.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 12:54 PM   #36
DaveCM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexank View Post
Why is the Idrive always positioned away from the drivers side?
I thought it was just a RHD thing but looking at the above shots clearly not

On mine I find almost impossible to quickly read the buttons as they seem tilted to the passenger.

very odd!
I think it's because it's a very natural position for the drivers right arm to be (on left hand drive vehicle), at least it is for me. Once you drive the car for a day or two you know what the buttons are so you don't have to read them anymore. At that point the drivers arm just naturally rests right on top of the knob and the buttons can easily be depressed without taking your hand off the Idrive knob.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #37
Pimpsy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5C

I really dislike the new nav screen. It looks cheap. Functionally it does make sense to bring it closer to eye level, but I don't think they did a great job of it. They just plastered on an existing design more or less. Bleh.

The whole dash needs a redesign with a larger, higher integrated screen along with a better HUD and improved controls.

Tesla has the right idea as far as large screen and replacing button and knobs with software control. A large monitor control screen that is completely customizable would be awesome.
      07-21-2016, 01:51 AM   #38
Takumi587
///M3 Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 05' M3 and 21' Tesla Model 3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanM View Post
I really dislike the new nav screen. It looks cheap. Functionally it does make sense to bring it closer to eye level, but I don't think they did a great job of it. They just plastered on an existing design more or less. Bleh.

The whole dash needs a redesign with a larger, higher integrated screen along with a better HUD and improved controls.

Tesla has the right idea as far as large screen and replacing button and knobs with software control. A large monitor control screen that is completely customizable would be awesome.
I agree there is just too many buttons going on now. I got a chance to test drive a new 7 series and there were so many different buttons just on the drivers side door. I still prefer the dash on the current F10. The touch screen feature was a nice upgrade but the gear shifter change was not.

However, the drive of the 7 series was amazing compared to the S Class and my current 535i. Felt so nimble for a big car...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 09:03 PM   #39
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

IMO Looks fine I actually like it
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 04:45 AM   #40
Bruno112
Private First Class
Croatia
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 530d MSport

Hm cluster is redesign of F10 6WB,navi and sport,eco buttons like on new 7 series and steering wheel
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 09:51 AM   #41
Quicksilv3r
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbb34 View Post
I dislike the new trend everybody seem to be going towards, LCD screens sticking out of the dash. I much prefer the F10 way, where it's seamlessly integrated in the dash. Also on this particular photo, I feel that gap between the center console, around the cup holders/shifter towards climate controls on the dash is simply lacking "flow" we have in F10 today - this one looks kinda disconnected to me.

It's not a bad look, and nothing's drastically changed, fairly classic, not flashy look, which in my view is good, but those are the things I'd change.
This 100%. I don't get this new trend either, it just makes the NAVI look like an afterthought. It's the same with the versions that flip-up.
      07-22-2016, 12:30 PM   #42
Alcenos
Field Marshal 🔱
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition (F90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilv3r View Post
This 100%. I don't get this new trend either, it just makes the NAVI look like an afterthought. It's the same with the versions that flip-up.
I thought that I remember reading somewhere that there was a German law or requirement that navigation screens be positioned higher so that they are more in the line of sight of the driver. This is why you are seeing this trend with Audi and MB as well.

However, I agree that is looks like an afterthought. It would be ok if the screen was able to do down when not in use.
2002 E46 325i - Space Grey (retired)
1999 E46 328i - Orient Blue (retired)
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 01:23 PM   #43
Bbb34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535i 6sp. DHP/RWD

BMW, Audi and Benz to me at least were always step above, classy, sleek "wrap around you" type of interior design (and fit and finish) that was just super sleek and well integrated with the rest of the car and for the most part "driver focused". While ago someone on the forum pointed how F10 design lines on the hood continue throughout the interior of the car, dashboard, the door trim and all the way to the back, and how everything just "flows" and fits together beautifully.

To me this new look, just looks a bit too "cut up". Different areas of the dash just don't "flow" together. Transition from instrument console to the rest of the dash, central vents, glove compartment and display screen, then lack of continuous line flow down to the center console just seems off to me. Personal opinion of course, I'm assuming they have highly skilled and well paid designers who agreed that this is the way to proceed for a reason.

Last edited by Bbb34; 07-22-2016 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #44
Nalod
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i

Every new model seemingly is met with "I don't like it".......
The first picture with the tan interior obviously is computer generated and missing certain details, including depth.
The second, witht he brown leather is awesome!!!