2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum BMW vs Liqui Moly: Consumption

05-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
BMW vs Liqui Moly: Consumption

Just wanted to share my experience with Liqui Moly as compared to BMW's oil for the N63TU.

I've basically been using BMW's oil for the first 2 years of ownership since oil changes were covered and performed by the dealer. When my CPO warranty kicked in, I started doing the oil changes myself and decided to give Liqui Moly a try since the cost of the oil would still come out to be less than paying the dealer to do it with BMW oil.

It's been roughly 6 months and ~5K miles later now. While I haven't noticed anything different with performance and such (didn't expect that I would), what has surprised me is oil consumption. With BMW's oil, I would generally need to top it off every ~5K. I just checked the oil level and it's still reading at a little below max. Nothing has changed with my driving style.

Not a scientific test by any measure, but that's enough for me to continue with Liqui Moly for all oil changes.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

What oil viscosity was BMW using and what viscosity is the Liqui Molly you used? Are they both the same or are they different?

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 06:21 AM   #3
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

I've been hesitating to say anything in any oil related threads lest..well, you know.

All should always keep in mind that the "marketing label" viscosities on oil products are a wide range and don't come close to telling the entire story about a lubricant. A "5W30" can be made to be a dirt cheap bulk oil with low shear resistance on the thin end of the spectrum, meant to give low stress sub-2L 4 cylinder econoboxes excellent fuel economy and $19 oil changes. A "5W30" can also be a heavy duty, robust, high temperature feat of engineering for a high revving, forced induction performance machine.

That being said, both oils in this thread should be in the second variety. The first thought I also had was "which" BMW and Liqui Moly product. If it was a 5W40 LM, that's an important distinction.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
spielnicht
Petrolhead
Rep
Drives: 24 X3 M40i/14 550i/08 Z4 3.0si

Garage List
That's a good point on the viscosity. I have no idea what the dealership was using, but I've gone with 5W30 from Liqui Moly.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 03:11 PM   #5
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

Just a note
If there is turbocharger involved

the oil has to be ACEA A3/B3 or A3/B4, it can't say meets or exceed, basically it means it has not be tested if one or both words are used.

Why?

More resistance to burning
Appreciate 1
tet0010.00
      07-31-2019, 08:08 PM   #6
SoCal550
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Just got my oil changed today at the BMW dealer and they used 0w-30 on my 550i.

I also had them run some diagnostics on oil consumption as I have had to add 3qts in the last 4K miles .

Whatever tests they did all came back normal and within range . They did officially start an "oil consumption test" and I have to return in 1000 miles to re-access.

Since I only have about 6 months left on the original warranty I really want to get any engine defects fixed now.

I am highly skeptical they actually did any actual oil tests though.

They did agree to resurface rotors and replace pads under warranty though which was nice .
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:15 PM   #7
ey2001
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 535i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal550 View Post

I also had them run some diagnostics on oil consumption as I have had to add 3qts in the last 4K miles .

Whatever tests they did all came back normal and within range . They did officially start an "oil consumption test" and I have to return in 1000 miles to re-access.

Since I only have about 6 months left on the original warranty I really want to get any engine defects fixed now.

They did agree to resurface rotors and replace pads under warranty though which was nice .
3 quarts in 4K normal? I would take it to another dealer to have them look at it...
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 03:53 AM   #8
TEF
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 X3 28d/18 540d xdrive

Garage List
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2018 540d xdrive  [0.00]
2016 X3 28d  [0.00]
Thus far, my 2016 X3 28d and 535d go the entire 10K miles between oil changes on 5w30 BMW oil without any topping up. Of course, this is based on the car's electronic display that continues to indicate that the respective vehicles are on the full mark. I seem to recall that there were other postings about oil consumption on the 550i's, so you might want to do search on the issue. However, consumption of almost one quart per thousand miles is serious for any modern car.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2019, 09:20 AM   #9
philipm785
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i

BMW claims these levels are within tolerances for this engine. Some other performance V8 engines (such as the one used in the Mustang) also exhibit similar behavior. I agree that it's not ideal, but it may not necessarily indicate that the engine is operating outside design parameters.

Curious: you say you have just 6 months of warranty left. Has the car always consumed this level of oil, or has the consumption increased in recent months? I'd think the latter trend might be more cause for concern.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #10
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

if you like your turbos use BMW oil if you planning on replacing use anything you like
IMO not worth saving $50 over dealer replacing oil down the road oil filter fail and you have major issue on your hand YOU WILL NEED NEW ENGINE
      08-02-2019, 09:37 PM   #11
SoCal550
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipm785 View Post
BMW claims these levels are within tolerances for this engine. Some other performance V8 engines (such as the one used in the Mustang) also exhibit similar behavior. I agree that it's not ideal, but it may not necessarily indicate that the engine is operating outside design parameters.

Curious: you say you have just 6 months of warranty left. Has the car always consumed this level of oil, or has the consumption increased in recent months? I'd think the latter trend might be more cause for concern.
I just just bought it in Feb 19 as a CPO with 1 year of the factory warranty remaining. So I don't have any prior information on consumption but it did have all regular service records and there wasn't any red flags about it.

I agree it is a ridiculous amount to consume for a modern car .

The service technician said it would still be considered within spec even at 1 qt / 750 miles !
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
Surly73
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 535xi 8AT KWv3 MPE MHD xHP

Quote:

The service technician said it would still be considered within spec even at 1 qt / 750 miles !
"within spec" doesn't mean "everything's OK". It just means that warranty isn't going to launch an investigation and repair unless it exceeds that amount.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #13
Bimmerroad
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 550i xdrive

simpler way to check

Quote:

You might as well drain some of the oil yourself to an unacceptable level and bring it back to the same dealer, you will find out for sure what their level of honesty is.

If anyone suspect of the stealership/mechanic honesty, knowledge, competence simply cause a few simple fault to the car (more than one better) like blocking a non debilitating but important sensor, spark plug etc..... if they get most of them with accuracy, there you have it.

Just don't make too obvious as they will know it is a test of honesty.

by the way 3 quarts in 4k miles? almost 1/2 of its capacity, not normal even for the life of the oil.

MY 550i had multiple oil leaks, from oil pan to turbo burning oil and causing leaks, if turbo it is hard to detect as the heat shieds and pan to grab the oil will prevent you from noticing just doing a simple visual check, must remove heat shield, oil accumulates under the turbo, and sticks to the surfaces, it takes quite a long time to make itself visible.

Oil sump upper and lower are likely to fail in very short time.

Stealership apparently don't get the same money from warranty as it may get from you, depending how the stealerships prefers to appraoch the problem, it may be more lucrative in the future.

The other thing to consider is that the employees are not the owners, some may feel that it is the kind pain the work needed and prefers to not face, one way of doing it is minimizing the problem to non exiting. Oil leaks usually requires dozens of removals, I am doing it myself as I type it, thus I know what it takes, nobody in their right mind would want to do it unless they have to or will make tons of money, employees make the same no matter what.
Appreciate 0