2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Valet parking

01-01-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

Valet parking

Twice last year I was in situations where my car could have been valet parked at no cost to me. In the first case I parked it myself (and so had to pay the car-parking cost) and on the second I took a taxi to and from the airport instead. Am I being over-sensitive? Are you happy to have someone park your car?

Last edited by MrPogle; 01-01-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPogle View Post
Twice last year I was in situations where my car could have been valet parked at no cost to me. In the first case I parked it myself (and so had to pay the car-parking cost) and on the second I took a taxi to and from the airport instead. Am I being over-sensitive? Are you happy to have someone park your car?
It's not just about letting someone park you car it's where it's left while you are away

I would always park it myself for peace of mind and I would always get a taxi if it made financial sense
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50
      01-01-2017, 02:11 PM   #3
Johnny Grabble
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 530d

Have used it at Manchester Airport a couple of times but only with my wife's car (!).

Colleague of mine has done the same with his Golf R32, he got it back with an additional 70 miles on it, so they obviously went the long way to the valet car parking which is less than 2 miles from the airport.

Apart from that, valet parking companies accept no liability for damage to your car and you will find that not all insurance policies cover the insured for damage in the hands of valet parkers. At your own risk...
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50
      01-01-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

I doubt you'd park in a space between a couple of rusty Transit vans, but your valet is unlikely to be quite so fussy Given the choice, I'd always opt to park my car myself!
Appreciate 1
Sp12348.50
      01-02-2017, 03:40 AM   #5
Mikey0423
Rep
Drives: BMW G31

Always do it yourself unless you know the company and where they park the cars been some horrific cases of where cars have been parked and what has happened to them, also check if your insurance covers when in the charge of a repair garage/valet.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 05:16 AM   #6
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Grabble View Post
Have used it at Manchester Airport a couple of times but only with my wife's car (!).

Colleague of mine has done the same with his Golf R32, he got it back with an additional 70 miles on it, so they obviously went the long way to the valet car parking which is less than 2 miles from the airport.

Apart from that, valet parking companies accept no liability for damage to your car and you will find that not all insurance policies cover the insured for damage in the hands of valet parkers. At your own risk...
They can say what they like about not accepting liability, etc. but the simple fact of law is that they have 'duty of care' to you and your car. They have taken money to provide a service, and any such service must be provided skillfully and diligently.
Such is the simple fact of contract law, and they know full well that nothing they say (or even put in the contract) allows them to get away from that.

The Unfair Contract Terms Act (1977) make it very clear. A term is unfair "if, contrary to the requirement of good faith, it causes a significant imbalance in the parties' rights and obligations arising under the contract, to the detriment of the consumer".
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 05:33 AM   #7
MrPogle
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 550i M-Sport LCI

This is true but it doesn't mean that a car damaged whilst in their care is their liability. Provided they have not been negligent and have taken reasonable care etc. the damage may be down to your insurance to cover. Gocompare reckon about half of insurance companies would cover damage whilst in the care of valet or repairers. So well worth checking yours if you intend to use valets.

Ironically, mine does but I don't want them driving the car anyway. When it comes to garages, you would hope a BMW franchise would stump up regardless but small independents maybe not so much.

Last edited by MrPogle; 01-02-2017 at 06:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:49 AM   #8
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 750i M Sport

My wife used to have to travel to Germany for work on a regular basis and I was horrified when she first went and they'd booked valet parking for her, as we'd only had the Boxster a few months. They did treat it well, no extra miles added and they remembered the car each time and reassured her that they would park it outside the office. Could have been nonsense of course, but it never had any damaged.

I was the same with the 535d and have always parked it myself in short stay at Heathrow, even when we're away for a couple of weeks, but I'm risking the valet next week as we're off for 3 weeks and short stay was extortionate this time for some reason. It's the official airport parking, so should be OK.....
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 03:37 AM   #9
Dhruv25
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520D M Sport

I would always want to park the car myself. Atleast I will have the peace of mind that the car is parked in a safe spot. As previously said, you do not want to park your car next to a banger and come back with dents and chipped paints on your doors just because they didnt care enough whilst opening their doors.

I am very fussy parking my car. Not over sensitive but I like to take care of it.

I think we should have Costco like parking bays everywhere!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #10
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's all well and good not parking next to a banger, but one could park next to you before you get back! I had the front of mine all scuffed and scraped when someone reversed or drove into it in a car park and it was parked well out of the way. They didn't leave a note of course, so I had to pay the £300 to get it fixed.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #11
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin2C View Post
It's all well and good not parking next to a banger, but one could park next to you before you get back!
Very true, but at least you're lowering the odds if you choose a space between a couple of Minis
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
Martin2C
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanS100 View Post
Very true, but at least you're lowering the odds if you choose a space between a couple of Minis
You are indeed. Make it a 5 door though, best to avoid 3 door cars and anything with child seats!
Appreciate 0