2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Insurance on contract hire

12-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #1
Rob Fin
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d m sport arrived

Insurance on contract hire

Please help, just had a nightmare. Told on the 23rd that my new f10 520 would be ready in the morning I.e Christmas eve. Was very happy until I rang Direct Line to change over the car details and they told me that as it was a contract hire car they wouldn't insure me as I wasn't the owner or registered keeper. I have had contract hire cars through direct line for 5 years and they have changed their underwriting. They have agreed to refund me my remaining payments but I have struggled to get insurance. I am now wit Tesco but they won't cover my wife as it is a sports car and she is too young. She is 31 and a solicitor with 5 years plus no claims. I have 10 days left to find alternative cover including the wife. Help please
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Moneysupermarket.co.uk

Rob, that sounds like a right nightmare mate. Have you tried money supermarket? That way you enter all the details once and get back a list of who will insure you and at what price
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
The Mewster
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 520d - arrived Jan 2011.

Sounds odd, I'm with Direct Line and lease my cars so am not the registered owner, and haven't had any trouble. Saying that my new car is due this week so it'll be interesting to see if I have any trouble.

But, I did change it over to a loaner about a month ago due to delays with mine, and I didnt have any trouble then?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Rob Fin
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d m sport arrived

Re Insurance

Thanks shake n bake, totally forgot about price comparison sites, the meerkat sorted me out with cover including the wife for a reasonable price. I was that stressed I couldnt see the wood for the trees. Car is awsome very impressed.
Appreciate 0