2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK A Quick review of my 550i M Sport

01-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

A Quick review of my 550i M Sport

Well after 580 Miles I thought I might give some insight to the 550i M Sport from my prospective here in the UK as it is at the moment a rare bird.

I have done mixed runs now, town with traffic jam, open roads and motorways.
I am still running in but allowed to run up to 4.5K RPM and it uses 95 RON fuel it actually “recommends it”.
I ran it on 98 RON for the first tank full, there after 95 RON and got the same economy
which is outstanding.
My runs are as said mixed with 90+MPH bursts thrown in and a bit of hardish take off’s, it’s returned ( brim too brim) a consistent 28.6MPG, now thats fantastic to me.
The car rides poor road surfaces very well in any mode ( Sport being my choice) and is extremely quiet at all speeds, engine noise is very muted and can hardly be heard at all. This will upset many but surprised me, I actually LIKE it quiet.
The car is not in the M3 league when it comes to tight corners but open B roads it loves and in no way is it vague as some have said, the steering is “electric” but I find after a few days you soon become accustomed to it’s characteristics.
The Comfort seats are the best/most comfortable I have had,this along with high quality interior fit and finnish makes for a real pleasurable place to spend time in. The wife actually likes this car very much ( thats saying something!).
The Power is instantaneous from tick over and you have to be light footed as it flies from the off, so much grunt, I have had some good laughs looking in the mirror at so called sports cars coming up behind and then seeing me fly away at rocket like speed, it’s mental.
As an every day driver I think it’s the best all rounder I have ever owned, it’s like a roller from inside, you can’t here the engine at all.
A wolf in sheep’s clothing for sure.
Attached Images

01-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #2
chuds
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 535d M Sport

Great review john, sounds like your enjoying all the power mate!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Nice review. Having similar fun in my F11...you've already passed me on the mileage front though and you got your car after me...I need to get out more!!

you following any running in procedure? my salesman said don't bother....think the BMW manual says different...not sure who to believe so i'm kind of running it in just to be safe.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2011, 03:07 AM   #4
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
Nice review. Having similar fun in my F11...you've already passed me on the mileage front though and you got your car after me...I need to get out more!!

you following any running in procedure? my salesman said don't bother....think the BMW manual says different...not sure who to believe so i'm kind of running it in just to be safe.
Yep I am following the "Guide" it advises keep under 4.5K RPM, which I am doing, but the car is so quick I don't even need that many revs to blow past most cars
It is as quick in normal day to day as the M3 was and through the gears seems quicker.
Once it's run in I will give it the full beans and see that it will do.