2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK F10 vs E90

03-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #1
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

F10 vs E90

E90 vs F10

Have a E90 320D M-Sport LeMans Blue with beige leather and am considering up grading to an F10 320D M-Sport, mainly for the extra space inside, particularly for rear passengers, also on the assumption that the bigger the motor the more comfortable ride.
Today, took myself down to the local dealer and sat in a 328i M-Sport Xiralic Imperial Blue with black leather inside. Fantastic. Very impressed, I must have a drive, but in a 320D.
My only worry is: the overall outside dimensions. It is big, big compared with a
E90, it is much bigger in my eyes.
Has anyone any comments of the drive ability regarding parking (in supermarkets say) and down narrow lanes etc compared with the E90?
I dont want feel I am parking or driving something appoaching a coach
Are all you guys happy with the manuevability of your F10?
I will no doubt be having a test drive but in my past experience they are never long enough and they dont normally cover parking and narrow lanes etc
Would much appreciate your comments and any thoughts on 'must have' extras. I would for sure go for the prof sat nav media + visibility package.
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
andyk500
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 520d M sport Carbon Black

See my post in the general area "day one review and buying summary" posted on the 4th march. Covers my views, spec etc. on my F10 520d M sport. Previously had three 3 series cars but wanted a bigger more comfy car and it certainly is. Would now only go back to a 3 if it was an M3. With regards to spec agree pro media and visibility are musts, think carefully about wheels, I wish I'd gone for 356's now (just to be different) Sports auto is another must and full electric seats with memory if two drivers are using the car. Sunroof is nice, very sunny here today, you get the feel of the outside without the draft or noise. Kids also love the rear heated seat, worth paying for now front ones are free. Folding mirrors for parking such a big beast.

With regards to parking, just make sure you choose your spot carefully to avoid those shopping dents on such a wide car in narrow spaces. Not sure if you've chosen a colour but carbon black is amazing.....
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #3
550 GHOST
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i dark graphite

I had a e46 330i before this f10, f10 is much bigger and yes in the tight spots you do have to rethink your old habits, but your new ones will be your old ones very soon if you go with the f10, good luck.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #4
Shake n Bake
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 520d M-Sport Prof Media

Its a big car. A man should drive a big car. lol:
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 06:47 AM   #5
Adiparker
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M Sport alpine white

The main thing I have noticed upgrading from an e92 is you can see the bonnet out of the windscreen, and when you pull up behind say, a corsa, it really does feel like your in a hell of machine. It is more difficult to park at first but you soon get used to it. It is very manoeuvrable and there are front and rear parking sensors which show you on the dashboard how close to objects you are.

I'm happy with it, like the other guys say, I would only go back to a 3 series if it was an M3 !
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 12:47 PM   #6
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks guys for all your comments. Much appreciated.
Took the wife along to have a look at an F10 with Xirallic Imperial Blue + black leather.
She was most impressed! Phew!
So I will be proceeding but will wait until say May/June before order for the new reg Sept delivery.
Thought had occurred to wait for a Oct delivery for a 2012 motor built in Sept. But I am assured there will be no engine upgrades etc for a couple or so years(?) I wonder!
Anybody any idea what might be coming along for the 2012 F10?
Reason being that my current E90 was a 2009 Sept reg on an Aug build, which meant it did not have the Sept build engine upgrade etc (e.g. 177 to 184hp etc) for the 2010 model.
It would seem that the BMW works closes in Aug for summer holidays, when they restart all models are then the following year models. How true am not sure.
Will save myself some cash by going SE rather than M-Sport. Still thinking, as I had a few probs with ground clearance in the snow with my current M-Sport + winter tyres. Could have M-Sport with out sports suspension. But like to save some cash for the extras as I have a budget. Hoping what I can get for the current motor & discount for a cash deal with the dealer. On the current E90 got over 12%

Proposed extras:-
Prof Sat Nav
Visibility package
Vari damper control
Sport Autotrans
Split folding rear seats
Sports seats
Sports steering wheel
Lumbar support
Seat heating rear
Ambient lighting
Air conditioning extended
Loudspeaker BMW Business
USB audio interface
Telephone USB audio interface
Sport steering wheel
Ext mirrors folding etc
And for the wife, of course: reversing camera

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #7
Adiparker
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M Sport alpine white

Good call on the reversing camera !!!!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
RCUK
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 911 Turbo

there is talk of the 525xd coming out later this yr ... would be one hell of a car if it had 4wd too.

You might wanna consider DAB too - i didnt spec it on mine and i think it was a mistake not to.
      03-22-2011, 01:37 AM   #9
RC3
Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: F10 528i

Garage List
2011 F10 528i  [10.00]
Coming from E46, the F10 is much bigger car for me. Driving habit has to be totally re-tuned. In Hong Kong, the parking spaces and driveways are extremely tight. For my old car I could maneuver easily but now I need to steer a few more times. Getting the rear camera is a good idea.

If you plan on getting wider wheels you need to drive even more careful. I scratched my rims 2 times already with only 1,000km. May be my driving sucks. LOL

2011 F10 528i Black Sapphire / Oyster Black
2000 E46 325ci Cabrio Titanium Silver / Black - retired
1997 E36/7 Z3 Montreal Blue / Black - retired
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Wife now says, what she would really like is a Jag XF not an F10. I said why?
Because, she said, its soooo nice inside & smooth & quite.
Well to me, the XF reminds me of a pig. A big pig, with £300 road tax & 12 month services.
So I might have a battle on my hands.
Will keep you advised of developments.
PS Before my current E90 I did test drive an XF. It was, I admit very nice indeed. I felt like Mr Big. But I am not a Mr Big.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2011, 03:00 PM   #11
The Mewster
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 520d - arrived Jan 2011.

One of my co-directors has an XF, so I've been in and out of both a fair bit, albeit only as a passenger in the XF. It's certainly nice, but IMHO seems quite dated compared to the F10/11. In particular the nav screen seems really small compared to the 10" screen in the BMW, and the touch screen interface actually seems quite a faff.

Pro media pack, visibility pack, sports steering wheel, heated seats, lumbar support, ambient lighting, USB interface, 18" wheels, parking camera, auto tailgate, sun protection glass.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 03:57 AM   #12
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
Are all you guys happy with the manuevability of your F10?
I will no doubt be having a test drive but in my past experience they are never long enough and they dont normally cover parking and narrow lanes etc
Would much appreciate your comments and any thoughts on 'must have' extras. I would for sure go for the prof sat nav media + visibility package.
Cheers!
I would strongly recommend that you take an extensive test drive and, if possible, in a car fitted with Adaptive Drive as per your proposed configuration.
I've covered 6k miles in my 535d since September, and overall I'm extremely impressed with it. However the steering is very un-BMW like in that it feels artificial, too light and somewhat vague on-centre. This is currently being addressed by my dealer, but I and many others on this forum think the problem is a result of electric power steering.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks 'The Mewster' & 'Jon D' for your comments.
I think the XF is now I think bit of a dinosaur, I just do not want to know!
Adaptive Drive is unfortunately not available for the the 320D (I wish!)
and the 530D is a bit above my budget.
My 320d has servotronic electric steering and I notice it is not quite so positive in the straight ahead position as my previous 320i with hydraulic steering. It perhaps misses out on a feeling of agility.
But having said that it is easier park and overall the steering is pretty
positive at low speeds and firms up nicely with speed.
I guess electric steering is a deal cheaper and has less servicing problems than hydraulics. Sounds like a similar situation with the F10.
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #14
The Mewster
Private
Rep
Drives: F11 520d - arrived Jan 2011.

Just regarding the test drive, I managed to get a demo 520d F10 for a couple of days when I was deciding on mine. Only problem is you're unlikely to get the exact spec you want, but it does give you a good feel for the car.

Pro media pack, visibility pack, sports steering wheel, heated seats, lumbar support, ambient lighting, USB interface, 18" wheels, parking camera, auto tailgate, sun protection glass.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for all your comments! Recently visited my local dealer and got a spec together comprising:-
520D SE
NB Am going for the SE rather than the M-Sport as I prefer the higher gound clearance in the snow!
Imperial blue Xirallic
Black Dakota leather
Visibilty package
BMW Professional media
Vari Damper Control
Sport steering wheel
Sport auto tranns
Reversing assist camera
Ext mirrors folding etc
split rear seats
Sports seats
lumbar support
seat heating rear
Ambient lighting
Surround view
Park assist
Internet
Loudspeaker system BMW Bis
USB interface
Speed limit display
Fine brushed ali interior trim ?

The last item am not sure about, but seems to be the one to go for, so they tell me! Any thoughts?
Some of the items are specced to assist my better half as it is that much larger than our current E90.

Would appreciate your general comments!
Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #16
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

good spec...if it was me i'd ditch park assist and use that £££ towards fully electric memory seat option. i am biased though as that's exactly what i did. for me the fully electric seat with driver memory is used much more regularly than park assist ever would be, invaluable when both you and the wife are using the car i used to spend days having to try and get the seat/wheel back just how i liked them, with memory function its simple

...but then i don't live in london so maybe park assist more useful for you???
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #17
newstuart
Private
Rep
Drives: 520 msport

We had an E46 and changed to a VW Touerag as we needed a proper 4x4 for rural Northumberland snow but still wanted some luxury (that was a big change those things are huge!). Within a few months it just felt like driving any other car, if you ignored the mpg!!

My wife has the Touerag still and I now have an F10 and find it fine, ive done 10,000 miles in the last 3 months in it so had plenty of practice on all types of roads

I think as soon as you get used to the larger dimensions of the f10 it will become 2nd nature

Last edited by newstuart; 04-19-2011 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:36 PM   #18
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
good spec...if it was me i'd ditch park assist and use that £££ towards fully electric memory seat option. i am biased though as that's exactly what i did. for me the fully electric seat with driver memory is used much more regularly than park assist ever would be, invaluable when both you and the wife are using the car i used to spend days having to try and get the seat/wheel back just how i liked them, with memory function its simple

...but then i don't live in london so maybe park assist more useful for you???
I also would prefer the memory seat option, would be very convenient, but my better half has a thing about parking in tight spaces and the options available for the F10 was for her the motor to go for! I am not complaining!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 02:46 PM   #19
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep

I have driven the previous 5 series with no prob but the F10 in the showroom seems huge! For the test drive I am waiting for the right moment.
Appreciate 0