2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK New Combox / Date of Reg ??

04-12-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport Plus Edition 2020

New Combox / Date of Reg ??

Hi All,

My freind is looking at buying a used F10, but he does want one with the new
combox fitted now I know that these were only fitted to cars built september 2010 onwards, But trying to get a dealer to understand seems a problem !

He has called about a few F10's that have been registered in Oct/Nov 2010 (60 plates) but none seem to have the combox fitted, so would you reckon he is looking at 2011 (60 plate) registered vehicles ?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #2
sunnyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Not necessarliy - mine was October build - I have the Prof Nav and can do the 7 digit post code if thats what you mean by new combox. Might be a case of testing in the car
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah i see what your saying re postcode search etc, also album art etc.. Yours is an October Build which ties in with the knowlege that the combox is only fitted on F10's built from Sept 2010, But when was it actaully registered , As that is the only way that you can search for a used car with BMW,

Cheers again....
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
sunnyUK
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 520d

Delivered in first week of Nov
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 12:16 AM   #5
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Make sure if he is literally calling them that they actually check the fitted standard options list on their computer.

Before I decided on the F11 I to called a few dealers about some F10s and asked the same question.

On many occasions they said "no combox" sometime answer came to quick almost as if they didnt know what it was but to save face they just said no. I then pressed them to check the list of standard options and on most occasions the reply came back "oh yes you're right combox controller......"

Don't take their word for it over the phone if the car seems to have been registered or built at a time when it should have the combox fitted.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #6
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey View Post
Make sure if he is literally calling them that they actually check the fitted standard options list on their computer.

Before I decided on the F11 I to called a few dealers about some F10s and asked the same question.

On many occasions they said "no combox" sometime answer came to quick almost as if they didnt know what it was but to save face they just said no. I then pressed them to check the list of standard options and on most occasions the reply came back "oh yes you're right combox controller......"

Don't take their word for it over the phone if the car seems to have been registered or built at a time when it should have the combox fitted.

Bunch of monkeys at the dealers, youd think they would really want to check in detail if your trying to buy a £30000+ purchase !!!

Called yesterday on a Nov 2011 registered F10 - No Combox he did go away and check too.. As he said no Office function or Album Art.... I would of thought a Nov 2011 would of have the combox fitted...
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:39 AM   #7
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

if you search on here somewhere is a thread that shows the option code for combox...i think its 6VC or something similar. I ended up just asking them to check for the code as I'm sure with my dodgee northern accent they couldn't understand what i was asking for anyway

ps: don't bother asking about album art of office funtion...most dealers won't know how / where the album art is shown or won't be using the normal white ipod cable with their device...or have a device with album art embedded correctly and as for office they probably think you're a nutter who is expecting MS Word / Powerpoint in i-drive....or they don't have a phone that supports office functions anyway...and lets face it its mostly only specific blackberry models that do so its hard for them to verify (Sorry if any dealers reading this but based on my buying experience your sales guys don't know how to demo half the features your cars have! )

pps: when I was looking for my F11 M-Sport went to one dealer had a look at their F11 535d M-Sport in showroom, went to next dealer asked if they had any F11 M-Sports in stock or "out back" i could look at as comparison. Sales bloke informed me the F11 M-Sport hadn't been released (this was in Nov 2010) but would be coming out Spring 2011. Needless to say I didn't go back there again he was shocked when I told him "that's funny I saw one 1/2hr ago and here's a pic of it on my phone"

Last edited by northernmonkey; 04-13-2011 at 04:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 02:47 PM   #8
stephen3rd
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d Edition MSport

Combox (6vc) started in build week 39.

Cars could have been built and not registered for weeks or months. Build week is the only way to tell.

Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0