2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Broken Strut (longish)

12-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
scott in cincy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi

Broken Strut (longish)

So, I brought my car to the dealer last week to have a few things done to it, and after a week I've heard nothing (wheel they repaired was peeling, rattle in door, and rear brake rotors are warped). I call and they've been struggling with the car to get it to take an upgrade. Fair enough, I say, I work in IT, I get that stuff happens.

Turns out that the reason they can't upgrade it is because of my right front strut is broken, the end link for the sway bar is bent, and the electronics for the EDC was ripped out of the strut.

Now, the car gave no errors, drove straight, made no weird noises, yet that sounds like a pretty nasty issue? They want $2300.00 to replace the broken parts.

Besides the obvious fact that I can't imagine how it *got* broken, do I have any alternatives to the factory struts? Most of what I've seen on here are upgraded springs on factory struts. I'd also like to keep the EDC compatibility.

I know on my 997tt there are bilsteins that can replace the factory PASM shocks, but don't seem to see that for BMW. Any thoughts?

Pure Stage 1 and inlet pipe sitting in a box in garage!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

I'm surprised you didn't notice anything. Is it possible they damaged the car after you dropped it off?

I've seen coilovers made for EDC, but I think they just remove the cel and you still lose the functionality.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
scott in cincy
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
I'm surprised you didn't notice anything. Is it possible they damaged the car after you dropped it off?
I'm going to look at it tomorrow to see what the impact looks like. They say it looks like it got hit from the front... which just seems super odd to me.

Quote:
I've seen coilovers made for EDC, but I think they just remove the cel and you still lose the functionality.
That's what I gathered too. So far haven't seen any other alternatives.

Appreciate 0
      12-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
scott in cincy
Private
United_States
Rep

So as a follow up and a warning to others, I figured I'd let you guys know how this settled out. After looking at the car, the sway bar was definitely pushed up far enough to where it bent the end link to the sway bar. When that happened, it broke the electrical connector to the right front shock.

There is no field repair for the connector, so the shock is basically scrap. I'm paying $2300 to put in a new shock, a new end link, and align the car. I'm super pissed about the whole thing because of the following:

1) Why did the car never have an idiot light come on?
2) Why did the car still track straight and have no alignment issues?
3) How could a pot hole, curb, etc (that I know I didn't hit) cause this much damage to the suspension, yet the wheel, alignment, and the rest show no ill will?

I think it's all very fishy, and I'm aggravated. Lesson learned for sure, and if the car is susceptible to these kinds of issues, I am concerned for those folks who have lowered theirs to suffer similar fates.

Last edited by scott in cincy; 12-20-2013 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0