2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum 535i performance boost

12-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #1
armanm
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Sport2015 535i M S

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
535i performance boost

Hi guys,

I am looking to do some work on my newly acquired 535i, apart from cosmetics.

Aside from a tune, what other performance upgrades can I run?
Also I have heard swapping the run-flats for regular tires might be better in terms of traction.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 08:24 PM   #2
Mr Clean
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Congrats on your newly acquired ride. Tunes represent the basis for performance mods for this platform, as they provide the most power and allow other mods to perform at full potential. Consider my set up:
- Jb4 Stage 2 tune with FF wires, which enables me to run ER competition catless down pipes without a check engine light (auto clear function), select different maps for different accompanying performance items and fuels and a computer program to read and delete codes.
-Catless downpipes, which essentially replaces the catalytic converter allowing better flow from the turbo due to reduced back-pressure, enabling the car to produce more horsepower, torque and a more pronounced sound(albeit with a more pronounced "gas smell").
-BMS intake, adds up to 10 whp by allowing the car to "breathe" better. This intake replaces the stock filter and upper intake (filter) housing cover, while retaining the OEM cover as a base. I have observed my IAT lower according to my JB4 mobile app since installing this intake and I believe I can feel a difference in power. I cant say much for sound though, since my car is essentially straight piped .
-ER Charge-pipe, replaces the OEM plastic charge-pipe which is prone to breaking at the throttle body when boost is increased (such as when a tune is added). This part can still break however, with a totally stock car, but this risk increases a great deal once the car is tuned. Better throttle response and a peace of mind are the main benefits to this mod.

Pure makes a turbo upgrade for this car but I have yet to see an active (dedicated) F10 thread pertaining to a F10 N55 pure turbo upgrade.

I see you mentioned tires, but switching from runflat to non run flat would be more in the neighborhood of an aural and handling enhancement rather than "performance" (at least in the context of how I used performance). I did switch my OEM Goodyear Ls2s for Michelin pilot sports a few months ago, and coupled with the DHP, M sport pckg and H&R springs, the car handles superbly. The ride quality (and tire noise quality) has also increased a great deal on the highway. Due to the geometry associated with lowering a car, especially a heavy F10, the ride quality around town is noticeably stiffer as the travel is shorter and again, due to the weight of the car. The car has less tolerances for deeper dips and higher bumps , reminding me I am lowered each time I encounter one (I dont want you to think I am complaining, Im simply explaining the change I felt/feel). Overall however, when I look at the car and experience the smooth and confident feel on the highways, corners and on the majority of city streets (I am in NYC and travel to Brooklyn North almost everyday) It reaffirmed the great choice I made to lower the car. I would say that on a scale from 0% - 100% where I was about 65% pleased with the car aesthetically and handling wise, I am about 95% pleased.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #3
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i Jet Black

OP...in regards to performance it varies from person to person. You haven't mentioned what kind of performance you're after? I've seen post where they want a faster car but want to keep the exhaust stock because they don't want the exhaust sound? Or what performance parts can they get without voiding the warrant? Or my budget is only $500...what can I do with that? Give us some goals than we can start from there.
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Follow me on Instagram: lsturbointeg
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 12:32 AM   #4
armanm
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i M Sport2015 535i M S

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Thanks for the replies guys.

Budget I would definitely want to spend under $2k
I would want to increase my power for better take off and better 0-60 times.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by armanm View Post
Hi guys,

I am looking to do some work on my newly acquired 535i, apart from cosmetics.

Aside from a tune, what other performance upgrades can I run?
Also I have heard swapping the run-flats for regular tires might be better in terms of traction.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armanm View Post
Thanks for the replies guys.

Budget I would definitely want to spend under $2k
I would want to increase my power for better take off and better 0-60 times.
JB4 + Catless downpipes + Intercooler
You can get all these for less than 2k

It would be a very good idea to replace the charge pipe as well.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 12:24 AM   #6
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

You probably know this, but you can't legally add performance mods to your car here in California unless they have a CARB certification. Whether you care or not is a different story
Dinan stuff is 50 state emissions legal, but pricey.
The Burger stuff (JB4, etc) is much more cost effective, but can't be sold in California.
But then again, you did state "aside from tunes" so the JB4 is probably irrelevant.
      12-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #7
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Stick with the exhaust side of things than. If u check the Marketplace there's some pretty good deals from exhaust, intake and even a charge pipe for sale!
~F90Conversion~21"3Piece Forged AvantGardeWheels~KWV1Coilovers~CQUENCE slotted/drilled rotors~GoodridgeStainlesslines~MeisterschaftQuadEx haust~Akrapovic 4"tips~VRSF DP~VRSF CP~TurboSmart BOV~K&N filter~CarbonFiberExteriorComponents~GladenAlphaCo mponents~MatchUp7BMW~Punch P300-12T~
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 12:00 PM   #8
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 550i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
JB4 + Catless downpipes + Intercooler
You can get all these for less than 2k

It would be a very good idea to replace the charge pipe as well.
Please don't encourage people to illegally modify their cars. You should never install catless downpipe unless it is literally your track/off road vehicle. You can easily buy a catted downpipe or just weld a universal one on.

I know parts sellers don't care because they just want to sell the stuff. But that is unethical business practices. I'm 100% sure all of them know most of these parts being purchased are not for off road use. Not to mention, it is also ridiculously overpriced, highly toxic emissions, and can smell like doo doo.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 12:54 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 493263 View Post
Please don't encourage people to illegally modify their cars. You should never install catless downpipe unless it is literally your track/off road vehicle. You can easily buy a catted downpipe or just weld a universal one on.

I know parts sellers don't care because they just want to sell the stuff. But that is unethical business practices. I'm 100% sure all of them know most of these parts being purchased are not for off road use. Not to mention, it is also ridiculously overpriced, highly toxic emissions, and can smell like doo doo.
Im answering OP's question about how he can upgrade the performance of his car. Whether this is legal or not is something OP needs to check with his state.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      12-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #10
lsturbointeg
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Sorry but I agree with Mike here. Have living in Cali my car was not street legal with the parts I had. Everybody and their mama had some type of illegal modification to their car. Mike just posted what the OP was asking for that's available. Check the threads here regarding DP's... nobody buys them for track use!

Please don't encourage people to illegally modify their cars
SORRY but this made me laugh til my stomach hurts!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2015, 02:30 AM   #11
Hasser
Major
Isle of Man
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:

its only illegal if you get caught!!
M235i - sold
Activehybrid 5 - sold
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2016, 02:13 PM   #12
Luky
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasser View Post
its only illegal if you get caught!!
This!!!

Or are you saying you never exceed the speed limits by even 1mph?

"Legal" is just some politicians BS idea of what we should be allowed regardless of morals or societal values. Prostitution is legal in NV and other places around the world, so is it wrong or right? I have no problem with emission standards (to a point) but there is no reason that it should be illegal to modify your car in California if it still passes the smog/emissions test...

CARB is a farce of a bureaucracy that duplicates what the EPA does for the entire country and costs CA taxpayers over half a BILLION dollars a year. (That is their "official" budget. Look it up. I read a report that the director of CARB admitted to a $900 million budget and wanted more). Think about what an extra half billion+ per year could do to fix our CA roads or schools or what not?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 03:02 PM   #13
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luky View Post
This!!!

Or are you saying you never exceed the speed limits by even 1mph?

"Legal" is just some politicians BS idea of what we should be allowed regardless of morals or societal values. Prostitution is legal in NV and other places around the world, so is it wrong or right? I have no problem with emission standards (to a point) but there is no reason that it should be illegal to modify your car in California if it still passes the smog/emissions test...

CARB is a farce of a bureaucracy that duplicates what the EPA does for the entire country and costs CA taxpayers over half a BILLION dollars a year. (That is their "official" budget. Look it up. I read a report that the director of CARB admitted to a $900 million budget and wanted more). Think about what an extra half billion+ per year could do to fix our CA roads or schools or what not?
It's a health and safety issue, not a "moral" issue.
The EPA just adopted the CARB laws starting with 2016 model year cars. CARB does a helluva lot more than regulate auto emissions (a very small part of that budget, and does not duplicate the EPA in many areas) and is one of the main drivers behind our air being so much cleaner than it was in the past as well as the commensurate improvement in pollution related illness.

It's not illegal to modify your car. It's illegal to modify your car with a product that is not CARB certified.
I have no problem with manufacturers having to prove their products are 50 state emissions legal before they can be sold here. BMW and Dinan do it with their performance products and others should follow.
And to other points posted here, what really doesn't fly is this notion that one can illegally pollute a shared resource like the air we all breathe just because they don't agree with the laws, or just because they can get away with it... I have no words for that kind of thinking.
      01-17-2016, 03:43 PM   #14
ezaircon4jc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEndeavor View Post
It's a health and safety issue, not a "moral" issue.
The EPA just adopted the CARB laws starting with 2016 model year cars. CARB does a helluva lot more than regulate auto emissions (a very small part of that budget, and does not duplicate the EPA in many areas) and is one of the main drivers behind our air being so much cleaner than it was in the past as well as the commensurate improvement in pollution related illness.

It's not illegal to modify your car. It's illegal to modify your car with a product that is not CARB certified.
I have no problem with manufacturers having to prove their products are 50 state emissions legal before they can be sold here. BMW and Dinan do it with their performance products and others should follow.
And to other points posted here, what really doesn't fly is this notion that one can illegally pollute a shared resource like the air we all breathe just because they don't agree with the laws, or just because they can get away with it... I have no words for that kind of thinking.
To a point. There's no reason an aftermarket intake needs to go through the very expensive approval process. Getting more air into and out of the engine doesn't affect emissions. Intakes are verboten but cat-back exhausts aren't? Pretty arbitrary to me. Besides, we aren't idiots. I installed a K&N FilterCharger on my Lincoln LS and had it on before CARB decided aftermarket intakes were illegal. Every 2 years I just install the factory intake, get the car smogged and go home and reinstall the K&N. Why can I install the K&N panel filter but not the complete intake? No reason other than requiring certification creates a new revenue stream.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #15
Noncom23
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i

Garage List
2015 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Get a Sprint Booster to improve accelerator lag. This mod feels like a tune in and of itself. Easy install.
      01-20-2016, 09:47 PM   #16
Bmw doubles
Dream crusher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Garage List
2011 535  [0.00]
+1 SB
535i MIssion Performance, PS2, Helix HPFP Kit, Wagner FMIC, Spec 3 clutch, Steel SMF, Wolf Racing CP, UUC SSK, GFB dv, SprintBooster, Custom Dynomax Exhaust, M5 Sways, Eibach OE Springs, Koni Sports Adjustable, Custom Short Ram CAI

IG: @bmwdoubles
Appreciate 0