2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum a6 vs 535i

04-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #45
Alan l.
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 F95 X5M Competition

Personally if the F10 handle and rode like my E90 335i i would NOT get the F10. These cars have very different purposes. My e90 handles like a go kart and it can blow the doors off 95% of the cars on the road but now that I am older (34) it's not what I always want. Especially when my pregnant wife is in the car with me. You feel every little bump and the car isn't as relaxing at speed. Sometimes i just want to sit back and cruise. Let's face it. You aren't tracking your f10 or a6 regardless and if you are you bought the wrong car. 99.9% of these cars "track time" will be going around a bend merging on to a highway going to work where the speed limit is well below what these cars are capable of handling.

The A6 is def a very nice car and the performance seems back up the looks. Very stylish but I would agree a few years down the line the Audi wont age as well as the classic lines of the F10 msport. I plan to throw on a set of ACS springs and it should solve the issue where the a6 handles better than the BMW. I have a few die hard audi fanatics friends and they are always fixing stuff non stop with them.

Alan

Last edited by Alan l.; 04-23-2012 at 08:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #46
The X Men
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan l. View Post
Personally if the F10 handle and rode like my E90 335i i would NOT get the F10. These cars have very different purposes. My e90 handles like a go kart and it can blow the doors off 95% of the cars on the road but now that I am older (34) it's not what I always want. Especially when my pregnant wife is in the car with me. You feel every little bump and the car isn't as relaxing at speed. Sometimes i just want to sit back and cruise. Let's face it. You aren't tracking your f10 or a6 regardless and if you are you bought the wrong car. 99.9% of these cars "track time" will be going around a bend merging on to a highway going to work where the speed limit is well below what these cars are capable of handling.

The A6 is def a very nice car and the performance seems back up the looks. Very stylish but I would agree a few years down the line the Audi wont age as well as the classic lines of the F10 msport. I plan to throw on a set of ACS springs and it should solve the issue where the a6 handles better than the BMW. I have a few die hard audi fanatics friends and they are always fixing stuff non stop with them.

Alan
The E90 does handle like a go cart, it’s a amazing driver's car. I agree that the F10 is a good combination of luxury and sports, that is one of the main reason I am interested in the car.
BMW's conservative design are just that, conservative. It’s not eye popping, but it’s not ugly, always somewhere in the middle.
I get a kick out of some of you guys saying Audi is unreliable, BMW is not exactly the benchmark for reliability either.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #47
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

Bmw's reliability is nothing to rave about but better than Audi in my experience. Parts are also less expensive as well. Parts for my buddies VW jetta cost more than my Bmw which was shocking. Working on an Audi is also a nightmare where you have to remove a front sway bar to do an oil change on my buddies RS6 and on my buddies Allroad you pretty much have to drop the motor to change out the turbos and manifolds. Its like audi did it on purpose so they can rape you on labor costs.

Not that this matters on new cars though but something to consider if you plan on owning one past the warranty period.
      04-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #48
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Bmw's reliability is nothing to rave about but better than Audi in my experience. Parts are also less expensive as well. Parts for my buddies VW jetta cost more than my Bmw which was shocking. Working on an Audi is also a nightmare where you have to remove a front sway bar to do an oil change on my buddies RS6 and on my buddies Allroad you pretty much have to drop the motor to change out the turbos and manifolds. Its like audi did it on purpose so they can rape you on labor costs.
Not that this matters on new cars though but something to consider if you plan on owning one past the warranty period.
Personal experience aside, JD power shows that BMW is about average in reliability as well as Audi and Mercedes. BMW lemons, Audi lemons, we all have seem them on forums. Differcult maintenance procedures? German cars are know for that. Personally, I would not own any German car without a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #49
montanaman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535 Msport ..

My boss as a graphite version of the new A6 and it often is parked next to my graphite 535 M. In the looks department there is no comparison. BMW wins hands down. I like Audi and came from a 2007 A8 to this 5 series but to me the new Audi is just ok looking. Now the A7... then we have a controversy. I was tempted to go there but they were not all the way out when I need a new car and the Audi lease residuals always are lower and the payment on an equal value car is always higher with Audi so I went 5 series and have no regrets.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 07:20 PM   #50
matt44228
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i (Black Sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERCSUk153 View Post
No one beats MB for $$$ for parts and service. They are totally outrageous if comparing German brands. BMW is a little cheaper than Audi but not significantly more.
As for RS model cars, yes they are very expensive to maintain. I would rather buy the M cars when looking at RS cars unless you are talking about R8 and TTRS. The M5 and M3 is much more reliable and cheaper and easier to maintain than the RS4/RS5/RS6.

i know mercedes is more expensive to maintain and service than bmw, but audi? really? I would think its mercedes then bmw then audi.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #51
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

^^ Nope. Your logic makes sense but its not the case. This is coming from friends that all own or owned Audi's. I wouldn't be surprised parts for audi's being on par with parts for a Porsche.
      04-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #52
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
MERCSUk153, I'm actually an Audi S4 fan as well. That's the only Audi model that will ever be in my garage, since the M3 is a bit steep on my wallet. Through the past 8 years, I owned everything from EVO IXs, Merc, Acuras, to Infinitis. I'm hooked on BMWs since I bought an E90, nothing compares to how it drives and handles. Now that I own the F10, it is another leap forward. It's a perfect blend of peformance, luxury, and fuel economy (check out my photo below, actual trip from Houston, TX to Kansas City). I don't think there's any other car I would own in this class. Yes, 300hp and still gets 34.1mpg @ 70mph avg.

I respect your opinion on Audi, and I do agree that they're doing a lot better job on the design compared to 6yrs ago. On this thread, we're comparing the A6 3.0TFSI vs the 535i. Which honestly will get biased opinions on an F10 Post. I've driven both, the A6 does have an understeer feel around tight corners. I also feel disconnected from the road, and I do feel the A6's weight. The 5 series is well balance at 50/50, timeless design, and very driver focused. Since I had an E90, the F10 feels like an E90 around the corner and the weight doesn't feel present. I used to like the LED lines on the Audi headlights, until KIAs caught up to the "Fad." 10yrs from now, I would hate looking at the Audis' headlights since everyone and their moms have it on their headlights. This is what I meant by "Fads." BMWs have been sticking to the kidney grills since the beginning, and their lines/headlights are very predictable for the next model.

BMWs stay conservative, classy, sporty, and timeless on designs which is not easy to do. The designers really think about how people will apeal to their designs 10-15yrs from now. With that, "my" vote is the 535i over the A6 3.0TFSI, but it's a close race in deed.
Amen brother well said.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 07:51 AM   #53
Rbembas_M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2011 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
First off, I would never buy an xDrive BMW "car" (except my my awesome '12 E70 Sport - xDrive Only, the Sexiest SUV ever). Audi does a better job than BMW on the AWD stuff, hands down. I was comparing an E90 335i (not 328xi) to an F10 535i, both RWDs. I own both for a year, and the cornering/feel is very similar. The stiff F10's chassis is very stable, the quiet cabin is nice on long cruises.

FYI, I don't need to go to a track to push my cars to the limit. My F10 will go side ways on exit ramps, you just need some balls to push it.

Agree, the F10's factory suspension is on the soft side that disspointed enthusiast (KW or ACS will solve that problem). As for DRL, BMW invented the Halo rings. All they did lately is change the older bulbs with LEDs. That design will stay timeless, as the E39, E36, E46, etc (I wouldn't mind having an E39 or E46 M, awesome cars). I sure hope they don't go with the LED strips in the future.

Sorry, but I'm not sold on the A6 (just the S4 and S5). I'm not saying the A6 is the right or wrong choice for you, just not for "Me." Feel free to convince others.
I hear you about the exit ramps down shifting my 6 speed MT and getting on it....
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #54
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaman View Post
My boss as a graphite version of the new A6 and it often is parked next to my graphite 535 M. In the looks department there is no comparison. BMW wins hands down. I like Audi and came from a 2007 A8 to this 5 series but to me the new Audi is just ok looking. Now the A7... then we have a controversy. I was tempted to go there but they were not all the way out when I need a new car and the Audi lease residuals always are lower and the payment on an equal value car is always higher with Audi so I went 5 series and have no regrets.
Hmmm, the A6 does not come in a graphite color
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #55
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
^^ Nope. Your logic makes sense but its not the case. This is coming from friends that all own or owned Audi's. I wouldn't be surprised parts for audi's being on par with parts for a Porsche.
There is just one problem with gathering data from friends and family, the sample size is too small.

I went to this site and compare the cost of a set of front and rear brake rotor between the 2011 535i and the 2011 A6. The BMW front rotor cost $210 and rear $142. The Audi front cost $79 and rear $63. The BMW front rotor is more than triple the cost. Here is another example of the price difference, a water pump for a 2011 535i cost $620, while a water pump for the 2011 A6 is $79, thats almost 8 times the cost.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/

Last edited by The X Men; 04-25-2012 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #56
Alan l.
Major General
Rep

If that site's prices are legit then thats a shocker for me. A oem honda civic's front rotor probably cost more than $79!
      04-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #57
montanaman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535 Msport ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Hmmm, the A6 does not come in a graphite color
They do.. its called " oolong grey metallic" . Go figure.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #58
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

Whew, good thing I got mine before the new A6 became available ;-) Sometimes choice is a b**** ;-)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #59
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

A6 might be a better car dynamically but lacks the timeless looks (if you're gonna keep your car for 10 years or so), the hefty build and cachet of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #60
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
If you think the 535i handles like a 335i, then you must be really high on the BMW Kool Aid As much as I like the F10 535i, I know what it can or cannot do. If you think there is no difference between the handling of the F10 and the E90, then you must drive your BMW like a old lady. Looking at your 34 MPG trip computer post, I think you like to baby your car.
FYI, while you are power sliding or drifting your BMW RWD side way on a exit ramp, an AWD sedan can power it way thru the same ramp instead of sliding. Guess who will exit the ramp quicker.
I like BMW Kool Aid.
I reset my trip computer before taking off. My 7:37hr trip average at 69.3mph with (2) 15min stops (wife with small bladder) + Dallas rush hour traffic (25-45mph for 1hr). Grandma driving? Do your math again buddy.

I'm not sure what your deal is on this forum, but if you want to buy an A6 then just pull the trigger already. You don't have to justify the purchase with us.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #61
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbembas535i View Post
I hear you about the exit ramps down shifting my 6 speed MT and getting on it....
LOL, thanks for backing me up bro. We have another Audi sales rep on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #62
The X Men
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I like BMW Kool Aid.
I reset my trip computer before taking off. My 7:37hr trip average at 69.3mph with (2) 15min stops (wife with small bladder) + Dallas rush hour traffic (25-45mph for 1hr). Grandma driving? Do your math again buddy.

I'm not sure what your deal is on this forum, but if you want to buy an A6 then just pull the trigger already. You don't have to justify the purchase with us.
Why would I need to justify anything with you? All I am trying to point out is that the A6 has better performance than the 535i, you can take that for what it’s worth.
With that said, performance is not everything in the mid size sport luxury sedan segment. The 535i has a very good combination of luxury and sportiness. It also has other attributes that are better than the A6, such as a quieter ride and a more solid feel to the car.
Appreciate 0