2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum What are the inner projectors?

04-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #1
bimmerkrlox
Rep
Drives: BMW 520i 2012

What are the inner projectors?

If we see our headlights, we can see that the inner projector has no light, or I haven't seen it lit up! What's its function??

Thank guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:43 AM   #2
dav_lph
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 540iX

If you have Xenon headlight, the inner circle is for the Flashlight (when your pull the light stalk). While the xenon, outside circle, will be used for the high beam (when you push the light stalk).

If its Adaptive Xenon, then the inner circle light is for cornering light. Both flashlight and high beam is by the xenon.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #3
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_lph View Post
If you have Xenon headlight, the inner circle is for the Flashlight (when your pull the light stalk). While the xenon, outside circle, will be used for the high beam (when you push the light stalk).

If its Adaptive Xenon, then the inner circle light is for cornering light. Both flashlight and high beam is by the xenon.
dav_lph is indeed correct.

On cars with adaptive xenons, whilst the inner units point forwards, the lens is profiled to direct the light sideways and thus provide the cornering function (and avoids the messiness of a single foglight from coming on as per how many other manufacturers do the cornering function)

I guess that with "normal" xenons, the extra high beam flashers (i.e. the inner units) are added as this will likely feature routine filament bulbs and can thus reach full brightness quickly for when just a flash is needed.

Seems a bit puzzling then that the engineers are happy with the light up times of the outer units for cars with adaptive xenons when a quick flash is needed.

Nonetheless, the adaptive xenons on the F10/F11 are surely amongst the very best headlights on the road at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:57 AM   #4
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

Yup, inner lights turn on when turning, left only going left and right only going right and both light up when you put the car in reverse.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
fat dog
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: iX3 M Sport Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVIMAX View Post
...and both light up when you put the car in reverse.
Interesting, never noticed this before.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
bimmerkrlox
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat dog
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav_lph View Post

dav_lph is indeed correct.

On cars with adaptive xenons, whilst the inner units point forwards, the lens is profiled to direct the light sideways and thus provide the cornering function (and avoids the messiness of a single foglight from coming on as per how many other manufacturers do the cornering function)

I guess that with "normal" xenons, the extra high beam flashers (i.e. the inner units) are added as this will likely feature routine filament bulbs and can thus reach full brightness quickly for when just a flash is needed.

Seems a bit puzzling then that the engineers are happy with the light up times of the outer units for cars with adaptive xenons when a quick flash is needed.

Nonetheless, the adaptive xenons on the F10/F11 are surely amongst the very best headlights on the road at the moment.
Thank you very much guys, I have a better idea of what they are, I will check how they work when arrive home. I have standard xenon, I'm from Mexico!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #7
Bucaro
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

I would prefer the inner circle to work as the flashing lights. On my M3 with adaptive xenons, the flashing function is poor when he headlights are off. It takes too long for them to turn on and they do not deliver an effective flash...
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 04:51 PM   #8
bimmerkrlox
Rep

I have already tried the things everyone said, but I can't see them turned on is there a malfuncion in my car?? I have the standard xenon (not dynamic) and I can't make the inner projector lights turn on.

Thank you guys
Appreciate 0