2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Active Cruise. Yes or No. Experiences??

06-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
LLepard
Rep
Drives: 2010 750 xi

Active Cruise. Yes or No. Experiences??

I have the new 7 Series xi.

I am about to order a 535xi for delivery in the late fall.

I will get just about everything on it, the question is should I get active cruise control.

Can some people who have it comment on how it works, if it is worth it, what the trade offs are etc.

Thanks.

LL
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
Mr. Magic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 E46/330 and 2011 F10/535i

I considered it. Active cruise won't see 2+ cars ahead and won't consider whose behind you and by how far. It won't consider poor visibility around curves or road conditions. Basically, it won't adjust the spacing depending upon other circumstances (aside from distance from car in front) that affect risk. I like to keep a wider spacing buffer if I see potential problems farther ahead or if visibility drops, or if someone it tailgating me. So, in this context, it didn't seem like it would be of value to me since I like to constantly adjust the distance.

-Magic

Last edited by Mr. Magic; 06-15-2010 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLepard View Post
I have the new 7 Series xi.

I am about to order a 535xi for delivery in the late fall.

I will get just about everything on it, the question is should I get active cruise control.

Can some people who have it comment on how it works, if it is worth it, what the trade offs are etc.

Thanks.

LL
I had it in my '07 335i with manual transmission. (I also drive a 2005 Lexus LS430 a lot, and that car has it too.) I *really* like it. I prefer to use the cruise to manage my speed especially on the highway, where our cars REALLY want to go much faster than the local customs here in the US. It was a little weird to shift and have the cruise pick up as soon as you let out the clutch, but you get used to it. I miss it in my M3, and I see that you can't get it in an F10 unless you get an automatic. Not happening for me.

One thing that's interesting is that I found that I paid even more attention to traffic than with conventional cruise. With the auto speed adjustment, if you're not careful, you end up crawling along at the speed of whoever is in front of you...like somebody driving a Lexus LS 430 . The point is that you have to pay attention to the other cars in front of you, or else you're going to be stuck with the slowest car in the pack, unless you change lanes and overtake them.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2010, 02:46 AM   #4
rit
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

I have it in my car and almost never use it. I've probably turned it on only 10 times in almost 4 years. It was an expensive option, so at that rate I've probably paid $200+ per use!

That said, "regular" cruise control would seem almost silly to me now. "What's this? You mean this thing will just let me plow into the guy in front of me?"

Another point: I *think* the newer models have stop and go functionality. The minimum speed for the 2007 335i is around 20mph, I think. I could be mistaken on that, though. Again, I rarely use the feature. Stop and go might be nice in traffic, but the feature (old and new) leaves a pretty good gap between you and the car in front of you, even at the lowest setting. That gap leaves a big opportunity for people to cut in front of you, which happens a lot and slows your car even more. I think you'd have to be a pretty patient driver to enjoy that feature.

335i Sedan | Arctic Metallic | Black Leather / Light Poplar | All Options
Read About My Performance Center Delivery (with Pics)
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #5
ucla1995
Slow and low
Rep
Drives: M5

Active Cruise -- wouldn't buy another car without it. Best option I've ever had.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 05:31 AM   #6
TurboT
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: X4 30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1995 View Post
Active Cruise -- wouldn't buy another car without it. Best option I've ever had.
I fully agree. Wouldn't buy another car without it.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2010, 07:03 AM   #7
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

In general stop and go has gotten fine reviews by users so I ordered it on my 550.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

Given the type of driving I do and the places I do it I'd take a raincheck on active cruise.In addition I'm not certain that I'd trust the technology 100% plus I'd be afraid it would cause me to be less attentive behind the wheel.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #9
LLepard
Rep
Drives: 2010 750 xi

Any more input on active cruise?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
archivedaccount
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Had it on a 330i tourer auto and it is the first option I checked on my 520d order. It was quite simply fantastic IMO, and that was the non stop n go version.

Pros:
keeps your speed constant so your less likely to get a speeding ticket, even downhill
Much more relaxing on an average commute
Safer as it can react to heavy breaking for the vehicle in front so your less likely to rear end car in front if distracted or have a tendency to drive too close
Slows car down round bends - New version uses nav and dsc for bends
Better mpg as it accelerates and brakes more efficiently than the average driver
Better for drivers following you as braking/acceleration is more conservative. If all cars had acc not only would driving be a lot safer and more economical, traffic would also flow more freely when heavy.. less of the 'butterfly effect' with one driver nipping in and braking causing the one behind to brake and so on, until at the end of the queue the cars end up stationary

Cons:
My version didn't too well with cars turning off on a single carriageway. Normally you would estimate the amount of braking required knowing that the car in front is only decelerating to turn left/right. Acc doesn't know this so overcompensates and then there is a lag once the car has turned, before cruise sets off again. I'm hoping the new acc using nav will address this issue like on the Audi a8
Doesn't detect stationary objects so you always have to be aware that cars waiting at red lights etc that aren't tracked won't be detected
Some drivers might become complacent and depend on it a little too much -The driver should remain in control at all times
The minimum distance setting is a 'safe' distance from the car in-front. That means inconsiderate drivers can undertake (illegal in the UK) and push you back which can be frustrating. However, in reality while it may be annoying you're probably going to live longer by keeping a safe distance.

Last edited by archivedaccount; 08-17-2010 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
SDRX
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 540i M Sport 2018

I have selected this option for my new F10 currently on order.

I am looking forward to using ACC but I suspect it is best suited to quieter motorways used by competent and considerate drivers. As a frequent traveller on the M25 and M40, I can confirm that both attributes are severely lacking and therefore driver intervention will be needed often if ACC is inappropriately used.

I'm a self confessed gadget freak and noting the integration of ACC with the Head Up Display, I could not resist. Although, I have to concede and the dealer agreed, both a very rare options in the UK.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: Space gray, M Beige F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesrest View Post
Cons:
My version didn't too well with cars turning off on a single carriageway. Normally you would estimate the amount of braking required knowing that the car in front is only decelerating to turn left/right. Acc doesn't know this so overcompensates and then there is a lag once the car has turned, before cruise sets off again. I'm hoping the new acc using nav will address this issue like on the Audi a8.
I can confirm that this is still a problem, but it might be needed anyway, because it is slightly risky to predict that the car will dissappear fully before you reach it...

I do the same thing as I do in roundabouts, touch the gas pedal gently to keep the speed, and that does not deactivate the ACC.

I will never buy a car without it again. Had it for 3,5 years now.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 03:09 AM   #13
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I have it on a 330d; the version in the 5-series is superior as it will work in stop-start traffic and bring the car to a complete stop whereas the 3-series version disconnects with an audible warning at about 16mph.

I like it; the pros and cons are covered well above. It can reduce your mental workload on long drives so you arrive less tired.

It is not autopilot though, in particular it only sees one vehicle in front. If you have a queue of cars doing a panic stop but the car immediately in front of you doesn't do anything (and ultimately rear-ends the car in front of it), then ACC won't do anything to help you.

It does not react to stationary traffic; if you go from open road to line of stopped cars, you will need to intervene.

I can sometimes lose the car in front on sharp turns.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 08:13 PM   #14
nicolak
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 F350 17 i3 REx

To add my experience, had a 2008 335 with this option. On the motorway had the vehicle in front exit, the motorway had a slight bend to the left. As I approach the bend it picked up on the exiting vehicle which at this point was at approximately 40mph. Many curse words later and thankfully no one behind I shrugged it off.

Other bad example was a cyclist on a rural highway. Posted speed was 55 which I was set at. Again, system picked up the cyclist which according to the manual should not have. None the less another abrupt standing on the brakes, not a good moment.

Not sure if it is implemented on newer models but a feature to choose between conventional and active cruise would be a requirement before I add this option again. Not implying this was an entirely bad option because it did have its usefulness but always left me a bit on edge.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #15
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

I find if you have a 2 wheeled vehicle in front of you eg a motorbike it is best to just turn the cruise control off and use manual driving. Sometimes it will respond to the bike, sometimes it won't but I'm not planning on risking rear-ending a bike just so I can use cruise control.

This is an easy to miss and potentially dangerous problem - if there is a car IN FRONT of the bike, the cruise control can be responding to the car and not the bike, but you think it is responding to the bike because it is maintaining distance to the vehicles in front. If the car ahead takes off and accelerates, you could accelerate into the bike immediately in front.

I've also sometimes wished to be able to switch between active and conventional cruise - but again I think it may be dangerous to forget you have this feature and which mode of cruise is being used. You risk thinking active cruise is on when conventional cruise is on.... and rear-end the car in front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolak View Post
To add my experience, had a 2008 335 with this option. On the motorway had the vehicle in front exit, the motorway had a slight bend to the left. As I approach the bend it picked up on the exiting vehicle which at this point was at approximately 40mph. Many curse words later and thankfully no one behind I shrugged it off.

Other bad example was a cyclist on a rural highway. Posted speed was 55 which I was set at. Again, system picked up the cyclist which according to the manual should not have. None the less another abrupt standing on the brakes, not a good moment.

Not sure if it is implemented on newer models but a feature to choose between conventional and active cruise would be a requirement before I add this option again. Not implying this was an entirely bad option because it did have its usefulness but always left me a bit on edge.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
flipside99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: iX M60

I have it in my 2011 X6.

I'll never buy another car without it. The stop & go feature is amazing in traffic.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 06:56 AM   #17
nicolak
Private
Rep
Drives: 17 F350 17 i3 REx

I should clarify cyclist. My definition is describing a bicyclist on the shoulder of the road traveling approximately 10-15mph.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #18
chubby1
Rep
Drives: 550ix

I have it on a 750i and have ordered a 55oix with it. So...had it, loved it, and ordered it again.
Appreciate 0