2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs First Dark Colored Car-DGM-Need Advice

12-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #1
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

First Dark Colored Car-DGM-Need Advice

I have historically always purchased light colored cars. White and Silver mainly..this is my first dark colored car.

Wax wise I have always used Meguiars Ultimate Polish with P21S Concourse Wax with great results on the light cars.. anyone have any other suggestions for a new wax setup or am I good to go?

My car is garaged and never sees a day of rain so I'm not too worried about the durability of the wax.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Mbbrewer
Captain
Rep
Drives: 550i

I really like Chemical Guys Blacklight topped with Chemical Guys V7 on my Imperial Blue.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 08:08 AM   #3
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
OP - I think surface preparation and product quality are likely the best ways to get a great shine & glow out of many brands. Right now I'm really liking the line of Wolfgang products. Their claim is that their sealant is durable (as you'd expect) and the shine is similar to carnauba wax (which I find is true). I started using an orbital polisher a couple of years ago, and this has improved my car's finish to the point where I'm certain it's better than when it was new.

I've also used P21s (wax) and Zaino Brothers (sealant) in the past and liked them both, but right now I'm preferring the Wolfgang sealant because it seems to combine the best features of both. Just two months ago, I applied a couple of coats of Wolfgang's Fusion wax on top of a fresh sealant coat, and the depth of shine was truly amazing.

I'm jealous that you have the luxury of only using your car when it's sunny. Mine currently has road salt and muck on it. For reference, my car is carbon black.

Cheers!

Last edited by cdmulders; 12-06-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #4
Simple5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmulders View Post
OP - I think surface preparation and product quality are likely the best ways to get a great shine & glow out of many brands. Right now I'm really liking the line of Wolfgang products. Their claim is that their sealant is durable (as you'd expect) and the shine is similar to carnauba wax (which I find is true). I started using an orbital polisher a couple of years ago, and this has improved my car's finish to the point where I'm certain it's better than when it was new.

I've also used P21s (wax) and Zaino Brothers (sealant) in the past and liked them both, but right now I'm preferring the Wolfgang sealant because it seems to combine the best features of both. Just two months ago, I applied a couple of coats of Wolfgang's Fusion wax on top of a fresh sealant coat, and the depth of shine was truly amazing.

I'm jealous that you have the luxury of only using your car when it's sunny. Mine currently has road salt and muck on it. For reference, my car is carbon black.

Cheers!
Thanks for the tips! One thing I never learned how to do was use the machine method to polish/wax a car. It's always been by hand. I'm thinking of just knuckling up and but a porter cable kit from one of the detail sites.

Yea she only comes out in dry weather. Bad weather I have a e36 m3 to toss around. I would get in trouble with the amount of torque on the 550i. I certainly did with my tuned n54 335i!
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
cdmulders
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple3 View Post
I'm thinking of just knuckling up and but a porter cable kit from one of the detail sites.
I have the Porter Cable 7424XP polisher with three foam pads (orange, white, black). This combo works very well, and because the polisher is orbital, it's nearly (so I'm told) impossible to damage your paint. I've had no problems, and last spring did very mild paint correction with a diminishing abrasive polish (Wolfgang finishing glaze) and the white foam pad. I removed the fine spider-web swirl marks I had gathered after nearly two years of hand washing. Sealant went on top after that, and my car glowed. Oh yeah - don't forget to use a clay bar before you start polishing.
Appreciate 0