2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes F10 Brakes/Rotors

03-01-2014, 07:48 PM   #1
gragi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDr F10 M Sport

F10 Brakes/Rotors

Anyone knows the difference between Drilled-Rotors, Drilled-Slotted-Rotors, and Slotted-Rotors as in better braking, durability, noise, performance etc. Would the drilled-slotted rotors be an overkill for our 535s?
2011 535xDrive F10 AFE CATBACK, AFE SCORCHER, AFE Performance Air Filter, H&R, AR Down Pipe, ER Charge Pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Yes it would be overkill for a car you aren't tracking! Remember, drilled/slotted rotors are racing components, and racers change brakes at higher intervals than someone who isn't doing a significant amount of performance driving.

Liquids from rain and the gases produced from heavy braking can cause brake fade. Fading is the delay of your brake pad making contact to the rotor surface! The slots and drills dissipate gas and liquids from the rotor surface allowing pads to quickly bite! Utilizing a brake pad compound with a higher temperature threshold can also eliminate or limit brake fade!

I mentioned that racers change brake components frequently. Cross drilled rotors over time can develop small cracks that can cause uneven pad wear and rotor scoring. If you're having braking problems I normally would recommend just using a slotted rotor. The slots are designed to also keep the rotor surface clear, but it also forces pads to wear evenly during hard braking!

If you want to improve braking performance, start off by using a better brake pad! BMW uses pads from Pagid and Jurid as OE. There's plenty of vendors who have aggressive pad compounds that provide better bite and significantly less brake dust.

Don't waste your $$$ on these items unless you're experiencing braking problems. The stock BMW brakes are pretty good! Just switch pads.. If you need some recommendations, let me know.

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami
      03-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
gragi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i xDr F10 M Sport

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I know I am due to change pads in about 1000 miles however I was told to change both pads and rotors even though I have no complains. Was told that if I go ahead and do pads only I would get noise. What's your opinion? What brand pads would you recommend that are better then stock? I am interested if possible to go with a m5 brake set up instead. Is it doable? Do you need to change carrier, calipers etc? How much? And your opinion? Thanks in advance
Gent
2011 535xDrive F10 AFE CATBACK, AFE SCORCHER, AFE Performance Air Filter, H&R, AR Down Pipe, ER Charge Pipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

Switch your pads and rotors at the same time! New pads on used rotors can wear unevenly and your brakes will squeal due to vibration.

Akebono, PBR/Axxis, Centric, and Textar pads are great low dusting pads with excellent bite! Pair that with a set of OE BMW, Brembo, or Zimmerman rotors and you're all set. Also, don't forget to get replacement brake sensor wires!

There's a thread in this forum detailing members who upgraded to M5 brakes. From what I've read you'll need to run at least 19" wheels for the brake setup to work. Also for the cost, you may want to upgrade to Brembo or Stoptech brakes for better performance!

Good luck, and check vendors like Zeckhausen, MJMAutohaus, Bavarian Auto Parts, German Auto Parts, and RockAuto for pads, rotors, and sensor wires.
      03-06-2014, 05:54 PM   #5
613Bimmer
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: One car with good steering ;)

Garage List
Unless you are very bent on driving the car agressivly all the time, pads and rotors should be good for you. The brands mentioned above are very good and will definitely wear well and will be very durable. I would also consider getting Carbon pads due to their lack of fade, etc. I just had some installed at my dealership as a "compensation" for some issues I've had with the car and for being loyal to the brand (9th BMW). They improve performance and pedal feel pretty well.

Good luck OP!

-F10Enthusiast
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 08:36 PM   #6
dadysev
Captain
Montenegro
Rep
Drives: Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGr8Swami View Post
Yes it would be overkill for a car you aren't tracking! Remember, drilled/slotted rotors are racing components, and racers change brakes at higher intervals than someone who isn't doing a significant amount of performance driving.

Liquids from rain and the gases produced from heavy braking can cause brake fade. Fading is the delay of your brake pad making contact to the rotor surface! The slots and drills dissipate gas and liquids from the rotor surface allowing pads to quickly bite! Utilizing a brake pad compound with a higher temperature threshold can also eliminate or limit brake fade!

I mentioned that racers change brake components frequently. Cross drilled rotors over time can develop small cracks that can cause uneven pad wear and rotor scoring. If you're having braking problems I normally would recommend just using a slotted rotor. The slots are designed to also keep the rotor surface clear, but it also forces pads to wear evenly during hard braking!

If you want to improve braking performance, start off by using a better brake pad! BMW uses pads from Pagid and Jurid as OE. There's plenty of vendors who have aggressive pad compounds that provide better bite and significantly less brake dust.

Don't waste your $$$ on these items unless you're experiencing braking problems. The stock BMW brakes are pretty good! Just switch pads.. If you need some recommendations, let me know.

Good luck,

Will aka The Swami
Absolutely correct! Couldn't have said it better myself. No track - don't touch the OEM setup. Its just a money pit, and you will lose your cold bite! ( my favorite!)
Appreciate 0