2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK My grumbles about F10 steering weight and feel....

04-01-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

My grumbles about F10 steering weight and feel....

.... may have been largely due to tracking and alignment issues.

Car only has about 10k miles on it. Never hit anything hard with the wheels. Took it in for new tyres, am experimenting with some Uniroyal Rainsport 3's to replace Michelin Primacy 3's. Both non-rft. Thoughts on that another time.

Anyway, they offered a free check on alignment and tracking. Hunter 4 wheel setup. Every measurement flashes up red on the screen. They adjust everything carefully to BMW factory specs.

Steering feel is definitely better. In particular:
- less effort required to turn wheel at any speed, but particularly at high speed;
- effort required is more consistent and predictable;
- steering unwinds itself more naturally as you put down the power out of roundabouts and junctions.

Primacy 3's are a great tyre so I think the steering improvement is down to the tracking and alignment being fixed.

One or more of the new tyres isn't quite balanced so I'll wait till that's sorted before saying anything about how they compare with the Michelins.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 03:52 PM   #2
The Beast
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW Transporter Sportline

Hold on you're changing tyres at 10k! What you been doing to the car, I thought I was heavy on mine but that must be a record!!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2017, 03:56 PM   #3
morellomax
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M440i xDrive convertible

Rears were down to 3mm, plenty of life left in the fronts, swapped all 4 and kept the old fronts as spares for now. Trying a different tyre as an experiment in road noise and ride.

(and I suspect the massive toe errors at the rear didn't help with the tyre wear....)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
Sp123
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10

Hi max

I've just had my wheel alignment done and it's mega important for tyre wear on any car but especially in these big 5ers.

A mis-alignment will play Havoc on the rolling geometry of the car and the outcome is on fuel consumption and tyres wear massively!

The cars hits pot holes and take it on its stride as the cars rock solid but it throws out the toe massively! I'm going to keep on top of mine now and tyres pressure as well!
F10 M Sport, Alpine White, Professional Navigation, Reverse Camera, Power Bootlid, Sports Paddle-Shift Gearbox, Sun Protection Pack, Xenon Headlights, High-Gloss Black Shadow Line, 351M Sport Wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion. Model Designation Deletion. Black Dakota Leather. Winter Tyres.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #5
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Do you need wheel alignment on a new car?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2017, 03:06 AM   #6
Pottsy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaikram View Post
Do you need wheel alignment on a new car?
Yes, if you are fussy (like me). But do it after 1,000 miles, which is enough time to allow the suspension to settle down.

Also, get a place with a decent operator, not just a decent machine.
Appreciate 0