2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications anual oil service???

10-28-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
JimmyD
Jimmy D. 2011 F-10 550i Sport, Black Sapphire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F-10 550i

Garage List
2011 BMW 550i  [0.00]
anual oil service???

Went in for my 1 year service last month at 10,000 miles, they said they changed the oil, when I left at start up on the car it read service due in 1000 miles, I thought maybe they just didnt reset the sensor, this week it got down to 100 miles to service, so when I was at the dealer I asked the service manager what that meant, he said that was a second service due....? So I made an appointment, brought it in, they read my key and it said it was due for an oil change, so they changed the oil again, even though I told them they just done it 1000 miles ago...now when I start the car, it reads service due in 3200 miles, are they going to change my oil every 3,000 miles??? Even though the manual only calls for every 15,000 miles or every 12 months...My other question is, how do I know the dealer really changes the oil and filter, I cant just pull a dipstick out and see if its new oil, the whole bottom is covered so I cant see and oil filter, one of my friends once said this dealership never seemed to change his oil filter a while back on an old 645i, he had marked his filter to prove it, it would be nice to know if my oil was really being changed.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
T-Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M Sport

My other question is, how do I know the dealer really changes the oil and filter, I cant just pull a dipstick out and see if its new oil, the whole bottom is covered so I cant see and oil filter, one of my friends once said this dealership never seemed to change his oil filter a while back on an old 645i, he had marked his filter to prove it, it would be nice to know if my oil was really being changed.

This is very true. Make sure you find a great dealership. What I mean is great mechanics, who cares how nice the actual dealership is or what area it is located. Also wouldn't recommend bringing it in on a Saturday for service, as they are lazy and don’t want to be there either. So far my first BMW service was great as they did everything they claimed to do. If you really want to be sure mark your stuff or part with a permanent marker. Caught the Audi dealership on my chick’s car three times in a row not performing service when they said they did. It's sad that you need to do things like mark parts, but its the only way to truly know and prove it when you catch them not doing the job as promised.
Appreciate 0