2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Spare tire

07-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #1
jasonle89
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 528i

Spare tire

I saw some post from other members here regarding getting a spare tire after switching to non run flat. I'm in the same situation here but wondering what you guys think of those cans that you can buy at any auto parts store that can fix a flat tire? Would that work? Is it more convenience than getting a real spare tire? and cheaper too
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 10:23 PM   #2
Gpfarrell
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 6MT Imperial Blue 550i M-sport

It might.

Frankly, a $20 plugs-into-the-lighter air compressor is probably better. Any tire that has a leak small enough for a can to fix it could simply be inflated without the risk of making the TPMS sensors mad. You might have to put air in every hour, but you're moving.

However, if you have a blowout at speed or really tear up a tire in a pothole, you'll need a spare or a rollback.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 11:07 PM   #3
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 535i MSport

This Conti Comfort Kit is what a lot of people use. Several car manufacturers include this kit with their cars that don't have spare tires.
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=38
More info:
http://www.continentaltire.ca/www/do...ort_pdf_en.pdf

This one is basically the same but half the cost. Consumerreports said it's basically the same as the conti kit but took slightly longer to fill the tire.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...9NY511YSB75Z6N
A bonus of these kits is that you get a compressor to keep your tires or other inflatable items around the house inflated properly.
BMW has their mobility kit but it's around $130.
Some sealants are safe for use with TPMS, others are not so that's something to watch out for.

The cans work too but aren't as easy to use and there's a slight risk of the pressurized can exploding in a really hot trunk. CR testing also showed the cans don't do well sealing large nail holes, but are ok for smaller holes.

Last edited by SonicEndeavor; 07-10-2015 at 12:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #4
jasonle89
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you so much. I definitely will getting these to replace the need for spare tire. So much more convenience to carry these than a tire. But is it a one tme use or re-useable?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F10 M5 CP 600 hp

Sealant-based solutions like spays or comfort kits are OK (easy to use and cheap) but have some cons.
Let me explain.

1. After applying the spray or kit, you have to drive to a tire service anyway. There you pay for a regular wheel repair/balancing and also for washing the whole tire, rim and TPMS off that sticky shit that the sealants always turns into.
2. If your wheel is big (say, a fancy 20-21" of 285-295). The sprays have indication like "tire width up to... " so one spray may not be enough. You need to watch, is the spray fresh or not, it might be old (also the kit).
3. Besides damaging a rubber tire, a pothole can damage your rim, here any glues and kits don't work at all.
4. For both spray and comfort kit - you never know how big is the puncture. You may face a big sidewall hole, so what's next? Good if you have been driven by LA area, not the Nevada State Highway 50.

Conclusion: use whatever makes you feeling safe )) But going to long distance, better borrow the OEM space saver from another smart BMW buddy)

Name:  37d9b2s-480.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  224.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #6
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonle89 View Post
Thank you so much. I definitely will getting these to replace the need for spare tire. So much more convenience to carry these than a tire. But is it a one tme use or re-useable?
You have to buy a new sealant container after each use, but not an entire kit.
These kits are not without their downsides, but they're faster and safer than changing a tire on the shoulder. For a catastrophic failure, just call roadside assistance (AAA, tire company,BMW or whatever you have).
The solution somewhat depends on where you live. In areas prone to freeze/thaw cycles, catastrophic failures are more likely. Here in So. Cal, large potholes aren't common, and in my experience (knock on wood), flat tires are rare, so it's just insurance against the occasional puncture where you can't limp home.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #7
jasonle89
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by valbmw View Post
Sealant-based solutions like spays or comfort kits are OK (easy to use and cheap) but have some cons.
Let me explain.

1. After applying the spray or kit, you have to drive to a tire service anyway. There you pay for a regular wheel repair/balancing and also for washing the whole tire, rim and TPMS off that sticky shit that the sealants always turns into.
2. If your wheel is big (say, a fancy 20-21" of 285-295). The sprays have indication like "tire width up to... " so one spray may not be enough. You need to watch, is the spray fresh or not, it might be old (also the kit).
3. Besides damaging a rubber tire, a pothole can damage your rim, here any glues and kits don't work at all.
4. For both spray and comfort kit - you never know how big is the puncture. You may face a big sidewall hole, so what's next? Good if you have been driven by LA area, not the Nevada State Highway 50.

Conclusion: use whatever makes you feeling safe )) But going to long distance, better borrow the OEM space saver from another smart BMW buddy)

Attachment 1242068
Your points does make sense. Those photos you included, is that the whole spare tire kit that they sell or you have to get it separately? If it is a complete kit, do I have a link?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 02:18 PM   #8
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Your points does make sense. Those photos you included, is that the whole spare tire kit that they sell or you have to get it separately? If it is a complete kit, do I have a link?
The whole package is available from a dealer e.g. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=36_1449 The wheel itself can be like 17" 18" 19" rim to provide necessary brake clearance. I have the 19" for 535-550 because of big brakes.

Video: http://www.bimmerzone.com/BMW_Perfor...T-F10-KIT.html

Another members are right about the kits when talking about commuting nearby. We all have cellphones and credit cards (hope so). But if driving 300 miles away on Friday night it is better to have the compact spare.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 04:16 PM   #9
jasonle89
Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you. Even though I changed my wheel to 20", but oem was 17", I guess I still can just get a spare at 17" right?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. Even though I changed my wheel to 20", but oem was 17", I guess I still can just get a spare at 17" right?
I believe yes, since we are dealing with the BMW OEM parts. If you don't plan to upgrade the brakes, the 17" will fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2015, 08:59 PM   #11
SonicEndeavor
Lieutenant
Rep

Just one other point. You don't have to use the slime with the kits. I also carry a simple tire repair kit so you can just pull the object out of the tire, plug the tire, then use the pump to re-inflate the tire and you're on your way. Plugs aren't supposed a permanent fix, but they'll easily last several thousand miles until you can get the tire to a repair shop.
I'll do anything to avoid carrying a spare tire in that already fairly small trunk for insurance against something that happens once ever ten years.
http://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-A-T...2WP01B1GQJ9XY4
      07-11-2015, 02:07 AM   #12
valbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Good to see everyones has his own proper solution
The ideal solution for all doesn't probably exist. But hopefully everyone is able to comfort himself, depending on driving conditions, personal preferences, shortage of trunk space and level of paranoia.
Brave people don't even spend on insurance because everything's gonna be alright

Appreciate 0