2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Scuffed up bumper while parked. Where can I buy an OEM painted one?

06-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Nolonyc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i RWD Alpine White

Scuffed up bumper while parked. Where can I buy an OEM painted one?

I recently had my rear bumper scuffed up pretty bad while eating at a local diner. The good news is that my bumper (the plastic) took all of the damage. The lady that did the damage came back to the scene afterwards and we exchanged information. Her insurance is going to pay for the damages. A couple of years ago I've had something similar happen on a different car. I was never fully satisfied with the auto body results. The paint started to peel and there was some minor over spray. I don't want to have the bumper repaired, I rather have a new bumper installed. Has anyone had success getting their dealership to order one painted already from BMW? Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Name:  rsz_120140628_132239.jpg
Views: 765
Size:  102.0 KB
nolo

2014 Alpine White F10 LCI 535i M-Sport [ZMM, LCLZ, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZPP, 2TB, 456, 5DL 688]
Coded to unlock all the goodies
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

No, and you wouldn't want one. There are always slight variations in production and I think a good body shop is able to provide a better match than the factory which is producing white bumpers for cars today while your bumper came from a production run a year ago or more.
      06-30-2014, 10:15 AM   #3
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Just find a good body shop. I've used shops that were part of the CarStar network in the past with great success. They have a very strong warranty on their paint jobs - no peeling, etc. They also should get an exact color code from BMW on the paint, so matching it shouldn't be a problem.

Since her insurance is paying anyway, and NY state law allows you to go wherever you'd like to get your car repaired, you can alternatively just look for a high-end shop that paints exotics... you're bound to find quality service.

Sorry to hear about the accident there - always a pain to deal with these things. Best of luck with it!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
No, and you wouldn't want one. There are always slight variations in production and I think a good body shop is able to provide a better match than the factory which is producing white bumpers for cars today while your bumper came from a production run a year ago or more.
Completely correct.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
Nolonyc
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i RWD Alpine White

Thanks for the feedback guys. I just got home from the body shop. I took it to the dealership where I purchased the car and they recommended the body shop I ended up going to. I saw they had a lot of high valued wrecked cars on their parking lot. I guess they must be doing something right. The owner of the shop told me that it's actually better to repair the portion of the bumper than getting it replaced. He's the professional so I agreed with him. He explained that if I get a new bumper and have it painted it will never be as good as a factory painted bumper. According to him the robots paint at such a high temperature that the paint bonds to the bumper much better than any paint shop can ever replicate.

I'm worried that there might be a chance that this will show up on a car fax in the future and depreciate the car's value. I'm the type of car owner that parks far away to prevent door dings. It's funny no matter how much I try to prevent this, it still happened. All I can do now is laugh it off. Hopefully it will look good as new when I get it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5SICKNESS View Post
Now is your chance to do m sport bumpers if you dont have it
It is a LCI M Sport.

2014 Alpine White F10 LCI 535i M-Sport [ZMM, LCLZ, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZPP, 2TB, 456, 5DL 688]
Coded to unlock all the goodies
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 01:13 PM   #6
didithepest
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 550IX

Garage List
2011 BMW E93  [0.00]
Damn,
I would of been Pist -

I agree, It better to just paint the part that was damage than to repaint the whole bumper - All the Bmw Dealership in our local area ( NYC ) Normally deal with Gabriels in yonkers. They have worked on several of my car and are always on Point . While you at it - get your reflectors painted - I am also local to you
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 02:52 PM   #7
geminiys
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013, 535XI & 2005 M3

You have to paint the entire bumper cover, otherwise the color won't match correctly. Insurances don't pay for matching the color, as it does take time regardless of car's color. I have a friend who owns a body shop and I have learned a few tricks that many don't know and after the job is done, is too late.
If only portion is painted under different light angles one can see color mismatch. In the situation like yours, the body shop will paint the bumper cover till it's corner bend. That way it is hard to catch color mismatches. Insurances love that, as job is decreased by 3 or 4x in time and money. In inexpensive body shops they even save money by not removing the bumper cover off the car and paint on top by masking unaffected area. This job is easy to spot as you can fill scarfs on edges.
If I were you, I would look for independent body shop that is not recommended by insurance agencies and has good reviews from other customers. Any body shop that are recommended by insurances agencies have fixed price established for particular work. Thus, cutting corners is required to make some profit.
2018, Q5, 100 miles
2005, XC70 AWD, 160k miles
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #8
AVIMAX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: last BMW was 2014 535xd

I had some damage to my rear bumper on my last car and had it repaired at a certified BMW collision centre. Since my car is leased, I figured that as long as I used their body shop, they can not charge me for mismatched paint when I return the car. The certified shop did an outstanding job, my car was cashmere silver and you could not tell it was repaired, paint was a 100% match. I don't know if all BMW certified shops are as good, if they have to meet some standard to be certified, but based on that experience, for any damage I will just take my car to them and let them decide what to do.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #9
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Now why would it be better to repair the bumper than replace it? The only answer is that the shop makes more money on the repair labour. If you can get a new bumper, get one and have the shop paint it off the car. That is the correct way to repair your damage.
      07-01-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
geminiys
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013, 535XI & 2005 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
Now why would it be better to repair the bumper than replace it? The only answer is that the shop makes more money on the repair labour. If you can get a new bumper, get one and have the shop paint it off the car. That is the correct way to repair your damage.
I agree.
Make sure the bumper cover is genuine BMW and not a cheap aftermarket or poorly refurbished one that a lot of body shops use to match insurance price paid for it.
2018, Q5, 100 miles
2005, XC70 AWD, 160k miles
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 10:08 PM   #11
dpouncey
DINAN free flow/BMS stage 2/ STIR PLUS- AL Priorit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 550I m sport

Better to replace, not repair. I am a ASE certified paint tech and do this everyday. The body shop wants to repair to make more money on labor. Even if the the repaired part gets base (color) the whole bumper gets cleared. As far as quality, make sure you get OEM. Make sure they offer you a life time warranty, any reputable shop will offer this because the best paint manufactures offer it. Also make sure the shop has a color camera, this way the color will match perfect.
Appreciate 0