2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Battery Reprogramming

04-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Battery Reprogramming

What's involved and how is it done? I don't get this "re-programming". My computer knows instantly what it is that I've just attached to it, why can't my car do the same? BMW keeps adding owner costs by designing flawed systems that get better fuel consumption but end up costing us more in the end. Who ever heard of having to drive long distances to prevent your battery from dying prematurely?

I have my two "ultimate driving machines" attached to chargers when I'm not driving them because I'm paranoid about my batteries dying and having to take the cars to the dealer for replacing and "reprogramming". Is there any way I can bypass the dealer and do this myself when the time comes?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
chinese_food
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 528

Its called the Ultimate DRIVING Machine. If its not driven, its not ultimate. So when its in your garage for weeks, the battery is going to drain.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinese_food View Post
Its called the Ultimate DRIVING Machine. If its not driven, its not ultimate. So when its in your garage for weeks, the battery is going to drain.
The sad part is that it doesn't have to sit in your garage for weeks or even days. All you need to do is drive it short distances around town for a not so extended period of time for the battery to lose its charge little by little until it fails.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #4
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
The sad part is that it doesn't have to sit in your garage for weeks or even days. All you need to do is drive it short distances around town for a not so extended period of time for the battery to lose its charge little by little until it fails.
yeah search the forum, there are a bunch of DIY, although not sure about F10. Basically you hook car up to auxiliary power source so it doesn't erase all your settings, then you replace with a similar battery or same battery:
OEM is
Deka Battery - East Penn Manufacturing. - AGM 90AH 900A
or
Exide - AGM 92AH

Install the battery, then take it to an indie or dealer and have it registered. The end.
      04-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
eskdale
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 520d M Sport Touring F11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post

Install the battery, then take it to an indie or dealer and have it registered. The end.
But why if you are replacing like for like do you have to have it registered?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatoman39 View Post
yeah search the forum, there are a bunch of DIY, although not sure about F10. Basically you hook car up to auxiliary power source so it doesn't erase all your settings, then you replace with a similar battery or same battery:
OEM is
Deka Battery - East Penn Manufacturing. - AGM 90AH 900A
or
Exide - AGM 92AH

I got the procedure and thanks for the part numbers but what's involved in "registering" the battery? Does this have anything to do with informing the car software of the change or is it like the form you fill out and send in to the battery manufacturer so your warranty is valid?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
gatoman39
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335 M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HOT BMR View Post
I got the procedure and thanks for the part numbers but what's involved in "registering" the battery? Does this have anything to do with informing the car software of the change or is it like the form you fill out and send in to the battery manufacturer so your warranty is valid?
It's BMW's way or over engineering everything and making something simple (like going to Costco to buy a battery) into a process. The computer will tell the alternator to charge the battery at a certain level. The older the car is the older it assumes the battery is. If you put a new battery into a 5 year old car, the alternator will overcharge and fry the new battery. "Registering" the battery tells the computer, hey, new battery chillax on the charging.
      04-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Asiann
Got Seoul?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i MSport

Garage List
2012 BMW 535i  [0.00]
2008 750Li  [0.00]
2006 BMW  [0.00]
Ditto what gatoman stated. not registering it will cost you and then you will have to buy another battery. Just take it to the dealer and pay to have it registered.
      04-28-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

You should have the new battery registered, even if the same amperage is fitted.
The charging system and Intelligent battery sensor changes its setting according to how old the battery is and if you fit a new one while the car thinks you have a old one you can get many electronic glitches.

If you change the amperage the system has to be told it has been changed.

Only way is the dealer or finding someone with the up to date BMW service software.
The commercially available software does not seem to yet have the F10.