2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications Dinan SUCKS

09-19-2013, 01:13 PM   #45
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i 2011 F90 2020 COMP

Dinan Is My Bitch!
      09-19-2013, 01:19 PM   #46
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Frozen Grey M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextremo View Post
Are you stacking the piggyback on top of the Dinan flash?
yes I am....The car is amazingly faster. Going to take off the BMS, install the P3 boost gauge, take it to the dealer for correct Dinan tune install.

Car will hopefully be even faster but I have no faith in Dinan as I think the tune is already installed and it just isnt such a great tune. I donno though, we will see.

Furthermore, if Dinan tune was installed and I stacked the BMS, wouldnt the engine be blown already????? This proves that I was only boosting at stock levels because let me tell you that the car is moving ass with the BMS tune.

Last edited by dmetuning; 10-17-2013 at 02:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 01:20 PM   #47
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badblack550xi View Post
Dinan Is My Bitch!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #48
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by middly View Post
yes I am....The car is amazingly faster. Going to take off the BMS, install the P3 boost gauge, take it to the dealer for correct Dinan tune install, get it back and re-install the BMS.

Car will hopefully be even faster but I have no faith in Dinan as I think the tune is already installed, its just not such a great tune. I donno though, we will see.

Furthermore, if Dinan tune was installed and I stacked the BMS, wouldnt the engine be blown already????? This proves that I was only boosting at stock levels because let me tell you that the car is moving ass with the BMS tune.
You are a braver man that I am - did you at least consult BMS before doing this?

I believe the tech gets an acknowledgement that the software is installed, but once installed it doesn't seem to be hitting the boost target for some reason. I would think that this situation is still different than running the stock maps, as they are changing more than the boost tables.

I don't think anyone has blown an N63 from tuning so there's no way to know if stacking would blow the engine, or how much boost is too much. Damage to the engine can happen over time, it doesn't have to be all at once. You should really be logging things like boost (with a mechanical gauge now that you have a piggyback), timing, afr, etc. to know if your engine is ok with the setup.

The thing that would worry me is that BMS are requiring 100oct to run their aggressive tune, which I believe is only ~2psi higher than their base tune. This makes you wonder how much room there is to add boost without changing other parameters in turn (which I don't think BMS does) before you risk damage.

If stacking does work for you, and there is data logging to support that it's not causing damage, I bet this would become a very popular option.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #49
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
You are a braver man that I am - did you at least consult BMS before doing this?

I believe the tech gets an acknowledgement that the software is installed, but once installed it doesn't seem to be hitting the boost target for some reason. I would think that this situation is still different than running the stock maps, as they are changing more than the boost tables.

I don't think anyone has blown an N63 from tuning so there's no way to know if stacking would blow the engine, or how much boost is too much. Damage to the engine can happen over time, it doesn't have to be all at once. You should really be logging things like boost (with a mechanical gauge now that you have a piggyback), timing, afr, etc. to know if your engine is ok with the setup.

The thing that would worry me is that BMS are requiring 100oct to run their aggressive tune, which I believe is only ~2psi higher than their base tune. This makes you wonder how much room there is to add boost without changing other parameters in turn (which I don't think BMS does) before you risk damage.

If stacking does work for you, and there is data logging to support that it's not causing damage, I bet this would become a very popular option.
I agree with consulting BMS before doing this. I know BMS had a special JB+ designed for people who had Dinan on the N54 cars. I guess the Dinan guys were tired of getting their asses handed to them by the likes of JB3/4 and PROcede.

The aggressive map is more than +2 psi, I believe it is more like +4 or +5
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #50
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
I agree with consulting BMS before doing this. I know BMS had a special JB+ designed for people who had Dinan on the N54 cars. I guess the Dinan guys were tired of getting their asses handed to them by the likes of JB3/4 and PROcede.

The aggressive map is more than +2 psi, I believe it is more like +4 or +5
he means it's 2 psi over the stock BMS not stock car it's actually 1.75 higher i tried 4.25 cars seems to slow down by .1 .2
      09-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #51
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:
he means it's 2 psi over the stock BMS not stock car it's actually 1.75 higher i tried 4.25 cars seems to slow down by .1 .2
You may need dp's in order to go 4.25. Then the car should run a little better.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #52
alextremo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

Quote:
Your car is probably pulling timing due to knock at that boost level - looks like you found the sweet spot for this tune on your car...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:41 PM   #53
F01Boost
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 750i Msport tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
You may need dp's in order to go 4.25. Then the car should run a little better.

BB get some DP's
2012 750i M Sport JB TUNED- Current
2010 135 vert JB Tuned - retired
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 03:43 PM   #54
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Your car is probably pulling timing due to knock at that boost level - looks like you found the sweet spot for this tune on your car...
yeah i thin between 3.0-4.0 is the sweet spot anything above it pulls timing.
      09-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #55
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I ordered the BMS logging cable and a p3 boost/temp/etc gauge and I can report back my findings in the next few weeks once I have installed it all and have some credible results.

I asked BMS if I needed to make any adjustments to their tune through the logging/programming cable that I ordered based on having an exhaust and air intake and they told me that their tune is adaptive as is the stock mapping in the car so both make adjustments based on the exhaust/fuel/air/etc and conditions that apply in my vehicle.

Meanwhile, the car is flying:

Furthermore, the reason why i am so brave is because the lease it up in 7months....lol

Last edited by dmetuning; 09-19-2013 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:03 PM   #56
dunderhi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighConcept View Post
Glad we can be adults this time around. If you perused my first post more carefully, notice I never pursued you and just shared some insight w/ an opinion of badblack only to be retorted with some distasteful sarcasm and insulting rhetorical speech. You didn't have to behave that way.

My reply to that condescending post was to allow you the impression and perception others view you as. My actual response didn't commence until I said, "many can resort to..." and was really the intent of the message. So honestly, I wasn't calling you a troll or deprecating your contributions... more so the attitude along with the childish nature in how that can appear IF allocated to the other side of the argument.

The idiot quote to ClassM served as an admonishment to not engage in a perpetual dispute in an idiotic circumstance -- it applies both ways. We can both agree that we crave shell evidence in results, which I will provide given the leisure... but in contrast to that, not when I am challenged and have to "prove a point". Let's all get along as we seem to share a similar outcome; exploring tunes without a bias to help each other with buying decisions.

Thank you, and .

Misunderstandings usually have two very different perspectives. From my perspective, I thought you were being confrontational with an outrageous performance claim and I called you on it - no insult intended, no sarcasm. If your (misperceived) claim was true, it truly would have put BB's results in a new perspective for me. Same for the 100 Cetane requirement; a tune that only needs 93 Cetane can't compete with a tune that requires 100 Cetane. Likewise, after rereading your post, it still looks like you called me a troll whether or not you qualified it as being childish. I read it as you launched a personal attack against me and then tried to take the high road, so as not to look bad. As I said, two very different perspectives. It's all cleared up now, so no hard feelings.

BTW, if you had produced a stock 12.4 timeslip, you would have had me bowing in respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassM View Post
Dundehi, you antagonize with shit like "dinan rant" and "noob" and "i gave badblack the BB name blah blah" so off topic. You trolled by saying highconcept claimed the Dinan 12.4 was stock times when he never said such things or bashed it.

And exactly, its JUST A TUNE so what made you go balls to the wall anytime someone mentions dinan sucks or bms is better. Dude, lets just drop this and get a beer lol. We BMW owners so that makes us bimmerheads.

I can't give you any proof because I dont own a BMS, I'm dinan lol.
From my perspective, I went balls to the wall, because I was called a troll -plain and simple. If either HighConcept or I explained to the each other in clear English when we thought we were being offended, there would have been no escalation. I made a comment, he made a comment, then at different points we perceived each other were attacking inappropriately and took offense.

Anyway, it all was a misunderstanding. Maybe you can understand how someone could misunderstand someone posting "A lot of us result in the same range as he does with stock possibly best at 12.4-12.7 contingent on weather and reflex" and thought he was talking about a stock 550xi and not 550xi that is stock except for BMS. I didn't perceive "same range as he does" meant "the same range of BMS psi as he does" rather than "the same range of skill and/or performance as he does." Again, it was my misunderstanding. Nothing to do with Dinan or BMS.

Finally, I think there is one more little misunderstanding between all of us, (other than BB and Alextremo, since they actually know) neither of my Bimmers have Dinan installed. True, I have owned a Dinan car in the past, but I have also owned other tunes too.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #57
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F07 LCI

Quote:
550GT had to get prestige BMW - Ramsey to purchase a boost kit to verify that his car was boosting correctly.
That was me! Haha.

Luckily, the car got fixed and you don't just feel an increase, you see the speedometer moving a lot quicker than before .

DINAN is definitely not giving the full 520+hp they claim, but it is definitely a significant improvement over stock, however I agree with @middly that BMS is the better tune overall (price, performance, etc.).

Guys, we are all mature BMW owners here, not 1st graders. Please, no arguing over what tune is better. People have opinions, let them be. @dunderhi is not a bad guy, he just has a soft spot for DINAN, I believe he was one of the first to get the tune.

I personally know @badblack550xi in person, and he is not as bad as he is on the forums LOL (just kidding). Seriously though, he will not however back down on a 1/4 mile challenge, and will always believe BMS is superior, however I want to see what his car runs on just stock BMS tune, not juiced up for 4+ psi.

Btw, does anyone know if you can stack the BMS tune on top of the DINAN. IF so, @badblack550xi if you don't mind, I want to try the BMS on my car (if we have the same harness).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #58
ClassM
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i msport/M5 E60/M3 E9x

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
From my perspective, I went balls to the wall, because I was called a troll -plain and simple. If either HighConcept or I explained to the each other in clear English when we thought we were being offended, there would have been no escalation. I made a comment, he made a comment, then at different points we perceived each other were attacking inappropriately and took offense.

Anyway, it all was a misunderstanding. Maybe you can understand how someone could misunderstand someone posting "A lot of us result in the same range as he does with stock possibly best at 12.4-12.7 contingent on weather and reflex" and thought he was talking about a stock 550xi and not 550xi that is stock except for BMS. I didn't perceive "same range as he does" meant "the same range of BMS psi as he does" rather than "the same range of skill and/or performance as he does." Again, it was my misunderstanding. Nothing to do with Dinan or BMS.

Finally, I think there is one more little misunderstanding between all of us, (other than BB and Alextremo, since they actually know) neither of my Bimmers have Dinan installed. True, I have owned a Dinan car in the past, but I have also owned other tunes too.
Liar, you was already going balls to the walls before the troll comment with your "12.4 stock? I'm impressed!! Not to take any credit away from BB, but 12.1 doesn't look all that fast anymore." and "then I guess BMS gotta blow a hole in their engine! blah blah". Thats no insult intended and sarcasm? Here's even more proof: "I thought you were being confrontational with an outrageous performance claim"

Sure looks like sarcasm and childish to me. If you were polite you wouldve asked "do you mean stock car like completely stock without tunes?" instead of being an ass and you know this. It seems more like YOU were trying to take the highroad after realizing highconcept brushed you off and wasnt having it.

He has every right to feel you were rude, most people here think you ARE lol. That's why he simulate the way you talk to others, because it feels as though you are calling US trolls lol. And he's right, you do always try to get in the last word even after he made peace with you.

You know its bad when Badblackxi had to explain it himself to clear up for you lol. I think you were already frustrated with the OP and BB then HC came along wrong time for him. Bro, you just gotta relax man. You are too on defense with things. Alright lets end this BS then and get along dude.

Last edited by ClassM; 09-19-2013 at 05:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #59
ClassM
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DINAN_GT View Post
That was me! Haha.

Luckily, the car got fixed and you don't just feel an increase, you see the speedometer moving a lot quicker than before .

DINAN is definitely not giving the full 520+hp they claim, but it is definitely a significant improvement over stock, however I agree with @middly that BMS is the better tune overall (price, performance, etc.).

Guys, we are all mature BMW owners here, not 1st graders. Please, no arguing over what tune is better. People have opinions, let them be. @dunderhi is not a bad guy, he just has a soft spot for DINAN, I believe he was one of the first to get the tune.

I personally know @badblack550xi in person, and he is not as bad as he is on the forums LOL (just kidding). Seriously though, he will not however back down on a 1/4 mile challenge, and will always believe BMS is superior, however I want to see what his car runs on just stock BMS tune, not juiced up for 4+ psi.

Btw, does anyone know if you can stack the BMS tune on top of the DINAN. IF so, @badblack550xi if you don't mind, I want to try the BMS on my car (if we have the same harness).
And he says he not a Dinan fanboy lol cant blame him then.

Yes you can stack, I think Middly did and its working. I could be wrong too just read it.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #60
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And he says he not a Dinan fanboy lol cant blame him then.

Yes you can stack, I think Middly did and its working. I could be wrong too just read it.
I believe Middly's tune is not currently working, allowing him to use BMS. However, I haven't seen a DINAN w/ BMS.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #61
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe Middly's tune is not currently working, allowing him to use BMS. However, I haven't seen a DINAN w/ BMS.
Give me 10 days and we will find out...lol

Prestige Appointment next Friday to re-install the Dinan tune and BMS is going back in.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #62
dmetuning
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That was me! Haha.

DINAN GT, I like your signature....Faster than you think.

Dinan's signature should be.....Not as fast as you think......
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #63
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:

LOL I cracked up at this one. Dont make BB too happy... he will not stop rubbing it in

See you this Saturday, I knew you would be able to come

Join our group bro, F10Crew. https://www.facebook.com/groups/socal535f10crew/
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 07:08 PM   #64
ClassM
Private
Rep

Quote:

I think all of ours should be lol. DINAN GT, how do you make those blue boxes with the username inserted?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #65
TheBlackGT
Like No Other.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I think all of ours should be lol. DINAN GT, how do you make those blue boxes with the username inserted?
Sorry, ClassM, I forgot to reply to your PM.

All you do is type "@" and "username" together, and it should work. For example (not a real name), @ ClassM (no space between @ and the name) would be in a blue box. @ClassM
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #66
badblack550xi
Colonel
United_States
Rep

F10 crew group is lame i asked to be kicked out of it.