2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes Lowered F11 very hard / bumpy in rear

04-26-2024, 02:43 AM   #1
MortyMeister
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535ix F11

Lowered F11 very hard / bumpy in rear

Hi,

I just bought my first ever BMW and therefore I'm also completely new on this forum. I bought a lovely 535ix from 2012. It's definitely a nice car but I do think the rear suspension is VERY hard/stiff.

The previous owner has lowered the car quite a bit (i think 40-50 mm) with springs in front, 4 new shock absorbers and lowering links in the rear. The air springs in the rear has also been changed not so long ago.

I have zero experience with air suspension and therefore I'm curious if the hard ride is simply due to the lowering links having a significant impact on the rear stiffness? Or could this be due to the air compressor being faulty somehow?

In comparison the front is also very firm but feels much more "correct" and sporty like you would expect for a lowered car where the rear simply feels too harsh.

Also - does it make a difference if you lower the rear with programming instead of the links?

Really hoping someone can enlighten me on this topic :-) !

/Morten

Last edited by MortyMeister; 04-26-2024 at 06:12 AM..
Appreciate 0