2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum F10 5-series Night Vision Technology In Action

03-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #23
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: Space gray, M Beige F10 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breynac View Post
I have Night vision installed,

but the alert system does not work. My system recognise a person (body marked yellow) but no warning (yellow triangle) comes up in display.

The BMW dealer and Münich technical team have no idea how to fix it.

Which I find strange - must be a software problem.

Anyone experienced the same?
Are you sure that there is a problem. You will not get the warning unless you actually are about to run into a pedestrian. The people will get yellow, but warning only when needed. I have had the waring may be 5 times in 7 months, and then on narrow roads or crossings. If you have low speed, or you touch the breaks, the car will know that you see them, and will not give any alarm. In some cases you will get false alarms in curves, even when there is a barrier between the road and the pedestrian.

Also, you will hopefully break when you see this, and then it is nearly impossible to register this warning both at the screen (large yellow triangle) and in the HUD (Green man) at the same incidense. It is simply to fast to turn it off when you break. I normally see it on the screen first, and then break, and se nothing in the HUD.

If you have the collision warning it is the same thing. You only see it when you really need it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #24
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Video

Also, a note on the video. Take a look at the location of the efficient dynamics area below the tach. It is opposite of the states and it is in a more logical location, right?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #25
Dulles530
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soon ExAudi Guy View Post
Really good point about the novelty factor. I can see the practicality if you frequenty go out of town to a cabin or cottage, and roaming wild life is an issue. Beyond that, and the show n' tell wow factor, is it necessary?
I got the Night vision with my new 535i F10, and I think it's really a $2500 toy. First, at speed you'll have very little time to keep looking over at the center console/screen - and if you do you might crash anyway. I got this option for the same reason as many - seeing deer. However I find I don't really use it and its somewhat of a novelty. I managed to avoid deer for 7 yrs in my new E39 530, without night vision..

Further some brands (Mercedes?) Put the NV display in the instrument cluster, so there's less eye travel required to check the NV screen
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #26
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep

If you have the HUD, you do not need to look av the NV., and it is not made for avoiding deer. You will see people 3 times further away than this headlight, and for small narrow country roads without any streetlights, it is more than a toy. I also use it to insolation problem around the house...
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #27
Soft
Private
Rep
Drives: Audi A7 3.0 TSFI

Hi, Im From Norway too !:-)
would you consider the NV to be of any use driving from Oslo to Hemsedal at night/evening in respect of "seeing" moose lurking on the side of the road?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #28
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Will recommend it. In roads with poor visibility and moose in the forest I have one of the kids looking at the Nightvision looking for moose/skiers etc while im driving. I would never buy a car again without it.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:54 PM   #29
LMOR
Private
Norway
Rep

Agree, what I do, is that for every new "road", curve, hilltop, I take a quick look at the screen, and then you would see if there are people or moose on a VERY long distance. It is not any worse than looking in the rear mirror, or side mirror, and you should do that when beeing a good driver. AND when you look at the screen, you will see the road on the screen ... so this is definitly not the worst "distraction".
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #30
LuxeFilms
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Is there any way to add/install night vision to an existing 5 or 7 series?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 10:22 AM   #31
fazooley
Rep
Drives: f01 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxeFilms View Post
Is there any way to add/install night vision to an existing 5 or 7 series?
I'd like to know the same thing, has to be a small infared camera and an ecu to do the processing. I can't see it being more than 1500 bux and we know its as easy as pie to enable with e-sys

Frankie
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2014, 04:42 PM   #32
TheGr8Swami
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i M-Sport w/XDrive

I guess my Night Vision is malfunctioning because I rarely get the HUD notification when a pedestrian is in my path. My 2012 will go in for service next week and I will have them address a few concerns I have with my 550.