2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums Regional Forums UK Blackberry Email and Text Messages

05-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #1
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2016 535D M Sport Touring

Blackberry Email and Text Messages

All,

Does anyone with an LCI model have problems with the email and text function? I have a works issue BB Curve and I can no longer see my emails or texts in the messages screen. In my old 520 it just worked from the day it was paired to the phone.

The dealer tells me its changed in the LCI and you need to go into the Connect Drive website and set up the email services. I can't do this for my work email but it doesn't work for my home email either.

Regardless, I'm not convinced you need to set up the email service if you have the phone in the car and besides the text system also doesn't work!

Help appreciated.

Last edited by Gordon4499; 05-30-2014 at 06:24 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 04:56 AM   #2
Jocky Wilson
dArtist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520D Touring

I don't know about Blackberry, but apparently you could get the car to read you text messages from an iPhone at one point. However, due to an upgrade of iOS or BMW Sat Nav software (I'm not sure which), that functionality currently doesn't work.

BMW blame Apple. Apple blame BMW.
      06-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #3
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Thanks Jocky and I think that's where I am heading with the BB. BMW say that the problem is third party and they can't help.

I also can't get the online email to work from my btyahoo account. I have tried just about every combination on the connect drive site but no joy.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #4
hajmuntz
Private
Rep
Drives: 520d lux touring LCI

You have two options.
1. You can configure your email to download direct to the car using the bmw portal. This is accessing your mail server and operates totally independently of your phone, so should work regardless of what phone you have but I am guessing you need bmw connected drive.
2. You can have your screen replicate your phone using bluetooth. I have pro media on my LCI 520d Luxury but it was an early build and seemed to have missed out on advanced bluetooth. However, our very own coding genius, GSPANNU, enabled the enhanced bluetooth for me and it now works.
The operating system in the F10/11 is QNX which is made by blackberry so integration is pretty good. I have a blackberry 10 device though - your curve is on the legacy OS7 and so may not be supported.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
hajmuntz
Private
Rep

It was iOS that broke the connectivity. Lots of articles about this on other geekier forums.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
Gordon4499
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajmuntz View Post
You have two options.
1. You can configure your email to download direct to the car using the bmw portal. This is accessing your mail server and operates totally independently of your phone, so should work regardless of what phone you have but I am guessing you need bmw connected drive.
2. You can have your screen replicate your phone using bluetooth. I have pro media on my LCI 520d Luxury but it was an early build and seemed to have missed out on advanced bluetooth. However, our very own coding genius, GSPANNU, enabled the enhanced bluetooth for me and it now works.
The operating system in the F10/11 is QNX which is made by blackberry so integration is pretty good. I have a blackberry 10 device though - your curve is on the legacy OS7 and so may not be supported.
I finally got the online email working with some help from the connect drive helpline but the Bluetooth text and emails still not resolved. I have contacted tech support and await a response but the same phone worked fine in my 520 so no idea why it won't work in this car. My employer is changing phone provider at the end of the month so perhaps a new phone will be the answer!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #7
hajmuntz
Private
Rep

you definitely have enhanced bluetooth - i researched this when i bought my car but i have forgotten the details. if you have pro media on an LCI car then you have to have enhanced bluetooth for this to work. Good news is that if you don't have that option the hardware is the same regardless and it can be coded to work (only on post July LCI cars). Once Guru had coded my car i suddenly gained an additional menu for bluetooth office.

i believe the pre LCI pro media cars included bluetooth office as standard. a simple way to check is can you stream music over bluetooth?
Appreciate 0