2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Urgent Advice Needed for New Car Delivery Tomorrow!!!!

09-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #1
DrRx
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535ix M-Sport

Question Urgent Advice Needed for New Car Delivery Tomorrow!!!!

I will be picking up my new 2013 535xi M-Sport tomorrow () and have some concerns about the 19" rims on the M-Sport when coupled with the 40 aspect ratio GoodYear run-flat tires. Based on this forum's feedback, I am anticipate running into some tire/rim trouble with this setup.

So, the question is as follows:

A. Do I purchase the BMW tire/rim insurance for a total cost of about $1200 for the duration of my 3-year lease (I'm in Canada)?

OR

B. Do I forgo the insurance and use the $1200 on a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sport performance tires for summer use (since I already bought a set of 18" Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 winter tires & Rial rims) and save the crappy run-flats for the lease return?

What I am wondering is will the swap to the non-run-flat Michelins provide enough 'protection' that my risk of tire/rim damage with this 19" combination becomes rather low such that the insurance becomes non-essential. (I am considering this option based on the fact that I have driven 3 E-Classes for a total of 9 years with 40 aspect ratio 18" non-run-flat tires without any tire/rim problem except for 1 roofing nail incident.)

OR

C. Do I need the tire/rim insurance even if I swap the run-flats out for the performance non-run-flat tires? If this is the case, does anyone know if the Michelin PSS tires are BMW 'approved" (ie. * marked) such that the BMW tire/rim insurance even covers them?? The PA4 winters are not approved, so I don't think the insurance will cover these.

Do the Michelin PSS's really improve performance that significantly over the GoodYear run-flats that it is worth the investment regardless??

Thanks for any helpful input as I need to finalize this decision in the next 18 hours!!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 12:30 AM   #2
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

1st off congrats on your new car. I had the tire and rim insurance through my dealer as I had trouble with good years on my E60 and those were nonRFTs btw so I wanted 0 issues. I retained the RFT setup and over the course of 3 years used the insurance for a total of $5000 worth of tires changed!! I am now running nonRFTs since my insurance is no longer. So far I have had one tire to change because of a nasty pothole on Jarvis St. That managed to bend my rim too! My advise to you seeing that you live in Toronto is to take the insurance it will pay for itself trust me. If you do take the insurance you will have to stay with RFT setup though. Those are my 2 cents. Good luck.

MBA
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #3
DrRx
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535ix M-Sport

Thanks Dr.MBA! A quick question, when you bent your rim, did BMW repair or replace the rim? If repaired, were/are you happy and confident in the work done and is it noticeable at all?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 09:37 AM   #4
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

If the wheel is bent, they will replace it. If its curbed lightly, they will repair. If its curbed badly, they will replace. So if you messed up the wheel, make sure you thoroughly mess it up.

For repair, BMW will subcontract to a local wheel repair shop. It will look like new but the paint won't be as durable as oem paint. So, wheel you damage a wheel, make sure you hit the curb a few more times
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Here's the flip side. I remove my run flats as soon as I get my cars, I just like the way a car handles with regular tires. In 7 years and 3 BMWs with Rft driving in NJ and NYC which both have notoriously bad roads, I've had one popped tire - $250 (and that popped tire definitely would have bent my 19" M rim with a run flat on, I hit it so hard my jaw still aches). I am ahead $3350 of what I would have been if I kept my easy-to-bubble-rim-bending-not great handling run flats and bought the insurance. It's always a gamble though.

You need to do what's right for you though and what you're comfortable with. I don't mind not having a spare, just the Continental kit because I've had so many cars over the years without spares, it's a non-issue for me.
      09-17-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
dr.mba
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F. Grey M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post
Here's the flip side. I remove my run flats as soon as I get my cars, I just like the way a car handles with regular tires. In 7 years and 3 BMWs with Rft driving in NJ and NYC which both have notoriously bad roads, I've had one popped tire - $250 (and that popped tire definitely would have bent my 19" M rim with a run flat on, I hit it so hard my jaw still aches). I am ahead $3350 of what I would have been if I kept my easy-to-bubble-rim-bending-not great handling run flats and bought the insurance. It's always a gamble though.

You need to do what's right for you though and what you're comfortable with. I don't mind not having a spare, just the Continental kit because I've had so many cars over the years without spares, it's a non-issue for me.
I do agree with what's been said. I am however always weary of bad luck as I had to change 7 tires on my E60 for over $2000 and was kicking myself in the behind for not buying the insurance. Again this was a non RFT setup so we're talking nails and bad side wall construction courtesy if Goodyear. i did not want to have to think about spending any money on tires with the new car especially that it had 19" wheels with lower profiles. I would call my story a success. But who knows. If I was to go back in time I would still get the insurance.

MBA
Appreciate 0