2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Another transmission rant

05-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #1
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Wink Another transmission rant

OK, so we all know that the F10 transmission automatically selects park as soon as you open the door, but it would appear that the the car's warning system doesn't.
Last night I parked in my driveway and as usual I selected neutral to allow the car to come to a standstill in a slight hollow because, that way, it doesn't stress the transmission lock and I prefer not to keep the parking brake system pressurised overnight. The only thing I did differently from normal was to switch off before selecting park.
The 'bong' immediately sounded and a warning message appeared on the screen telling me that it would not be possible to lock the car from the outside with the car in neutral
So what did it think I was going to do - climb out of the window just so that I could leave it in neutral?
Damn thing doesn't know it's arse from it's elbow
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5

Jon D.

Actually there should be nothing to worry about in using your parking brake. When I first rotated my tires I looked at this system and there is actually an electrical motor assembly on each rear wheel that physically push the pads to the rotor.

That was one of my secondary concerns when I brought up the whole "putting the transmission in Neutral" thread as it related to having a breakdown. If the parking brake is on as well and lets just say that the Battery completely craps out, how do you release the parking brake? I guess you drag the car on the flatbed..............because unless I am missing something....the rear wheels won't budge.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

I believe my f1 has a tool in the toolkit that is designed to release the parking brake under such circumstances. Unless it's for another purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghueser View Post
Jon D.

Actually there should be nothing to worry about in using your parking brake. When I first rotated my tires I looked at this system and there is actually an electrical motor assembly on each rear wheel that physically push the pads to the rotor.

That was one of my secondary concerns when I brought up the whole "putting the transmission in Neutral" thread as it related to having a breakdown. If the parking brake is on as well and lets just say that the Battery completely craps out, how do you release the parking brake? I guess you drag the car on the flatbed..............because unless I am missing something....the rear wheels won't budge.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 08:51 AM   #4
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Since September, the tool is no longer included with the 5 series. Prior to that, one could physically unluck the transmission and the rear brakes........no longer. The transmission can now be unlocked by a series of moves on the shifter, but if power goes out............... we are all out of luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Jon D.

That's interesting thanks, I thought it was hydraulic because it sounds just like fluid being pumped when you operate the switch - quite unlike the sound of electric motors. However, I'll still maintain my policy of not using it unless I'm on a gradient - it eliminates any concern about them getting stuck or a motor failure.
In other threads I've frequently commented on the fallibility of the system in that, other than lifting the rear wheels off the ground, the car cannot be moved in the event of an electrical failure. Potentially very dangerous if you break down halfway round a blind bend or a similarly hazardous situation.
Not quite so bad if you have an engine failure, but still have electrical power - you can select neutral by cranking the engine at the same time as operating the gear lever.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Wow, that sux. First the dipstick, then the spare tire, and now the parking brake tool. What's next?

Can you confirm if the old tool would still work even though they don't give it to you in the event of a power failure? Or, is the tool not going to work anyway?

Quote:
Since September, the tool is no longer included with the 5 series. Prior to that, one could physically unluck the transmission and the rear brakes........no longer. The transmission can now be unlocked by a series of moves on the shifter, but if power goes out............... we are all out of luck.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 10:40 AM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post
Wow, that sux. First the dipstick, then the spare tire, and now the parking brake tool. What's next?

Can you confirm if the old tool would still work even though they don't give it to you in the event of a power failure? Or, is the tool not going to work anyway?
My dealer told me that from Sep 2010 onward, the transmission no longer has the socket in which to fit the tool, otherwise I'd have had a look and made my own. Apparently the release mechanism is now located underneath the transmission and I understand that quite a lot of stuff has to be removed in order to gain access - definitely not a quick roadside job.
As to dipsticks, at least my 535d has one and I get pleasure every time I check the oil level - still exactly on the top notch after 7k miles. If there's any loss it's indiscernible and probably entirely due to what I wipe off when checking.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
ghueser
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7 View Post

Jon D is correct about the tranny. Since September, there no longer is a place to use the tool. On the rear brakes, not sure...but since the floor cover is now screwed down, doubt that these access points are there anymore. I might check one of these weekends, as well as trying to confirm how easy it is to replace the cabin filters, which are located up underneath the passenger footwell...behind the glove box.
Appreciate 0