2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum rear motorized sunshade

04-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #1
eplace
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

rear motorized sunshade

So my rear sunshade would deploy, but when I hit the switch, it would move an inch and get stuck at that position. With a little force applied on one of the arms, it would then retract and close. Seems like the motor in both directions are working, but perhaps something faulty in the rail..?

Anyone with this same issue??

Thx.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 01:10 PM   #2
swksuwc57
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 & 2014 BMW 550i

Replaced Rear Power Sunshade & Repaired the old one

I had the same issue. I ended up ordering/installing a new roller sunshade. Part 51469178931 ($614.39 + shipping). It's an easy install. For me it was easier than changing out the cabin filter. :C)
However, I was messing with the old broken one..just curious if I could diagnosis the issue. The motor seemed fine. The rails looked good and no broken pieces. There is a site that claims they have a part that will fix it. But I looked at that and didn't see that as an issue. Mine just got stuck a few inches from top on the way down. Anyhow, I sprayed WD-40 everywhere possible. Still same problem. I even removed the screws by the motor that seems to have some adjustments, albeit small, to move it & adjust motor position side to side. That didn't help either. But, then I noticed another screw, that didn't seem to hold the motor in place. Picture below. I turned it to loosen with about 6-8 rotations. Then I tested the sunshade and boom. It went down! I'm not sure if that is some sort of torque adjustment or I just got lucky with the combination of doing all of the other troubleshooting tests. Since I ordered and had the new sunshade already, and with a 25% restock fee, I went ahead and replaced it anyway. So now I have 2 working sunshades. You may want to give that a shot.

Steps to install roller sunshade:

1. Remove 3 screws in trunk
2. Fold seats down (hopefully you have that option, if not I think seats are easy to remove)
3. Remove 5 plastic screws with plastic prying tool, 2 of these are hidden behind 2 (left/right) seat pieces. Just pull those up and out to remove the seat pieces.
4. Remove 2 ABS (airbag) clips and then 2 screws. ABS clips were hardest thing. I had to use Very thin screwdriver and hammer. But then they just pop off. None of my pry tools were thin enough.
5. Lift rear deck/parcel up..jigging it. And then go ahead a just unclip the speaker wires.
6. Take sunshade out from bottom. Just angle it and bend the parcel/deck to wiggle it out.

Attached Images

Last edited by swksuwc57; 09-04-2017 at 02:06 PM..
Appreciate 0