2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 F10 Technical Topics Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications M5 Exhaust - Whole System Or Just Mufflers?

11-11-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 650i Gran Coupe

M5 Exhaust - Whole System Or Just Mufflers?

I know that the M5 muffler installation has been beat to death here, but I didn't see any answer to my question - it was asked, but it wasn't answered.

I picked up an M5 exhaust complete from tips to the head pipes.

First, for those of you who have installed the whole M5 system, is it a bolt up affair or is there cutting and tweaking involved? (Tweaking, not twerking).

Second, would it just be easier to cut off the mufflers and install those on my existing 550 exhaust? I'm not planning to mod the engine for more power, so would the extra pipe diameter make any difference?

I did purchase an M5 diffuser, but no sensor relocater as my car doesn't have the trunk kick opener. Do I need something for the parking sensors?

My son tells me that since I have the whole system just use it - it wouldn't hurt, but the installation may be more time consuming.

What say the members?
      11-11-2014, 10:11 PM   #2
550Reasons
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 550i

downpipes are different, you dont want to use those anyways, but I hear it does bolt on with minor flexing around and nothing crazy, there are quite a few people running oem M5 full exhausts on their 550's
I wanted to go that route but no one was selling theirs local at the time.
2016 550i
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep

I tried to install the whole system, but it was hitting under the rear suspension and the exhaust tips don't line up with the diffuser openings.

I'm going to have to put back the stock 550 system and just try to retrofit the mufflers - any suggestions?
      12-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
HDEddie1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i, X3M40i, Audi SQ5

If you want to use just the mufflers, then you'll need a short transition pipe (2 7/8" stock pipe to 3" M pipe) but otherwise it'll bolt right to the existing hangers. Tip: Just before the weld, hold the quad pipes into the center of the stock diffuser with a slight push so they'll line up more flush than sticking out. You'll need to add (with plastic nipple) about a foot of rubber vacuum hose on each side to connect to the M5 pipe valve.
This is an EASY job for a good muffler job. I used Mikes' muffler (El Monte).
BTW...if you want to do the M5 diffuser, the positioning will be more critical but still, the muffler shop needs to fab the transition pipe with more attention. Regarding the sensor, other folks have posted a work-around on this forum.
Good Luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
I tried to install the whole system, but it was hitting under the rear suspension and the exhaust tips don't line up with the diffuser openings.

I'm going to have to put back the stock 550 system and just try to retrofit the mufflers - any suggestions?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #5
Chili Palmer
Master Of My Domain
United_States
Rep

I ended up just using the mufflers, I really wanted to use the M5 piping as it's larger and has less restrictive resonators, but due to it hitting around the rear suspension pieces I relented and put back the original 550 exhaust just past the rear axle and just used the M5 mufflers.

It's not quite as rumbley as I wanted it, but at least I can hear it when I get on it now. Maybe this weekend I'll zip tie open the valves and see how it sounds.

For all you do guys that want to tackle using the M5 piping, I've got it available.
      12-17-2014, 07:14 PM   #6
CloudVIII
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: AW LCI F80///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer View Post
I ended up just using the mufflers, I really wanted to use the M5 piping as it's larger and has less restrictive resonators, but due to it hitting around the rear suspension pieces I relented and put back the original 550 exhaust just past the rear axle and just used the M5 mufflers.

It's not quite as rumbley as I wanted it, but at least I can hear it when I get on it now. Maybe this weekend I'll zip tie open the valves and see how it sounds.

For all you do guys that want to tackle using the M5 piping, I've got it available.
Add the ExhaustMeister and control it at your discretion. Worth $150 and 10 mins of your time.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #7
rmastale
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 535i MSport, F15 X5 MSport

I used M6 mufflers and the sound is amazing. Not too loud. Not soft at all. Perfect rumble.
Appreciate 0