2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Click when engaging brakes

10-22-2023, 10:06 PM   #1
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M550

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but my brakes used to make a single click when engaged and the dealership told me it's a common thing on F10 since the pads move back and forth depending on the direction of travel when engaging the brakes. A couple months ago they replaced my brakes and rotors and did not hear the click for a while, now it's back.

Is there a remedy for this? Is there something I can do about it?

My dealer does not seem to find it to be a big deal but it bothers me.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 10:44 PM   #2
Fknid
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 2014 X5 50i

I recently installed aftermarket Bosch brake pads on my X5, and they quickly developed a click on first braking after changing direction on both sides. I changed the brake pads to a different brand and noticed that the Bosch brake pads (mine) had a backing plate that is not attached to the brake pad. It is just clipped on.

The new pads have a backing plate that is fully attached. Clicking is gone.

Nb: the first original pads that came with the vehicle did not click.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 07:11 AM   #3
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fknid View Post
I recently installed aftermarket Bosch brake pads on my X5, and they quickly developed a click on first braking after changing direction on both sides. I changed the brake pads to a different brand and noticed that the Bosch brake pads (mine) had a backing plate that is not attached to the brake pad. It is just clipped on.

The new pads have a backing plate that is fully attached. Clicking is gone.

Nb: the first original pads that came with the vehicle did not click.
Everything the dealership installed was OEM, so I'm not sure that the size would have any issues. I'm just not sure why the pads keep developing the movement.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 07:55 PM   #4
Fknid
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvery777 View Post
Everything the dealership installed was OEM, so I'm not sure that the size would have any issues. I'm just not sure why the pads keep developing the movement.
OEM brakes can also be Bosch brand as BMW does not manufacture brake pads. Your only option is to continue to complain to the dealer or spend money to get a mechanic to lube properly (which may or may not fix it) or change to a different aftermarket brand.

The dealer is not concerned with it because:
1. It's not his car
2. It will cost him time/money
3. It's not a safety issue

I would go back to the dealer and complain that it is not normal and is not as designed. If he tells you that it's normal then ask him to take you out in a demo vehicle to demonstrate the all vehicles do it.
Appreciate 1
zvery777271.00
      10-24-2023, 07:49 AM   #5
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OEM brakes can also be Bosch brand as BMW does not manufacture brake pads. Your only option is to continue to complain to the dealer or spend money to get a mechanic to lube properly (which may or may not fix it) or change to a different aftermarket brand.

The dealer is not concerned with it because:
1. It's not his car
2. It will cost him time/money
3. It's not a safety issue

I would go back to the dealer and complain that it is not normal and is not as designed. If he tells you that it's normal then ask him to take you out in a demo vehicle to demonstrate the all vehicles do it.
This dealership hates me because they don't find it to be a big deal and they don't care. Even called me as being "sensitive about my brakes". I will keep going back until they get it right because that is not ok. Thank you for your input!
Appreciate 1
      10-26-2023, 04:23 AM   #6
SWFLf10
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpina B6, 2015 535i

Garage List
It’s a common thing from what I’ve read. I first noticed it on my 5 series after switching to Akebono pads. They appear to be just slightly smaller or “looser” in the bracket that holds them in place, allowing the sound to occur when first changing direction. This only seems to be an issue in the front.

I swapped to genuine pads and the sound mostly went away. But since then it has come back, and it appears the bracket itself has worn in the area where the pad is held in place. I’ll be replacing the pads and the brackets together next time I do brakes to hopefully remedy the issue.

TLDR: Maybe try having the shop swap the mounting bracket for the front pads.
Appreciate 1
zvery777271.00
      10-27-2023, 08:13 AM   #7
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLf10 View Post
It’s a common thing from what I’ve read. I first noticed it on my 5 series after switching to Akebono pads. They appear to be just slightly smaller or “looser” in the bracket that holds them in place, allowing the sound to occur when first changing direction. This only seems to be an issue in the front.

I swapped to genuine pads and the sound mostly went away. But since then it has come back, and it appears the bracket itself has worn in the area where the pad is held in place. I’ll be replacing the pads and the brackets together next time I do brakes to hopefully remedy the issue.

TLDR: Maybe try having the shop swap the mounting bracket for the front pads.
Emailed the shop and they will have it reviewed by their regional technical next week. We will see what happens.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2023, 06:39 AM   #8
ChiltiCoatl89
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 BMW 535i M Sport

Garage List
I look forward to hearing what they have to say, I am performing my Rear Rotor replacement, and front and rear brake pads, and I am curious as well if after awhile I will hear this clicking noise.
Appreciate 1
zvery777271.00
      11-08-2023, 12:28 PM   #9
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Update: About to pick up the car later today and here is what they did to hopefully get rid of the noise.

FRONT CALIPER BRACKETS AGING
INSPECTED BY SFTS AND TSE MILLER. THE AMOUNT OF
MOVEMENT BETWEEN THE PAD AND THE CALIPER BRACKET IS
EXCESSIVE. THERE IS A SMALL NORMAL AMOUNT OF NOISE THAT
WILL OCCUR WITH LOAD REVERSAL WHEN BACKING UP AND THEN
GOING INTO DRIVE BUT THE CUSTOMERS CAR HAS AN EXCESSIVE
AMOUNT. REMOVED THE PADS AND CALIPER BRACKETS AND
INSPECTED, CLEAN PADS AND LUBE, REMOVE AND REPLACE THE
CALIPER BRACKET AND PAINT TO MATCH AND TOUCH UP THE
CALIPERS AND RETAINING SPRING. INSTALL NEW HARDWARE AS
NEEDED AND PERFORM ROAD TEST. PULLED FAULTS AND NO
FAULTS STORED FOR CHASSIS OR ENGINE SYSTEMS
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2023, 03:20 PM   #10
musclesmarinara75
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 N55 535i XDrive

Garage List
2013 535 XDrive  [9.75]
Talking

Quote:
I know I'm beating a dead horse here but my brakes used to make a single click when engaged and the dealership told me it's a common thing on F10 since the pads move back and forth depending on the direction of travel when engaging the brakes. A couple months ago they replaced my brakes and rotors and did not hear the click for a while, now it's back.

Is there a remedy for this? Is there something I can do about it?

My dealer does not seem to find it to be a big deal but it bothers me.
Turn your music louder when you hit the brakes, you'll never hear that noise again!
      11-09-2023, 05:20 PM   #11
Fknid
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Did this fix the issue? So, did they replace the caliper brackets with new ones? How much did this cost?

Quote:
Update: About to pick up the car later today and here is what they did to hopefully get rid of the noise.

FRONT CALIPER BRACKETS AGING
INSPECTED BY SFTS AND TSE MILLER. THE AMOUNT OF
MOVEMENT BETWEEN THE PAD AND THE CALIPER BRACKET IS
EXCESSIVE. THERE IS A SMALL NORMAL AMOUNT OF NOISE THAT
WILL OCCUR WITH LOAD REVERSAL WHEN BACKING UP AND THEN
GOING INTO DRIVE BUT THE CUSTOMERS CAR HAS AN EXCESSIVE
AMOUNT. REMOVED THE PADS AND CALIPER BRACKETS AND
INSPECTED, CLEAN PADS AND LUBE, REMOVE AND REPLACE THE
CALIPER BRACKET AND PAINT TO MATCH AND TOUCH UP THE
CALIPERS AND RETAINING SPRING. INSTALL NEW HARDWARE AS
NEEDED AND PERFORM ROAD TEST. PULLED FAULTS AND NO
FAULTS STORED FOR CHASSIS OR ENGINE SYSTEMS
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2023, 06:16 PM   #12
zvery777
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did this fix the issue? So, did they replace the caliper brackets with new ones? How much did this cost?
It seems that it did, didn't drive the car that much since but they felt nice and quiet. I did not pay anything since this was an ongoing issue and they covered the cost. They did replace the brackets, yes.
Appreciate 1
Fknid38.50
      11-13-2023, 09:18 PM   #13
Blue Angel
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Did not notice this on my F10 before upgrading the front calipers, but this exact problem happened on my Wife’s E90. Bosch Blue Ceramic brake pads, click when changing direction. Pads are slightly shorter than OE.

I bent the springs that engage the caliper piston ti bias the pad for braking from forward direction, they don’t click anymore.

I also noticed her caliper brackets are rusted and worn where the pad hardware sits. This is Canada, lots of salted roads, 220k kms later the brackets are corroded. I will probably replace them the next time I do the brakes.
Appreciate 1
zvery777271.00