2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Random Thoughts on the 5 and 7

06-04-2011, 10:55 AM   #23
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

I had an F10 528i loaner last October for about 10 days. Seemed to me that when I stepped down, I could almost hear the tranmission say, "What? Oh? Me? Oh, okay," then downshift a bunch of gears and take off. When it finally picked a gear, the acceleration was surprisingly good. (My most recent four BMWs have been 282 HP or better, so I was expecting the Five with a naturally-aspirated 3-liter motor to be a slug. It wasn't.)

I also recently drove an F1 750Li. I found the tip-in to be very aggressive. I had a hard time driving it smoothly.

Full disclosure: In over 30 years of car ownership, I've never had a car with fewer than three pedals, so I'm clearly not an expert on the subtleties of driving and living with an automatic transmission. I didn't even like the paddle shifters on the three ///M cars I drove at the One Day M School in Spartanburg.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #24
Bandini3
Reader
Canada
Rep
Drives: 535xi, 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBrown1003 View Post
I had an F10 528i loaner last October for about 10 days. Seemed to me that when I stepped down, I could almost hear the tranmission say, "What? Oh? Me? Oh, okay," then downshift a bunch of gears and take off. When it finally picked a gear, the acceleration was surprisingly good. (My most recent four BMWs have been 282 HP or better, so I was expecting the Five with a naturally-aspirated 3-liter motor to be a slug. It wasn't.)

I also recently drove an F1 750Li. I found the tip-in to be very aggressive. I had a hard time driving it smoothly.
The shifting behaviour of the ZF transmission used in the 750i, 550i, 535i and, I believe, 528i is managed by "intelligent, adaptive software" that responds to the pattern of driver inputs monitored by the AT software. If the 528i loaner and the 750Li had been driven in a substantially different manner for a period before you drove the vehicle, the transmission shifting behaviour of each would differ, to a certain extent.

For example, if previous drivers had driven the 528i slowly, with light throttle, this would encourage early upshifts that maximize fuel economy -- the car 'learns' this behaviour and assumes that is what the driver prefers. The 750Li might have hung around with a different crowd (heavy throttle), 'learning' this more aggressive driving behaviour.

That is a possible explanation for the difference in behaviour you observed. I believe the 'adaptation' of the ZF transmission is linked with engine management and throttle mapping, although I don't pretend to know the details.

Here is how the online BMW Technology Guide describes the software:
Quote:
Adaptive Transmission Management (ATM).
Whether driving in city traffic or coming out of a curve at speed: Adaptive Transmission Management (ATM) recognises your individual driving style and automatically selects the right gear at the right moment, eliminating unnecessary shifts.

ATM integrates data input from the accelerator pedal and the engine management system. By analysing the timing and manner that the driver applies the accelerator, ATM autonomously learns the driver's style - noting, for example, whether engine braking is often used, or if a gear is downshifted to accelerate out of curves. This pattern is continuously monitored, so that ATM always adapts to the style of the current driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #25
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Agreed. However, once driver slams down the pedal past the kickdown there can only be one program for the tranny to select: go baby, go!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 03:19 PM   #26
RadekG_CZ
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARBAJ View Post
As a propsective buyer who is sure he wants to order a 5 or 7 M sport, in the next 6-8 months, I have these random thoughts...

1. I really don't like the 5 hood at all.
2. I don't like the 7 interior door handles or the 6 speed trans. (Presumably, these will be fixed during the LCI next spring)...

Beyond these, I'm OK with the cars... Just sayin...
Go 5series. Its lighter, more quiet in higher speeds.
I was thinking same way as you but in 7series you dont feel you are part of car as in 5...

I only wish I can order door handles from 7 to 5 series

Make 5 series loaded and you will be happy with it....
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 05:23 PM   #27
SteVTEC
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARBAJ View Post
Ok, I'll play along... Am I blowing the 6 speed thing out of proportion?
I think you probably are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
I would prefer to go back to the 6 speed. This 8 speed thing kind of annoys me. It seems weird to shift every 500 rpm. I don't want to have to use SPort mode to rev over 2,000 RPM.
Quote:
I base that comment on driving a 335i with the N55 and 6 speed auto. I did not prefer that transmission overall, but I did prefer the lack of constant shifting and the car's behavior revving up through the powerband.
This.

While I did think the 528/8AT combo was great because it kept the engine in the sweet spot, I was still worried that it would be overly shifty during normal driving, especially up and down highway grades. It didn't seem right at all in the 535 though. With all that torque available below 2000rpm, why did it constantly want to shift to lower gears whenever you touched the gas? Just pick a gear and run with it...

Liked the 335/6AT much better. Touch the gas from lower speeds and it would pull nicely in the gear it was already in without downshifting. It just went. A little more and a nice solid feeling kickdown and corresponding increase in acceleration. I dunno. The 6AT just felt "right" to me, whereas the 8AT didn't.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #28
Capt Slow
Private
Rep
Drives: E39 530i Sport Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandini3 View Post

My neighbour owns two BMW dealerships, so I see a different 550i, 750i or 650i model most mornings.

The 750i with M Package I saw the other day struck me as a poseur car:
- the M Package signifies an interest in performance and vehicle dynamics;
- ideally, that driver would prefer to drive an M3 (or a 911), which will drive circles around any 550i, 750i or 650i
- but, he needs space, luxury and effortless speed. So he goes for a 550i

Why would that buyer go for a 750i, which weighs more, accelerates more slowly, and does not handle as well as a 550i?

Oh, it's because he doesn't care about performance. He just wants to look the part.
i.e. Poseur.

But, it's a personal choice. Adding aerodynamic pieces to a 7-Series is certainly a harmless activity.
... Why not drive an M5? Far superior in appearance, performance and "poseur" status.
      06-07-2011, 04:45 AM   #29
GARBAJ
Private
Rep
Drives: I'm hunting a car...agonizing

Frankly, it is under consideration for me. It will just be heck negotiating for it. Supposedly production for us won't be until March. Worst of all, via a thread I started yesterday, I'm sure it will have this crappy electronic/inaccurate/intermittent dipstick... That just won't work for a head case like me. It may very well wreck me owning a BMW...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:27 AM   #30
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteVTEC View Post
I think you probably are.

This.

While I did think the 528/8AT combo was great because it kept the engine in the sweet spot, I was still worried that it would be overly shifty during normal driving, especially up and down highway grades. It didn't seem right at all in the 535 though. With all that torque available below 2000rpm, why did it constantly want to shift to lower gears whenever you touched the gas? Just pick a gear and run with it...
My car doesn't exhibit this behavior much at all. In D, it hangs on to higher gears pretty well.

My issue is the opposite, upshifts earlier than I would like.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #31
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
My issue is the opposite, upshifts earlier than I would like.
Leave it in sport
      06-07-2011, 12:21 PM   #32
keith6
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i

7 vrs 5

I have owned them both prefer the 5 for an everyday driver but like many have stated, personal preferences should be what determines your purchase.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2011, 05:36 AM   #33
Breach
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 520dA M Sport

I really, really like the way the F10 looks. Front, rear, all of it! One of reasons I bought it ;-)
Appreciate 0