2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Headlights not covered under extended warranty?!?

01-28-2014, 07:46 PM   #1
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: mini

Headlights not covered under extended warranty?!?

Just washed my car the other day and upon driving off I get all sorts of warning signals "adaptive headlights malfunction and turn signal malfunction" messages. Thinking, that's weird.
I'll just pop by the dealership. They advise me that any headlight component is not covered under the warranty?! Anyone else have this issue?
My service adviser said it was a bad headlight module and the fix would be $1260! Insane!!!!
      01-28-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
ezmaass
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 650xi GC / '15 Audi R8 V10

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguilexx View Post
Just washed my car the other day and upon driving off I get all sorts of warning signals "adaptive headlights malfunction and turn signal malfunction" messages. Thinking, that's weird.
I'll just pop by the dealership. They advise me that any headlight component is not covered under the warranty?! Anyone else have this issue?
My service adviser said it was a bad headlight module and the fix would be $1260! Insane!!!!
Wow... this is a BMW extended warranty?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:00 PM   #3
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguilexx
Are you kidding me? That's outrageous!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Yup! 2011 535i cpo with extended BMW warranty to 100k miles, just past 50k miles by 2k.
      01-28-2014, 10:08 PM   #5
konasunset
registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i titanium silvr 1/11 build

Quote:
Doesn't fit in with my experience. Halo lights considered part of the headlight module? I had one of my halo lights go out in my 2011 F10 (there was a warning that was displayed) so I took the car in to the dealer. They decided that the assembly had to be replaced, which they did after getting the part. The entire front end of the car was removed to get at the assembly. While the car was at the dealer, I had a loaner. All was covered by the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:09 PM   #6
twelve535i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 35i M Sport

Who make the ultimate decision as to what is covered and what is not, dealership or BMWNA?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

BMW f10, 2011. Also had the halo (daytime running lamps) show up with a warning.
3 total warnings along with the annoying "bong" every 2 minutes! I was about to go insane and pull out the speakers!!!
And so far the decision was made by the dealership. I'm going to the original dealership where I purchased the vehicle tomorrow I hopes they say different. But even then over the phone the service advisor from the other dealership says "headlights are not covered under extended warranty" maybe under the original factory warranty only?
      01-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
konasunset
registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i titanium silvr 1/11 build

Quote:
BMW f10, 2011. Also had the halo (daytime running lamps) show up with a warning.
3 total warnings along with the annoying "bong" every 2 minutes! I was about to go insane and pull out the speakers!!!
And so far the decision was made by the dealership. I'm going to the original dealership where I purchased the vehicle tomorrow I hopes they say different. But even then over the phone the service advisor from the other dealership says "headlights are not covered under extended warranty" maybe under the original factory warranty only?
Perhaps only under the original factory warranty, which is what I have.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2014, 10:31 PM   #9
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Yeah, SA kept treating the extended warranty as not much coverage. Plus a co pay would of still been applicable of $50 of the repair!
Oh and you bet I'm getting charged the $180 diagnostic fee!
      01-31-2014, 09:34 AM   #10
skydiver22
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 540i

What plan is the extended warranty??? I am looking into the plans now and my dealership is telling me the platinum plan covers everything to include all electronics. Maybe your extended plan is the gold plan or standard plan.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 10:00 AM   #11
MELLOWYELLOW06
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 & 2022 X& M50i

I work with a great guy at Nick Alexander.
When you have a helpful SA, positive things
usually happen for the customer in tough situations.

Let me know if you want his info.
      01-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #12
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Thanks for the info. My contract either does not say what level plan or I don't see where it is. Just that it's the 72 months or 100k miles of extended warranty. Cost was $2295.00
I was told it was a bumper to bumper warranty covering everything except tires. Hence I assumed it would cover everything.
      01-31-2014, 11:24 AM   #13
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

And thanks for the help mellow yellow. I have an appointment this Tuesday set up with my original dealership who I purchased the car from and I'll find out what they say. If it's the same hassle I would welcome any help you could give me with your SA. Thanks again!!
      01-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #14
tchen811
Rep
Drives: 2005 M3

Quote:
Yup! 2011 535i cpo with extended BMW warranty to 100k miles, just past 50k miles by 2k.
I thought CPO only covers mechanical issues, like the engine?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 12:14 PM   #15
tchen811
Rep

Based on a read on bmwusa.com the following is not covered under CPO:

Body and Interior
Air or water leaks; body and chassis (all, including gas pressurized springs/struts, latches, locks and
windscreens); body seals and gaskets; bulbs including Xenon and LEDs (instrumentation bulbs are
covered); carpeting; cupholders; damage due to rust, corrosion or contamination; door brakes and checks;
floor and trunk mats; headlamp and headlamp assemblies (including electrical/electronic components);
headliner; lenses and lens assemblies (excluding electrical/electronic components); mirrors and mirror
assemblies (including electrical/electronic components); mouldings and fasteners; paint; trim - interior
and exterior (all, including the seatbelt extender arm and assembly, sunblinds including the drive motors
and sun visors); wheels; wind or body noises.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 05:10 PM   #16
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Gotta love the sales man then. Guy said bumper to bumper warranty, no issues at all would be my concern. Guess I'll get to the bottom of it Tuesday
      01-31-2014, 06:06 PM   #17
tchen811
Rep

Quote:
Gotta love the sales man then. Guy said bumper to bumper warranty, no issues at all would be my concern. Guess I'll get to the bottom of it Tuesday
Maybe he was referring to the original manufacturer's warranty? I would talk to him and maybe they'll fix it for free under goodwill...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2014, 08:35 PM   #18
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Hope that's the case! Otherwise I might as well buy a new headlight assembly from eBay! Lol!!!
      02-01-2014, 04:01 AM   #19
pillpusher84
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 550xi M-Sport Silver

Quote:
Hope that's the case! Otherwise I might as well buy a new headlight assembly from eBay! Lol!!!
I would probably run the salesman over with the CPO 5er first!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #20
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Lmao!!! I would have but the constant "bong" sound from the warning light was driving me nuts! Lol!!!
      03-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #21
ILv2Xlr8
Rep
Drives: xDrive50e

Quote:
What was the resolution? I'm in the same boat, except they want $1800 for my 335I light assembly.

The extended warranty on my vehicle is by a company named Premier and has an exclusion for bulbs, sealed beams, and lenses. Since the BMW part comes up as headlight assembly, they are denying coverage. My position is the dealer sold the warranty as an extension of the BMW bumper to bumper warranty. If the warranty doesn't cover it, then the dealer should in my opinion as that is how they sold it. I'm still fighting the battle after two days.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #22
goldguilexx
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Well.....

I paid 800 for the fix, the. I was shocked when a week a later another issue with the same headlight. But that was covered due to the work recently done.
Point is they won't fix it even with the warranty. Huge turn off for me on BMW. I expected more. Try different dealers, maybe one will reduce the cost or good will it.