2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Remote failed to work

10-07-2010, 08:09 AM   #1
uktivo
Private
Rep
Drives: 530D - F10

Remote failed to work

Hi All,
I've got the F10 pre September build.

Recently the remote has failed to operate the door entry. This has happened about three times in total over a 7 day period. Basically, I got out of the car, locked the doors. Went into a shop for 5/10 mins, came out and the remote would not open the doors. Left it for 5/10 mins whilst I called my wife to the rescue, went back and it worked fine.

I've also encountered a similar issue once in the car. I press the start button and the car does nothing. After about 3 or 4 pushes, there is a message asking me to present the key to the steering column. Whilst I fumble around in my pocket for my key, the car starts.. very strange.

The car is in the dealers today (actually went in yesterday for a recall to reprogram the software.. the dealer called me for this and said there was a recall on the car), the re-program failed so they had to keep it overnight. So hopefully they are going to fix this remote issue also....along with a few other issues I have.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
uktivo
Private
Rep

update:

just had a call from the dealer.. they have had the car for two whole days, have now completed the software update, valeted the car (40 pounds), but have not been able to do anything with the remote fail issue as the remote i left with them seems to work ok.. i said of course it does but its the same remote that has now failed 3 times.. so its clearly an intermittent fault. I asked her about the issue when i was in the car and pressing the start button and nothing happening, then a message appearing say present key fob to the steering column. she said there is nothing on the job card to say this and i signed this yesterday..
she then went on to say, they would need both remotes to test this fault, i hit the roof. Why did the receptionist tell me this and i could have dropped the other one off.

these bloody dealers are a disgrace. ive yet to find one that is good.

Knights BMW in stoke on trent.. named and shamed......

Last edited by uktivo; 10-07-2010 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: missed info
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
HaloEye
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Honda Accord

sorry to hear about this, sucks that you spend all this money on a nice car and you have this problem. i dont see why they can not just replace the key fob.

excuse my ignorance, but the you put the key fob into the key fob slot (as opposed to an actual key into the ignition) to start the car as well as start/stop button correct? does it come with regular key also? if it doesnt have a normal key i am curious what would happen if the battery in the key fob died and you were far from home
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
uktivo
Private
Rep

There is no key slot internally the ignition works via rf.
I have to say that I do get angry at the attitude dealers take, but Knights BMW do seem to be particulary bad at aftercare, customer service.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
jeffhoff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by uktivo View Post
Left it for 5/10 mins whilst I called my wife to the rescue, went back and it worked fine.
Probably a stupid question. . . . .why call the wife to the rescue? Pull the key out of the remote and manually unlock the door. (although this may not address the starting issues)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
uktivo
Private
Rep

Tried that but the locks would not open
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2010, 10:41 AM   #7
jeffhoff
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White X5M

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Tried that but the locks would not open
OK, that disturbs me more than the remote not working. . . . . a remote is a convenience, but when the physical key doesn't work I get worried.

Is your dealer aware of that issue as well?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 02:37 AM   #8
uktivo
Private
Rep

Yes the dealer is aware of this fact although if you ask them.. "it didn't say it on the job sheet".. they really have ticked me off this time..

to add insult to injury.. The F10 I purchased was a 3 month old demo. So I got 3 months road tax with the purchase. When the tax came to renew, I realised I hadn't got the V5 log book.. so I called the DVLA with 2 days to spare before the tax ran out to chase for the document. They advised it was still registered under the dealer and I was to complete a V92 and pay 25 pounds to re apply for the V5 in my name, I called the dealer to ask them to chase their side, I heard nothing from them. Because of the time frames involved, I had to jump into the car and drive to my nearest DVLA (48 ,miles away), wait for 2 hours to be seen and do the deal.

three days later, I got a call from the dealer to say they had found the original V5, they forgot to send it off

I yet again hit the roof and asked them to lodge a credit for when I need work on the car. Anyway.. long story short, I owe them 40 pounds for the valet they performed for me, so I asked service reception to take this credit against the work.. guess what.. they knew nothing about it.. the sales guy has now left... and her answer was "well it's only 40 pounds. You pay the full amount, then you can discuss the refund with accounts. Anyway, I can't apply a credit as its from a different department"...

The sooner the better that these dealers understand the simply rule, Customer loyalty is directly affected by customer satisfaction
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #9
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
The sooner the better that these dealers understand the simply rule, Customer loyalty is directly affected by customer satisfaction
What appalling service, you have every right to be annoyed.
Name and shame the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
pmw103
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dreaming of a F10

Dad is having the same issue with the remote, having to periodically or actually more frequently hold it up close to the steering column.

Today he was told his phone could be interfering with it and he should turn it off when in the car! Kind of makes the handsfree phone functionality hard to use!

Was curious to know if any one else was experiencing this issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 03:23 AM   #11
cliveywolves
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport Plus Edition 2020

Oh Knights they are a nightmare, I only live about 15/20 mins from knights in stafford, but refuse to go there now after so much bad/poor service etc, I now travel into Sytner Birmingham which takes me about 1 hour but get the best service from a dealer ive had.

Regarding your remote issue, my remote failed to lock the car the other day but only happened the once since ive had the car...Just used the iphone bmw app instead to lock it... Been ok since

Last edited by cliveywolves; 04-02-2011 at 03:38 AM.. Reason: text
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #12
northernmonkey
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d MSpt

Not had any issues with my remotes (dec 2010 build car) but as a side suggestion if you've got an iPhone have you tried the connecteddrive app from BMW? It can be used to unlock the car as well. Used it on mine (just to see if it worked) a few times and it's ok.
Appreciate 0